How's the Weather Today?

Started by MiniDave, December 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G67mcs

I'm not envying you folks with snow and single digit temps. Has been raining a lot here in GA, pretty cool for the area earlier this week at mid 20's. More rain tonight and tomorrow, then mid-50's over weekend. All in all not terrible provided we dry out.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

tsumini

After growing up in southern Colorado and the routine minus 20/30 I have to say the this storm was more miserable than any I had seen in Colorado. The local power companies was doing rolling blackouts and didn't inform the local water company so the water ran out and they shut it off. So they advised to boil water when it comes back on. Water company didn't protest the shutoff either.
Will be a big deal next week. Dems already weaponizing it.

gr8kornholio

It's crazy how quickly Mother Nature can make all the things we take as normal and crush them.  Also quickly exposes extreme inadequacies in our systems.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

I read an article yesterday that indicated ERCOT has known about the "bad winter weather" weakness of the Texas grid since the last big snowstorm like this in 1984.  It was deemed "too costly to upgrade" compared with how "rare" such storms would be.  Since then, the state population has grown considerably, placing greater demand on the system.

MiniDave

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 18, 2021, 07:17:56 AM
It's crazy how quickly Mother Nature can make all the things we take as normal and crush them.  Also quickly exposes extreme inadequacies in our systems.

I didn't know that they ran the water pipes in the attics down there, instead of in the slab, so when a pipe does break it may be a little more accessible, but it wreaks havoc on the rest of the house with the water cascading down thru the ceiling.

It's funny too how your perceptions change - this morning it was 15 when I got up and the sun was shining, when I let the boys out it feels almost balmy compared to when it was -15 a few days ago! By Monday it will be in the 50's here tho it looks like the cold will hold onto the south for a little longer than us....for a while there it actually hurt to use the handle on the outer door, it was so cold.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It warmed up to the 20s here.  Then we got 5 more inches of show.  It will be in the teens tonight so lots of ice will form on the compacted snow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

If it's a single story your good cause they are all in a slab, except for maybe exterior wall rooms with plumbing running up to faucets.  The people having the issues are multi story homes.  They build a lot of odd ball second floors around here, where the plumbing can't be inside the core of the house.  Like our master, it's above the garage in what is technically the garage attic space.  If they had run the plumbing under the floor, or in the walls where there is proper insulation we may have been fine. But, the crazy thing is we improved the insulation, the pipes were buried in 2 ft of blown in insulation, and wrapped.  Still popped. 

Good thing is the other side has thawed and no leaks. So plumber was wrong and I'll be asking for a discount on our gas line job he is going to do.  Figure I deserve it anyway for all the referrals I got him too.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

pbraun

Here in lovely coastal North Carolina, things were pretty normal but for a very wet start of the year, seemed like we had rain for most of a month, then a few days ago at 11:30 pm a huge F3 tornado hit close to where we live, about 25 miles east, and caused massive wreckage and loss - 275 yards wide and many miles long, 3 dead and many injuries..... working to help......
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

BruceK

A week ago it was 7° here and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground, with four more inches following several days later.   

Today it is sunny and 76°

We were extremely fortunate in that our electricity did not go out, and none of our pipes froze. Of course a lot of people were not so lucky and are still dealing with the aftermath.   Lots of lessons to be learned from this mess.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'm in Dallas today, it's beautiful out.  Grocery store in the walmart completely wiped out on an apoplectic level.

MiniDave

68* today and blue skies.  I walked all the way to the end of the block and back with the boys....tonight we're headed out to dinner at Jack Stack, our favorite BBQ restaurant.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: 94touring on February 23, 2021, 03:32:22 PM
I'm in Dallas today, it's beautiful out.  Grocery store in the walmart completely wiped out on an apoplectic level.

You mean apocalyptic ?

MiniDave

Whew! Spring has sprung.....sunny, 68*, low humididty and breezy. Hope this doesn't mean we're getting snow this weekend - or worse, like a tornado!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Very strange here.  A cold south wind. Said it was 70 but it didn't feel like it. Supposed to get rain by weekend.

MiniDave

We hit 76 today, but we'll be in the 50's tomorrow and thru the weekend - we must be getting the same system, rain for us this weekend too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I had the shop door open today it was so nice out.

