Mini Ecoboost Project

Started by MiniDave, June 26, 2016, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I've been talking about this for quite a while now, looks like I'm going to get started on it at last!

The donor car will be a late model Fiesta or Focus, the engine the 1 liter turbo charged 3 cylinder Ecoboost Ford engine, with the 6 speed automatic transmichigan. 125 hp and 145 torques...should be more than enough.

My plan is to mount it in the rear mid-engine position, allowing me room up front for the stock car's radiator and A/C condenser (yep, it will have A/C - no more driving thru Kansas summers in a classic with no A/C) although the wife pointed out that not only will it not have a back seat for our fur kids, but also no luggage room. so I guess either a trailer or a roof top box will be needed when I want to go to far away Mini events.  The fur kids are out of luck, but they're so old (16 now) the only place they ride to these days is the vets.....they won't mind.

I also am having a color decision challenge, I want the car to be really bright to show up well in traffic but I'm not interested in salmon pink! or yellow, orange, purple or even red. Lord knows there are enough red Minis out there even tho I like it in red. So I'm thinking lazer blue, or maybe a bright green (I don't like those yellow green metallics you see on the new Camaro and such...too yellow) I did see a classic online that was a very pretty gold with a cream interior - with plenty of chrome bits it actually looked really good.....that was not a color I had ever considered but it was pretty cool looking.

At any rate that decision is far down the road, and first things first.

This is the car that I bought this weekend, a real 67 Cooper S, although the engine is not a Cooper S but a later 1275 with a real Cooper S AEG163 cylinder head. The car used to be rallied regularly so it's a little rough and will need the usual rust repairs to the floors, sills and such.

However, before I get pilloried for cutting up an original Cooper S, this is not the car I'm building - I traded it to Dan for the late model shell he has in his shop - that's the one I'll be cutting to bits!

First I have to get it home and get the motor pulled, then figure out how and when I can bring it down to Dan's shop.

Then I need to buy the donor car - the 3 cyl Ecoboost cars are less than 5% of the wrecked Fiestas and Focus I see online, so it may be a bit before I find the right car, also most of them seem to be hit in the front and I need one that was hit anywhere but the front, as I need all that stuff up there like the radiator, condenser and intercooler.

going to be an interesting project to say the least.

My first inspiration were the Twinis from the 60's, I saw how they mounted the second engine and it seemed to make sense to do a modern engine in the same location. I also was inspired by the Renault 5 turbos I'd seen on BaT, and Jay Leno's Shogun - an early Fiesta with a Taurus SHO motor in the back. Then at MMW I saw a fascinating red Mini that had a Hayabusa turbo mounted in the back - the real interesting part for me was how he did the body, he simply widened the rear slightly to cover the wider track instead of using huge flares, so to the casual onlooker the car looked pretty stock. Good eyes would notice the 14" wheels tho......

I like the little Ecoboost tho because not only is a very small package that makes good hp, lots of torque and great fuel economy, it also is VERY light - almost 100 lbs lighter than a stock Mini engine/trans.

More as it happens!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Check out Copart.com. That is where I scored my suburban for my 72 project.
Engineering the Impossible

roadhouse

This is going to be a great swap :)

MPlayle

As Merlin suggests, check Copart.com as they may still have something that was insurance "totaled" from the hailstorms in San Antonio a few weeks back.

LilDrunkenSmurf

I've actually considered this swap. I also considered the larger ecoboost motor as well.

I have a pinto sitting in storage, slowly rusting away that I also considered dropping an ecoboost crate motor into.

Very interested to see this project pan out, and how you'll deal with the technical issues.

Merlin

Have you tried calling your nearest dealership and inquiring on a crate setup? I know that the 2 litre is available, but the 1 litre may be as well.

Willie_B

This is going to be great to watch. 4.gif

MiniDave

I've been on Copart since March when I sold Buzz, there were several 3 cyl Fiestas that went thru, but as I didn't have a Mini shell yet I didn't bid, now I wish I had as 3 cyl Fiestas seem to have dried up. 4 cyl non-ecoboost cars are plentiful, but I want the little motor with the turbo. One of the problems with Copart is the almost $1000 of fees they tack on, then shipping will run another $12-1500....

A hail damaged car would be perfect, but unless it was really bad hail damage, those usually bring more money than I want to spend. I'm looking for a car that got t-boned or hit up the back, and I'm only looking at 2015-2016 cars.

