Mini Ecoboost Project

Started by MiniDave, June 26, 2016, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

Dave - I was talking to a friend about your ecu issues with the 1 litre Eco boost.  He suggested that you look at a company called MegaSquirt.  You can buy and program your own ecu. Just a suggestion.

Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

Thanks Devin, I'm well familiar with Megasquirt......and quite a few others....there is in fact one company that builds an ECU specifically for the 1L Eco motor complete with harness, but manual trans only and no plans to do an autobox version (spendy too, almost $2k!) - and I really wanted to do an automatic.

None of the aftermarket ECU's will run an autobox for that matter....

Ford is now offering an ECU for this motor also, but again - it only runs the motor.

I'm now back to the planning stage - either I have to engineer a manual shift linkage and make it a stick, or go with a different motor - probably Honda - where there's plenty of aftermarket support. 
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

What about using a standalone controller and making it work with the trans? I couldn't image that the transmission would be more difficult to control over any other transmission. They all have solenoids that controls line pressure and shifting.

It would be a little bit of an experiment though and would require some programming, so it would involve you installing the engine and hoping that  you can get the controller to work.

Engineering the Impossible

jeff10049

Good thought Merlin,
But not on this car  I'm pretty sure all the autos in these are actually dual clutch manuals and no one is making stand-alone controllers that I know of. Even the ford  factory TCM works poorly compared to other makes with dual clutch autos  Ford sorta failed on the dual clutch manuals that work like automatics they call it the power shift or select shift.

Owners of them call it the power maybe, someday, later, eventually, nevermind, forget about it, to late, shift. 

Maybe they offer a conventional auto but I have yet to see one they changed the name and ratios but from the reviews, I read it's still a poorly working dual clutch.

If a conventional auto is available then yes I think a stand alone controller could be made to work.

Jeff

MiniDave

Well, this project is not dead, I'm still thinking/planning but I've been spending all my free time lately wrenching on and driving the racing green Mini......

I'm almost to the point of just building a D Series Vtec and calling it good, after all they're readily available and software support is all over. Of course, it will have to be a stick if I do......and while I'd prefer a modern 6 speed auto box, I can live with it.

I'll be changing out the diff for my buddy with the Vtec pickup this winter, so I'll get a good feel for the work and what ratio to use once his is done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That's definitely the easy way.  Would you buy a kit and just bolt it in and go, or fab your own subframe?

LilDrunkenSmurf

I really want to build a B series, but the cost of the subframe is holding me back.

roadhouse

The minitec kits look super nice... lots of options

MiniDave

I will build my own subframe, but I might use their axles and ECU if I go D series Vtec.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Iffen yer gonna do a stick shift why not stay eco boost? don't go to the dark side  do something different  ;D. Or if you go honda mount it longitudinal and feed one axel to a front diff and one to a rear diff for AWD.

MiniDave

Well, this project has slowly been coming back to life!

I'm in negotiations with an engine provider - and it will be an EcoBoost after all.....only they can't find me a three cylinder, so we're going with the engine out of a Focus ST - 4 cyl turbocharged with 252 HP and 275 torques, in a turn key package with the transmission (a 6 speed) and the ECU already modified to remove all the crap I don't need, so it will just be the stock engine management system - however, if I can find a tuner I can bump that up to 300 hp easily. Don't know that I'll need or even want to do that, but it's nice to know it's in there!

Cost will be close to or about what I would pay for a stock engine and trans from Mini Mania.....yes of course I can build one for less than they charge, but I'm just using them for comparison of what you get for what you spend.

This company delivers a crated engine on a pallet, ready to run. Hook up gas and a battery and turn the key and it will run on the pallet....radiator, air cleaner, intercooler etc all there and plumbed in.

Of course then the real fun begins, getting it into the back of the Mini, but I figure if MiniTec can do it with a V6 Honda motor and trans, I can do this too.

I'll let you all know what I got once negotiations are complete. Delivery could take up to 6 months as they are really backlogged with work, but that's OK. I have plenty to do to get ready before they ship the motor to me. They provide the vin of the car that the motor came from so you can look it up and prove mileage etc. They even provide pics of the car it came out of.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow that's exciting news! I remember when you first started formulating this idea years ago.  So it's just been kind of percolating in your brain and now it's starting to come together. How exciting!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

bikewiz

I have a '16 ST it's a great engine. Ford Performance has a kit M-FR1-FSTA that does a nice job of increasing power but not making it undriveable. They also benefit from a catch can as they're DI only so you can residue in the intake tracks.

MiniDave

Boy howdy do I know about direct injection, since my 2009 MINI also has it. I cleaned the ports at about 50K, but I'm probably due to do it again since I'm over 100K now.

Are there good aftermarket support parts places, or do you just go to the dealer for bits?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bikewiz

Even though they don't make the ST for the US market any longer performance parts and spares are still readily available. CJ Pony parts, Mountune, and Ford Performance are just a few.

MiniDave

Thanks!   77.gif

First things first, I need to get the thing here, see what I have and figure out how to mount it in the car......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

how cool is that what an easy way to overcome some of the ecu/tuning issues we talked about early on. I don't think packages were available at that time at least not that I was aware of.
Looking forward to this. 
I had a thought about the new mini turbo 3cyliner not sure how it compares size wise but then your back to overcoming all kinds of ecu/tuning issues as Im fairly certain its not offered in any kind of performance package.

MiniDave

I thought a couple of times about using a MINI turbo motor - 3 & 4 cyl, but I know BMW's software has to be even more complicated than Fords, and I seriously doubt there's anyone doing a stripped ECU for them.

Ford has always offered a stripped ECU for the 2.0 and 2.3 motors, but still don't do one for the 3 cyl as far as I know......but it was REALLY spendy, about $2500 including a wiring harness just for the ECU.

I think since they started using the 2.3 motors in Mustangs, pickups and pretty much everything else they make that it's really opened up interest in these motors as sports car or hot rod motors instead of the usual LS.

The next challenge will be getting a taller final drive for it, since this car came with 18" wheels, the RPM difference looks to be about 1.6, so 3K on 18's would be 4800 on 13's.....with as much torque as this makes I don't need it wound up like that on the highway.

Bikewiz, what are you turning at 70 mph?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Actually, you might be surprised it's probably easier to deal with the DME programming in a BMW.
Not suggesting you go that way but I wouldn't worry about programming or support for the BMW stuff it can be done.

bikewiz

Quote from: MiniDave on June 30, 2022, 05:02:27 PM
Bikewiz, what are you turning at 70 mph?

I'll check on the next drive but I believe it's just shy of 3K maybe 2700 @ 70 the six speed is geared pretty low. My car has stock wheels/tires.

MiniDave

I sent another email to my engine supplier as he's gone radio and email silent over the last 10 days or more.

In the threads of guys who have used them they also said communication was not easy or regular with these guys, but as they seem to be the only one doing the Ecoboost conversions, so they put up with it and in the end got the exact package they wanted Worth the wait if the end results work out I guess.

Dan picked up my Fortech flares from my sister's place in Denver - his only comment "they're huge!" I got them from a guy in the Rocky Mtn region Mini club, I guess he bought them for a project he was doing and went another way. As they're unobtanium now I was happy to score them for my project. Mania sold them for $900 a set last time they had them, which looks to be a while ago. 7Ent had them for less but neither has had stock for over a year.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, the powerplant is ordered and a deposit paid, delivery isn't expected for 6 months due to their backlog of work. That will give me time to get the shop cleaned out and final projects done. I have one more engine I could build and sell just to get it out of the shop and build up a little more cash but I don't know if I'll do it....we'll see. I have a Sprite differential to rebuild and some work to do on my green Mini, then I can sell off all my extra "stuff" and clear the decks. I think it will take all of those 6 months to get ready to start the project!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Just spoke to the engine guys, they say I should have it in two weeks! Of course, that's just the beginning of the project. Still.....moving forward.  :13:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Now the fun begins!  Working for yourself and solving problems as they come up.  I think you're really going to enjoy this!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

OK, so it was a little more than two weeks, more like 3 months! However, the good news is that it looks like it will ship this week......here are some teaser photos.

Of course since this is a junkyard engine it will need a lot of clean and paint to make it ready to go into the car, many months of work ahead....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad