How's the Weather Today?

Started by MiniDave, December 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Only about 62° here, partly cloudy with periodic rain - Biblical rain.  If it weren't for the rain, it would be quite comfortable - and I'd be able to cut the knee-high grass.

Hyacinth is currently on vacation, which guarantees poor weather.
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Another 100*+ "roasty-toasty" day.

MiniDave

We had the same sort of biblical rain till about 1 pm, then it cleared up, the sun came out, the humidity went to a million per cent and it got up to the mid 80's..... tonight more rain, only temps are going back into the mid 90's again tomorrow. Typical Kansas summer weather. We missed tornado season this year, maybe they're saving that for this winter?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Whew......a whole 5* this morning! We're in for about two weeks of REAL winter weather......depending on which service you go by, our High temp this next Sat will be 8*!

A good time to not be able to work in the shop, but god this is boring......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

23 with a fine layer of ice from the freezing mist down here.

skmini

Don't get me started on winter weather.  It's -37 (-51 with the wind chill) right now, -41 overnight. The good news is the sky is clear.  Luckily the garage/shop is heated, and better insulated than the house.

MiniDave

I'd love to be down in the shop today getting something done or built, but I'm stuck up in the house watching the snowglobe outside......the shop is holding at 38* so nothing is freezing at least, but when my small compressor tries to start (must have a small air leak somewhere, it runs about once every day and a half for about 1 minute) it really struggles.

SKmini how do you heat your shop, nat gas? propane? electric? in-floor heat?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

Quote from: MiniDave on February 08, 2021, 09:12:59 AM
SKmini how do you heat your shop, nat gas? propane? electric? in-floor heat?

The most expensive running cost: electricity.  Most of the electricity generation here is coal; I sometimes wonder how much has been burned to heat the shop.  I put in a 60amp/220v service into the garage years ago that I don't regret.  No problem running the compressor, welder and heater at the same time. The natural gas line for the house goes right past the shop and I should have moved the meter and put in a natural gas radiant heater at the same time I upgraded the electrical service. 

cstudep

We were at -3 the last 2 mornings with highs around 3 for they day. Saturdays high is currently set for -2 with a low of -20.

BruceK

I guess I shouldn't mention the t-shirt and shorts weather here of 72°.

So I won't.  ;D

Of course 5 months from now it will be so freakin' hot here that it will be quite unbearable to work outside.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Red Riley

58 degrees and sunny here. Driving with the windows down.

94touring

What normally takes 25 minutes to get to the shop took 2 hours today. Only about 45 minutes on the way home. Lot's of freezing rain today. 

MiniDave

Your truck is 2WD, isn't it? Put some weight in the back?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Took some air pressure out of the rear.  My driving wasn't the problem, it was everyone else losing control and wrecking.

MiniDave

No, I figured that.....just thought it was probably icy from your description.

We seem to get two extremes here when the roads get bad - those driving 10 mph on the highway with the flashers on and those who think it must be 70* and sunny even tho there are cars in the ditches on both sides of the road......idiots in other words.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

16 and flurries this morning. Having my coffee before attempting the trip back to the shop.  My driveway at and street to the shop was one sheet of ice when I left yesterday as it was.  The slight slope down the street before going back up meant no braking action.  I just got it pointed straight and let it idle it's way down to the end of the street to where they had sanded the main road.  On the way there yesterday there were so many wrecks on hyw75 that it was completely shut down.  I took back roads which turned out to be difficult. I could only do about 20mph before getting squirrely.  One section up a hill I wasn't sure I'd make it.  Too many cars and trucks in ditches to count.  One guy in a dually truck stuck at the top of a hill in the middle of the road with his wheels just spinning.

MiniDave

Might be a good day to just stay home?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They salted and sanded last night apparently because I was able to do the speed limit without any worries.  Shop street is still sketchy but I can deal with that.

jedduh01

East coast  warm !   68ish today = Teeshirt + Open windows

That cold front is coming our way sadly.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 08, 2021, 02:14:10 PM
I guess I shouldn't mention the t-shirt and shorts weather here of 72°.

So I won't.  ;D

Of course 5 months from now it will be so freakin' hot here that it will be quite unbearable to work outside.

All good things must end.  The forecast for next week is that it will be freakin' 13° here.  And snowing.  That's like absolute zero for us. Kelvin. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Ha! Does your furnace work well?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday here is forecast to be 7,7, and 5.

MiniDave

Highs or lows?

Those are the highs for us!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 09, 2021, 05:55:42 PM
Ha! Does your furnace work well?

Houses around here don't have furnaces.  Seriously.  Heat pump is all there is. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S