I think a crate motor would be big $$$$, and I need/want a lot more, like the seats and dash, radiator, condensor and A/C system, evaporator and such.....so a wreck will give me better value.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

The fee's are that bad depending on what they go for. There is a breakdown on their website of the costs. Shipping may get you, but we ship stuff all across the country and since its a wreck, the cost wont be as bad as a car on a car hauler. Seats and whatnot, well that's just blasphemous to put fiesta seats in a mini. At least keep it looking stock...

You let me know if you need anything and ill see what I can do.

Merlin

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/22628406?searchId=1464759077

This one looks ok. its a manual, which may make things interesting. Sale date is tomorrow and shipping to my house is calculated under 1K Which means it would be less to you since it is in Colorado.
Radiator and condenser are missing, but you would have to go custom anyway to get it to work. Everything else is there.  Looks like someone has already stolen the biggest money makers off of the car, the head and tail lights.

There are three more on copart, but they are all smashed up good in the front. I believe that the people that buy cars like this are the same ones that take selfies while driving. A car that is 18K brand new attracts a certain type of buyer... One that doesn't care about what they drive.

MiniDave

I had a Miata seat in Buzz, it made it possible to drive more than an hour at a time!  ;D

I appreciate the help - I really do, but I know what I want to do and how I'm going to do it.

I want an automatic, not just because it will be easier to engineer, but because I have bad knees and just prefer the auto - besides, the 6 speed auto can be shifted manually, like my 09 MINI.

Lastly, I want a Fiesta because of it's narrower track.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Ooops, I though that the 1 litre only came in the fiesta. didn't look to see what it was... how much wider is the fiesta to the mini?

How much of the interior are you going to swap in? Are you going to try to cram most of the feature in or just keep it looking stock?

And I remember the miata seat. It looked really good in that car.

MiniDave

I will use the seats, the rest will only be mechanical stuff......I think. I'm tempted to use the instruments and HVAC controls too.

The Fiesta is just under 3" wider track than the Mini, so 1 1/2" wider per side.....not to much that a good set of Sportspack arches wouldn't cover.

I may be tempted to try and use the steering column and electric steering rack too, but till I get a car I won't know for sure.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!

I've been waiting for someone to have the balls to do this. I can't wait to watch this unfold.

jedduh01

Goodluck - this will be a HUGE build....  Binky esque build =  ? that sounds about right!

For this new of a car - you will need a full donor - with the computers and Modules to interact and control the whole thing top to bottom. the old days- were just - wack it out - and throw it in - with vehicle systems now as complex as they are = whew= one open door ajar switch could kill a whole powertrain.

Consider the fuel system too .  Many new turbo - direct injection systems are HIGH Pressure and dual pump , But you will need to supply it and cool it just the same as Ford does!

Timing belt runs in oil!  Say WHAT!!!!

year has seen the launch of the 1.0
litre gasoline Ford EcoBoost engine,
also with a timing belt, running in oil, withthe durability to last the life of
the engine.

http://www.ngfeurope.com/~/media/NGF%20Europe/Site%20Content/News/Automotive%20Design%20Europe%20Feature.ashx

Learning lots already!

roadhouse

It's unfortunate that Ford Performance doesn't have a controls pack for the 1.0 ecoboost like they do for the 2.0 and 3.5. Would make the wiring of this swap much easier.

MiniDave

I like blue!

Cool stuff, wonder what it costs?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the engine out today, and got a little surprise - it has a factory oil temp gauge and sender....I've not seen one like this before.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MtyMous on June 27, 2016, 08:18:21 PM
holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!

I've been waiting for someone to have the balls to do this. I can't wait to watch this unfold.

+1 This looks like a great project,  gonna be fun to watch this one. This and R1 pickup are both fun.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I've been finishing removing the unwanted stuff from the car, today I took out the modified dash.....and removed the Stewart Warned gauges - there was water temp, oil temp oil pressure, fuel pressure and voltmeter, along with a VDO clock that still worked!

There also was a row of 5 switches and 6 fuse holders, but when I pulled the dash back - Surprise! - they weren't wired up to anything!

I also removed that nasty paisley carpet and found an inch of underlayment on top of the factory jute padding - it must have weighed 60 lbs!

All I have left to take out are the remote shifter and old rusted exhaust system, then it's ready to go to Tulsa town.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My clubby had two layers of carpet too. 

jeff10049

This will be fun to watch come together. I saw a ecoboost 1.0 go up front on a clubby on another mini forum. but I don't think he was able to keep the a/c even in a clubman so your rear/mid engine location should be the ticket.
I wonder if one could be crammed in the front of a round nose though?

