Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Well, the Mini was originally supposed to be "just an automotive appliance".

Fate decided otherwise and the Mini became so much more than an appliance.

BruceK

Edd China, of Wheeler Dealers fame, tackles some some regular Mini maintenance items on his Mini-based Outspan Orange car.  It's a nice refresher video if you haven't performed these maintenance items lately.

I'm guessing he was bumping the starter instead of rolling the car in fourth gear to adjust the valves because they didn't want to change the camera setup?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

That and it was up on the lift?

The timing thing was confusing.....22* @ 5000 rpm? I wonder if that was plus 10* static or something, cause I normally set mine at about 32* at 5K.

At least he got the order right - valves, then timing and carb last.

I'll bet he doesn't drive that thing over 50 mph, it looks like the chassis is about 1/2 the length of a regular Mini!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Did anyone else notice that the carb on the Outspan Orange appears to be turned around 180* with a gooseneck between the carb and the intake?

BruceK

I think this short video may sum up driving a Mini in the rain.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

What made me laugh was that the wiper dropped forward onto the edge of the bonnet and stayed there - did not fly off the car.

BruceK

I've had a windshield wiper quit and walk out when it was needed most before - just like in the video. That's what cracked me up. Of course it really increased the performance of the remaining wiper as the wiper motor only had to expend half the effort.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Mine are brand new and act like that.  Turned on quick for the inspection and all kinds of wiper crazy happened. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on September 09, 2022, 03:42:06 PM
What made me laugh was that the wiper dropped forward onto the edge of the bonnet and stayed there - did not fly off the car.

I've literally had that happen lol

MiniDave

What they do in Switzerland - in the rain!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

What a great variety of cars!  I think that DeTomaso P72 sure is tasty.  Looks fantastic and sounds incredible.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

This weekend Don and I went down to the new Ozarks International (?) Racetrack to watch the vintage cars run. I did not have the turnout I was expecting - usually there are at least 200 cars at one of these, some tracks have way more than that even - but holee crap what a cool track this is!

We got to take some laps at lunch time and wow what a cool track this is. I really wish I would have had my in car cam with me, but the vids I've seen on You Tube don't really show just how steep these elevation changes are.
this track has it all, tight turns, long sweepers, roller coaster sections, on camber, off camber, hairpins - you name it.

This short vid is only to show that you can watch 4 sections of the track from one spot!

It's the only vid I took all weekend, if I find some of the ones that were taken by our "group" in car, I'll post the links here.

This video in a Porsche probably gives the best view of just how steep and roller coastery this track is - I SO want to run this in a classic Mini!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Here is a live stream from Laguna Seca
Mini vs Mustangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=363hyI5fdd8

Now that is is not live, it looks like the link goes to the whole day.
Minis and Mustangs are the last hour

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Who knew they had power windows in Minis in the 1970's or 80's, eh?  71.gif

Me likey ! 4.gif

Wonder what he used for motors.  Seems like they're even strong enough to snap/lock them shut.  :D
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

gr8kornholio

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

$335 plus shipping. Cool but I can just reach back.

BruceK

Mini factory build video. But unlike other early 1960s Mini build footage you may have seen, this shows how later model Minis were being built at Longbridge in the mid-1990s.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Ran across this incredible functioning relay computer from the early 1950's Japan. For an enginerd like me this stuff is fun to watch!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Definitely a major brown pants moment! Not sure how traction was lost, but holy crap that Mini did some fancy moves.  Anyone know whose Mini that was?

A side note:  How can you witness that event unfolding in front of you on the road and not say a word? I mean I understand being stoic but that's just crazy. Personally, I'm A LOT more vocal than that. If I stub my toe, within a nanosecond I immediately express my surprise and thoughts quite out loud using lots of colorful descriptive language!  I would be providing play by play on the Mini spinout on my dashcam!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

That's how I enter all highways  :steeringwheel:

I saw this vid the other day on facebook or something and someone said black ice, but I didn't see any snow around.  Maybe temps were below freezing though.  The roads were wet looking. 

jeff10049

Wow, good thing the other cars had the traction to slow down.

gr8kornholio

The way it just breaks loose you have to feel there was something on the road that caused the loss of traction.  Could have removed the audio.