How's the Weather Today?

Started by MiniDave, December 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Well, it's warmer right now than it has been in three days - 29* isn't saying much but it should get into the 40's today and the next few days, so hopefully that will melt the rest of the snow on the roads. The highways are pretty much clear but some neighborhoods are really rough, as after the plows came thru and chewed everything up, it's partially melted and refrozen several times. Makes for very slidey conditions especially in the shade areas..... I was driving out of my neighborhood yesterday - doing about 20 mph - and as I came up to the main road I eased on the brakes and it felt like the car accelerated! Fortunately there was a clear spot for my left tire about 10 feet before the intersection and when I hit that the tire bit - also I was lucky there was an opening in the traffic right then, but scary stuff when you realize you're no longer in control and just a passenger headed for a big crash!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 28, 2018, 09:12:08 AM
Well, it's warmer right now than it has been in three days -29* isn't saying much

Kinda depends if that is a hyphen or a minus sign you got yourself there.   :-\
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You have a point there!

29*

all the way up to 38* now  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

It was 70 in the afternoon today
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

MiniDave

we got up to about 40 in Denver today....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Weird weather, a storm blew thru last night - from the south - so we went from the high 20's to the mid 50's during the night!

Tomorrow's high will struggle to get to 30*......tonight's low will be 16....so 25 to 55 to 16 in one day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

6" of heavy wet snow so far and it's still coming down....my neighbor got to get out the huge snowblower he bought 4 years ago - first time since he bought it! He already had my drive done by the time I got up this am, but we have another inch down since then, so I'll have to hit it again either later tonight or tomorrow morning once it stops.

The worst part was getting it off the cars - stuff is heavy and doesn't push easily.

The whole neighborhood has tree branches down and we have power outages all over town - including Don's house - I have the genset ready to run if needed but so far we're good. You can see in my pic how heavy the snow is on the power lines, and tree branches are lying on the lines too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea that supper wet snow is bad for all that. Great for playing in though.  Got several of those the years I lived in colo springs. One year lost one whole side of the giant pine tree in the front yard.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Dave,

Are "The Boys" having fun in the snow?

MiniDave

Remo loves it, Neo not so much. The snow really packs into their fur, the only way to get it out is to put them in the sink and use the sprayer to rinse it off. Then I have to dry them off so they won't get cold. We have little snow jackets for them, but they don't cover their legs or belly.....

I refilled the bird feeder and it's well populated right now! We go thru about 10 lbs a week in the winter, but I'm happy to do it. Birds eat bugs. When the birds land or take off from a branch it really shakes the snow off and the limbs rebound upward....tree companies will have a bonanza next week as soon as it warms up a bit - broken branches down all over the place.

We're supposed to get hit again next Sat....not a good time to be travelling.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I don't miss the snow at all.  My son lives in Wisconsin and he texted me this morning saying it was -17 F with a -55 F wind chill factor there.   I asked him if that meant he would not be wearing shorts and flip flops. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

Sunny and 40* today and tomorrow, then getting colder and colder next week, down to 0* by Wed night.

Time to get some work done in the shop!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We are having a lot of maintenance issues on our planes up there due to the cold.  Sounds like we're having to leave the apu's running over night to keep power and heat on the planes.

MiniDave

Don't the APU's suck a lot of fuel? Don't the planes have provision for plug-in shore power?

Woke up to -3* this am, high of 5*, then tomorrow it's supposed to be almost 40! By Sunday we're supposed to be in the 60's for a couple of days - crazy winter!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Glad that stuff didn't drift this far south.  It was 28 yesterday, but today back to 50's and up into the weekend.  Y'all stay warm

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Went to bed last night it was 1* outside, got up this morning and it was 15! We may get into the 30's this afternoon, and it's supposed to hit the 60's this weekend. I hope it does so I can get some of this paintwork done that I need. Crazy temp swings this winter.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I know a whole lot of the US is experiencing some really crazy cold weather – my son is in Wisconsin and it was -25F there today.

But it's a little warmer here (in the 30s this morning) and I was very surprised to see several honey bees sitting on top of my mailbox this afternoon when I got home from work.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I went to bed last night it was 1*, when I woke up it was 15*, and this afternoon it hit 36* - supposed to be 45* tomorrow and almost 60 the rest of the weekend!

Frigid in Chicago today too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Get some work done in the shop then?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I left for work about 6:45, it was 41*....by 8 am it was 29*, and that was the high for today.....even tho the weather service insists it was supposed to be 60* today! We did hit 60 yesterday, but it was cloudy, spitting rain and way high humidity all day, so not exactly a pleasant spring day.

Tomorrow and Wed we get freezing rain and snow......oh joy.

'Ol Phil didn't see his shadow, so we're supposed to have an early spring, but we're forecasted for30's and low 40's for the next two weeks and single or low two digit temps at night  - spring can't come soon enough for me!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

We had spring today in TX (80). Tomorrow too. Then gloom comes Wednesday and winter is back by Thursday.

MiniDave

How's the weather?

We got all kinds of it here! T-storms? Fog? Lightning? Snow? Sleet? Rain? Tornados? Flash floods?- you bet - we got all that, and all on the same day!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's what our weather guy refers to as "thunder sleet".  We got 60+ mph winds, inch hail and torrential rain overnight, but it was long gone before temps dropped into the 30's with 20mph n. wind that we have now.