You might already know about these guys but if not they have a ecu and harness that might make things easier not sure with the auto trans but worth a call.

http://twinkam.co.uk/epages/191f6b26-60bf-483c-b021-755a0c9099c1.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/191f6b26-60bf-483c-b021-755a0c9099c1/Products/SC352

We worked on a ecoboost swap for a customer it was the v6 into a falcon and never could get the ecu happy without a custom tune to delete the  stuff we did't use.
It wanted to see the inputs from the FCIM, REM, LCM, FEM, DSC and SRS modules, The worst was trying to bypass the PATS antitheft system in a reliable way their was way more to it than we orignally thought as youtube seemed full of ways to bypass but they don't really work.

The other interesting thing we had to deal with was getting a speed signal to the ecu and it pretty much had to have it we did use the modern rear end with a speed sensor but the signal gets conditioned by the  ABS module (analog to digatail) then sent onto the ecu in the setup we were using. Ended up gutting a abs module from a stripped down model of the truck for the circut board and building a little interface module out of it to convert the signal.
As the donor truck had a DSC system that looked to hard to gut a board out of and get powered up just to convert the signal.

In the end it all worked great with no check engine light. After three custom tunes tricking a few things and coming up with the speed signal converter.
We didnt use a stand alone ecu because we thought the factory one would do a better job of controlling things. If we had it to do over the first thing I would do is order a ecu and harness for the swap.

Oh even the starter was controlled by the ecu through a module so yeah get the whole car and keep it until your project is driving in case you forget a module or something. That was the other thing that hosed us the doner had factory remote start and that module was also part of antitheft and PATS so we were unable to intergrate it into the other car as it even needed to see the cluster and about 20 inputs we didn't have.

My advice fwiw go with a stand alone ecu and add back the things you want with other stand alone systems like remote start. The idea of using eveything you can from the donor car is appealing but has to many roadblocks.

Might be way easier with the car you're looking at as opposed to a fully loaded f150 that we used.

looking forward to your build, I will look up the custom tuner we used if you need.

Jeff

MiniDave

You make some good points, I'm hoping that because I'm using a base Fiesta I won't have quite as many weird things to deal with, like the remote start system.

First I need the donor car......still looking for that. For some reason 3 cyl Fiestas seem to have vanished off Copart lately, but I know there will be more - might have to wait for winter tho, seems like there were a bunch in the early part of this year.

I appreciate all the input! I didn't know there were any aftermarket ECU's that would run this direct injected, variable cam timing engine....last I looked SC only did the 2L 4 cyl, great to see them doing the 3 cyl too.

I followed the thread on TMF where the guy put one in his Clubby wagon, he also used a huge front mounted intercooler and the 5 speed stick shift version IIRC and I was not impressed with his piping runs, but it works, and runs great!

I think mounting it in the rear will add some complexity but at the same time allow me to do some things I couldn't if I tried to make it front drive. I'm glad you mentioned the ABS, I think I've figured out how to add the speed sensors to the front wheels, so I may have the first classic with ABS! Gonna be interesting - lots of engineering puzzles to be solved.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I would think a base car would be easier. Also you are using the auto trans that comes with it so you have a output shaft speed sensor that you can use if you go no abs sensors. I can't tell for sure in all data if the speed signal goes straight from the output speed to the ecu that'd be easy. Or if it gets converted via 4wabs or other module first like the ford pick up's. It for sure comes out of the ecu digital on the data lines to the other computers just can't tell if it comes in analog the diagrams in alldata suck ass on the 1.0 .Well everything really not sure why i pay for it.

Im sure you have access to a scope might want to check out a few signals at the ecu  when you get the donor before taking it apart just so you know what they need to be.

I wonder if the system SC sells uses a speed signal? we just could not get the v6 to run right without the ecu knowing the speed. Maybe some tuners can get rid of that not sure you'd want to though. kind of important with the vvt and all to work optimum.

Also the 1.0 is started by a combo of either the fcim or bcm and ecu no direct connection from the ign switch to starter. It just sends a signal to the computers to initiate a start cycle so check that out before disabling the donor. See what signal and what computer pin it goes to for starting. Although I think you can bypass most the stuff on a 1.0.

Good times ahead it's kinda fun figuring all this stuff out. I can't wait for this project to get going. If I see a good donor i'll let you know shipping might suck though.

Jeff