Mini Ecoboost Project

Started by MiniDave, June 26, 2016, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Excellent! Thanks for the input!

I have Alldata access too, as well as Mitchell, but I haven't jumped into it yet. Yes, I want the auto trans and in fact without letting out too much info I plan to use as much of the car as I can to minimize the modifications....hell, I might even wind up with cruise control!  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Delivered the 67 Cooper S to Dan's shop today, and he and I discussed the work needed for my shell too. He's got so much work booked in the rest of this year I got a feeling I'll be driving around in primer till the spring - if I'm driving at all!   4.gif

Up to me to find a donor car/engine now.....then I can get going.

In the meantime, I have a few A series engines to build too......another came home with me today and I have two others (one for a Sprite) coming in the next couple of months.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have a feeling you're going to building lots of engines.  I actually talked to a buddy today about asking amongst his mechanic friends for body guys I can hire to tackle all these minis.  7 at the shop right now and 3 more in line. 

MiniDave

To that end I went down to Home Depot and bought a sheet of 3/4" melamine coated pressboard, I routed out some holes on the bottom to accept the stop lugs welded on the lift, that will hold the board in place as I slide things around on it.

Being able to adjust the height of the work surface is a big help to my back, and the melamine surface will clean up easily.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

94touring

All those restoration mini engines  4.gif

MiniDave

There's another in the test stand...sorta. My old block, your trans and cylinder head....... too many taken apart and not enough going back together yet.

It'll be fun when I can start some assembly.....I guess I could go ahead and get the block on the 67 Cooper S engine going, except till I sell it for sure I don't know how the new owner will want it done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Well hopefully my cam and timing chain aren't back ordered much longer. 

MiniDave

Is the second 1100 the one in Rusty? That would make a great turbo or supercharged engine!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It is and that's what I'm thinking about doing.  Then the question is which car do I put it in...

MiniDave

So many choices!   :-[ ;D 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

How much power can one of these trannys actually handle?

Vikram

I can't imagine it's too hard to retro fit the metro turbo setup into one of those? I know you have to change pistons in the 1275 to drop cr, but the 1098 is low enough already.

MiniDave

Yep, should work just fine.....cr for the 998 is 8.3:1, the 1098 is 8.5:1 and the 1275 is 8.8:1, not a lot of difference there....I don't know what the turbo's were.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

I know it's a long way away, but are you planning on running the ecoboost stock as is, or tweaking the boost etc?
I had a quick look, and you weren't lying, ecoboosts are hard to find, especially wrecks....

MiniDave

Stock is 125 hp and 145 torques, that should be plenty!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: Vikram on July 08, 2016, 07:36:37 PM
I can't imagine it's too hard to retro fit the metro turbo setup into one of those? I know you have to change pistons in the 1275 to drop cr, but the 1098 is low enough already.

Actually, you can just add a spacer plate under the headgasket, you don't have to change pistons.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

TJF

MiniDave,

I've thought about the 1.0L ecoboost as a Mini engine since I first heard of it.  I've occasionally been able to find wrecked cars on Copart, but they seem few and far between. An internet friend who does powertrain development for Ford thinks the swap will be too difficult to complete with all the electronics the engine has. The typical stand alone ECU's on the market can't handle the direct injection as far as I know. Ford did build a dune buggy type car that used a 1.0L ecoboost engine, but apparently even for the folks at Ford it was quite a a challenge to get it up and running. I hope you manage to make this work as I would love to see it.

If Ford would support the 1.0L like they do the larger Ecoboost engines and offer a kit it would be nice, although I doubt it would be cheap.

TJF

Here is a video of the Buggy.

Merlin

A very expensive alternative would be to go to a standalone. This would mean butchering the harness.

http://www.motec.com/m1/m1overview/

Motec supports direct injection and a host of other things. I don't know if there is any cam phasing in the ecoboost, but this would be a start at looking into the swap. Motec is generally good at answering engineering questions, so give them a shout.

...after you win the lottery.
Engineering the Impossible

flipstah

Subscribed for shenanigans.  4.gif

94touring

If apexi power fc has anything for an ecoboost I have a data log kit that can be used for tuning.

Merlin

You had talked earlier about using the fiesta because of its size vs the focus which is a little larger and more abundant. I have been looking over the ford parts website for a couple of moments comparing the fiesta trans and axles against the focus and they share the same part number. It may be worth looking into as the 1l fiesta is so hard to come by. Since the axles and hubs are the same, the difference must come in the wheels for the car.

May help with the search if you decided to ditch the dash as part of the swap.

Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Ditch the dash....on the Mini or the Fiesta?

I need to check again but I thought the track was wider on the Fiesta.....

My plan was to use as much of the Fiesta as I could, like the entire dash etc to make it easier - sort of like simply changing the body......

Edit: gotcha....not use the Ford dash as the Focus is different......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wonder if a VW motor would be any easier? Those 2L FSI turbo motors make a lot of power.....and they use them in everything, should be plenty of them around.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad