Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Interesting WWII training film on submarine diesels of all sorts, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, opposed piston etc.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Sure looked like more than 40 miles to me - you don't kill a rod bearing THAT badly in 40 miles unless you have zero oil pressure - in which case the main bearing part of the crank would have been blue.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm sure Austin Powers could learn a thing our two from this driver.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I didn't count - how many point turn was that?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It's a 300-horsepower power, under 1,600 lbs, Tesla-powered classic Mini!

Looks fantastic.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

I watched that last night after googling ev classic minis.  Way better than the anemic 100 mile range one out on the market. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

I am not a big fan of converting classics to be but this one looks well executed the only negative being the torque steer but you have to expect that with the hp figures and fwd.

BruceK

This is one video from a whole series (ten episodes I think) on the build of this Mk I Mini Cooper model.  Very skilled maker who really knows the Mini and adds so many details beyond what just comes in the kit itself. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

So based upon all the engineering, prototyping, and fabricating done on that 300 hp Mini above, a kit to electrify your classic Mini has been developed.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wonder what a turn key car from Gildred Racing will run? Their current 500hp rear drive V-6 engined cars start about $150K I think......

The talk about making them reversible seems pointless to me, who would bother putting a gas motor back in? And who would convert a "priceless" Cooper S to electric in the first place when there are so many later model cars?

With that said, it seems a no brainer to make this a rear drive car and eliminate the torque steer and other issues.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

This video shows some very, very nice Minis at a show in the UK

But your really should check out the extremely unusual alternative engine at 7:18.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Attack of the vent windows!   It's quarter light mania!!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Where those ever factory installed on UK cars?   If not that's a lot of door importing from Australia. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 27, 2022, 04:17:05 PM
Where those ever factory installed on UK cars?   If not that's a lot of door importing from Australia.

Why all  those Australian doors?  That's because that second video I posted today is from a Mini show which happened in Oz!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

I didn't care for the filming in the Brit video. It showed more of the floor than the Minis.

BruceK

But what about the Harley Davidson V-twin powered Mini?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I noticed a distinct lack of Mokes in the video of the Aussie show - I glimpsed only one yellow Moke in the background as the person walked around.

I did also glimpse a Broadspeed GT looking Mini in the background at one point as well as the Mini Marcos GT.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 28, 2022, 05:47:03 AM
But what about the Harley Davidson V-twin powered Mini?

I spoke with the owner of the Harley V twin engined van at the IMM 60 in Bristol UK a few years back.
IIRC he told me he used an Alfa axle as it is rwd. When I asked him how it performed he basically said he had a hard time getting the clutch right and there was a lack of torque with the Harley engine and he led me to believe it did not perform as well as expected.

BruceK

To me the amazing part about this Mini was not the before/after comparison, but the fact that this is a daily driver Mini, 40 years old, that lives in the UK near the coast and it's in pretty darn good shape! 

You can tell the owner really loves her car.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It must live in a garage or shed to be that rust free.... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was wondering how it didn't have any rust but she drove it all over.

BruceK

Anybody else watching the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed livestreams?   I'm really enjoying seeing so many different types of cars running. There's everything from ancient Grand Prix cars to Baja trophy trucks to experimental electric cars to Ferraris to old rally cars to Le Mans racecars to Ford Raptor pickup trucks and more running up that hill. 

Here's one of the numerous videos of this year's festival    Oh, some of these livestreams are 7 or more hours long, so I'm watching therm on YouTube on my living room TV and just fast-forwarding to parts I wanna see.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

Interesting video.  If that 9X had replaced the Mini I don't think anyone would fall in love with it like people do with the classic Mini.  It would have been just an automotive appliance.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S