MiniDave

Me too - the shop was 55 this morning so I had to warm it up!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So.....it's raining. Not too badly right now, just a steady shower, but the weather guessers claim we're going to get hammered later today - pretty much all day and all night, then tomorrow it's going to.....rain - all day. By Monday evening it should stop and be mostly dry Tues and then on Wed, more rain!

I got the boys out this morning so they could do their business, but this afternoon could be interesting trying to get them to go out.

I'm thankful I'm not in Denver, northern Colorado, Wyoming or Nebraska today. Traveling there will be pretty much impossible for the next day or two.....my sister in Denver said it started about 11 am, by 5 they only had about 6 inches but it was supposed to really ramp up over night.

Edit: The storm has moved in - the wind is literally howling around the house now!

And my computer just reset itself to Daylight Savings Time, phone still hasn't changed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Pouring here.  Went out to the shop for a few hours yesterday and it must have dumped buckets because there was flooding in the area.

MiniDave

We've just had light rain, but the wind is howling....between the wind and the rain I bet we see a lot of trees down.

My sister in Denver says it's finally hit them - it's full on blizzard and they've gotten a foot in the last couple of hours.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

It all missed us. Must've stayed north of us.

MiniDave

Spring has finally sprung, and in Kansas that means Tar-naders!

So yesterday they were prepping us for a full day and night of T-storms, rain, hail, tornados and.....just armagedden type weather starting this afternoon. So I got up early today and mowed, edged, trimmed bushes, picked up sticks and in general did as much yard work as I could to try and get ahead of the storms.

So, thus far we've had nothing but warm temps, sunny skies and soft easy breezes.....weather guessers!

A few days ago they told us to expect to have 5 days of steady rain and storms......you watch, it'll be hot and humid and not a drop of rain. Looking at the radar it seems to be moving in a broad arc around us from Colorado to the top of Nebraska and back down thru Misery and points east....

Mind you we could use some rain.....looks now like they say we may get some tonight and tomorrow, but I don't see how as the clouds seem to be moving around us. We'll see.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

80s today and tomorrow with 30mph winds.  Then barely 60 mon-wed. 

Yea, weather guessers. Usually the more they hype it up the less happens.  I always worry when they are like, just some rain and such, then all hell breaks loose.

MiniDave

Wow, Indian summer has hit Kansas City (why is it called that?) anyway - yesterday when I got up it was 51, later that day it 90! But it's dry and breezy so not bad at all - that lack of humidity really makes a difference!

We get three more days of near 90's temps then it will drop back into the 80's.....if it stays dry I'll be loving it!

Won't be all that long before we see cold and rain - and maybe snow - again......

This winter come January-February I'm determined to get out of the nasty and go somewhere nice - I could go visit my son in Phoenix, maybe hang out in his shop for a while and play with his X1/9 Honda build, or maybe just do some desert road driving. I'd love to go back to Jerome and spend a few days.....Prescot will be nice that time of year too I'll bet.

Even better, go to Sandy Eggo again for a few weeks and hang out near the ocean again. I miss being able to hop in my boat and head due west till I lost sight of the land and just sit and float, read a book and have a cold drink.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've been on a rambling road trip for the past 10 days or so, spending most of the time in rural Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia.  Other than some rainy days at the start, the weather has been absolutely fantastic - clear days with lows in the 50s and highs in the low 70s, and low humidity too.  There's just a touch of Autumn in the air - although the trees have not changed into fall colors yet (bummer).   

My wife and I toured the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in Washington DC today.   They are undergoing a major renovation so many exhibits were closed, but my wife and I did get to see some pretty incredible things:  the actual Wright Brothers' airplane, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis monoplane, the Bell X-1 that Chuck Yeager flew through the sound barrier, and John Glenn's Mercury space capsule in which he was the first American to orbit the earth (it looks so crudely made - like someone built it in a basement - it must have taken real balls to climb into that little tin car sitting on top of an explosive rocket and trust it would all work).   Coming out of the museum onto the National Mall I looked up in the clear blue sky to see a passenger jetliner making contrails high up in the sky - and I thought back to the Wright Bro's plane I had just seen and how so much came from that first effort. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S