How's the Weather Today?

Started by MiniDave, December 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Our road is covered in ice, so my neighbor got out his sled and had some fun!

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

gr8kornholio

22 feels like 11 with wind.  Was 80 on Tuesday.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

We're at 7* this morning and it snowed again last night, but not much and it was a very dry snow - it's already melted off the windows that face the sun on the car in the morning. Today it's sunny and bright, so I expect it to get up to 20* today.

We had about 4" of ice on the front steps so I had to get my biggest crowbar out to chip it off, otherwise we couldn't go down the steps as the ice was rounded off so much you just couldn't balance on the step.

I also used about 8 gallons of hot water to get the ice off the windshield of the Audi (all wheel drive so it can get around fine in this stuff) but I didn't even bother to do the MINI Clubman yesterday.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 08, 2019, 09:11:04 AM

I also used about 8 gallons of hot water to get the ice off the windshield of the Audi (all wheel drive so it can get around fine in this stuff) but I didn't even bother to do the MINI Clubman yesterday.

I've heard of doing that, but never heard of the result coming out well -- meaning a huge crack in the windshield is the result.  But it works for you?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yes, you just start at the top and don't pour it all at once, just let it run down the windshield. Bonus, you have clean windows when you're done!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wonderful......starting tonight we're supposed to get even more freezing rains, sleet followed by snow - all weekend! And I have to work on Monday....nothing like getting up at 6am to scrape 1/2" of ice off of car windows in the dark and in 15* temps. Glad I don't do this for a living!

Wait a minute.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Cardboard trick.  You know, put a large piece of cardboard on the windshield and use the wipers to hold it down.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Bright, clear, sunny, mid-to-upper 60's with some breeze.

Took the Moke out to run to brunch, then a couple hours driving into the lower hill country between San Antonio and Boerne.

Needed the drive - both the Moke and myself.  Been a stressful week with more haggling over trying to renegotiate the pay terms of my contracting.  It has not been going well - the client has not been negotiating in good faith and dragging out paying my January invoice until the last possible day.  I may be done with them.

MiniDave

Time for them to see if they can get along without you? When things don't go well for them, it will make negotiating much easier - if you choose to go back with them. But you may be too busy with your new, better clients.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'm basically waiting to see if they actually follow through with paying my January invoice in some manner by Wednesday.  Then figuring out what to do next.

gasmini

MiniDave

We got about 5" last night., but the sun is out today and the driveway and roads are already cleared. We're supposed to get more on Sat, so I'm hopeful that I can retrieve the Green Mini from storage on Friday and get it home before the next one hits us.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I have a sunburn.. No shit.

This awesome whiskey is helping.  Can I get an Amen Mudhen?

;D

This was from Monday, that plus Tues and I am toast now.  I am honestly hoping for another cold snap, typically god punishes the spring breakers, so we are close to getting some cool weather soon.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

We're supposed to get T-Storms tomorrow night, rain Sat and snow Sat night! Again with the snow and ice!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I cleaned this railing off this morning we went from no snow to way too much at once I got the damn tractor stuck this morning trying to plow out the driveway.
Eventually, the wife and I got to work.

gr8kornholio

That's a lot of thick wet snow.  It's a roller coaster here.  34-60-50-75-45-35 really makes my sinuses come alive.

MiniDave

Yeah, we were supposed to hit 48 today, we got to 31 and it's going back down....

I think by Sat we're supposed to get the snow storm that Jeff had....oh joy.

I was ready for winter to be over 2 months ago!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So, on Monday morning it was 22° F with a windchill to 9°F.  Four days later, it is a balmy 81°F.    Crazy. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I hope you send some of that balmy up here! We almost hit 40* today....

Tomorrow we're supposed to get t-storms, rain and almost 50*, followed by freezing temps tomorrow night!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Just rained golf ball size hail here for about 30 minutes along with probably an inch of rain.  Doesn't look like it's done either.  This one may have finally done our roof in.  Carport held up really well though. 

MiniDave

All we had were grey skies, no rain.....but my allergies are in full swing and kickin my ass!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Mark, sorry to hear about the hail.   Hope it's not too bad, but golf ball size hail will definitely leave some sort of damage.

We really lucked out. That same storm didn't hit us just 5 miles south of you.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Thanks Bruce, glad we were home and not out in it.  Didn't see much damage, but I'll need to get someone out to look at the roof.  Carport held up really well, it must be older and made of real metal.

gr8kornholio

Well roof is toast. Not surprised, it's 16 years old which is long life in north Texas.  Now to wait to end of storm season to file. Cause as we've seen it could happen again this spring.