79 Canadian Mini

Started by skmini, December 30, 2015, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skmini

I re-masked and glued the seam strips on...

skmini

And then painted.  Sealer, base and clear.  I think I'm done the paint?  Small sag on the left rear quarter.  No bugs that I can see, but I'll take another look in the morning.

gr8kornholio

Looks great.  After attending 1 show the big question is who painted it.  So hard these days to find a good painter that isn't a a custom shop wanting to to $250 an hour.  I'm half tempted to take a shot at our bug.  Will need a bigger air compressor at least.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

skmini

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.  I closely followed your build thread and I'm looking forward to getting mine out to a show/cars&coffee. 

I didn't do bodywork before this because everyone said it was "tricky" Tricky to weld sheet metal, tricky to get things straight, tricky to paint, etc. After going through the whole thing, I would say it isn't "tricky", it's more work than you can imagine.  I likely went a bit overboard here, but I must have sanded each panel by hand over a dozen times.  I don't have a big air compressor (20 gallon 10CFM).  A nice spray gun makes a difference.  I got an Iwata Kiwami 4, which isn't super expensive but works so much better than the cheap Princess Auto (Canadian Harbour Freight) gun I started with.

MiniDave

Looks fantastic - still have to do the doors, bonnet and boot lid then?

People say you can paint them separately and they'll match as long as you use the same procedure and paint out of the same can, but I can almost always see a difference - I hope yours turns out great - you've put enough work into it that's for sure!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's good to know.  I'll look at that paint gun.  I have done body work and yea it's not tricky it's tedious.  Then after going through a full build, everything was tedious. Lol

The crazy thing was I feel most people were surprised that a younger guy, with a family did a full car build.  Most of the guys there probably had a good 20 years on me.  And the ones who didn't had the just throw money at it cars. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

skmini

Quote from: MiniDave on September 12, 2022, 08:58:40 AM
Looks fantastic - still have to do the doors, bonnet and boot lid then?

Everything is done. The doors will likely look slightly different since I painted them in a different orientation from the body.  I'll find out shortly and see how much my gaps have shrunk.

skmini

And now with doors/boot/bonnet back on and taillights.  The paint booth is dismantled so we can park one of our cars in the garage again.  In daylight, the Moonwalk Grey looks less green than it does under fluorescents.

Next, cleaning up the subframes and engine and starting to put stuff back together.

MiniDave

Well, I think it looks fantastic, and you have to be feeling pretty chuffed about how far you've come with this car! You'll have it running again in no time!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Looks so good!!!   Love the color.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

skmini

I'm also pretty happy with the color.  Hopefully putting everything back together goes relatively smoothly.

MiniDave

Wiring harness first!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

Before reassembly, wet sanding and polishing.  I also had a couple of paint runs to fix, which I was more successful at this time.  Instead of scraping them off with a razor blade, I used a 1000 grit wet sanding stone which worked much better for me.

It might be hard to tell in the pictures, but it is much shinier now.   71.gif

94touring

When I get the occasional clear run I'll actually mask around it right along where it's flush to what it should be, then hit it with 320, 800, 2000, 3000.  I can get it pretty much perfect if I'm careful and take my time.

skmini

This sanding stone worked pretty similarly, and cut really well despite being 1000 grit.  Paint drip pre, after the sanding stone, after 1500/3000 wet sanding and then after polishing.

The sanding stone is a Meguiars "Unigrit" sanding block:

https://www.meguiars.com/professional/products/meguiarsr-mirror-glazer-professional-unigritr-sanding-block-1000-grit-k1000

skmini

I couldn't resist and installed the lights, bumpers, grill, and various other exterior jewellery. I'll have to take the lights out/apart to wire them up.  Also put the rear parcel shelf in place just to see how the red looks in sunlight with the rest.

Willie_B

94touring

gr8kornholio

Looking sweet.  Love the way the red looks with the color.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

skmini

I thought I was done painting.  I couldn't just put the engine/subframe/suspension back in looking like this:

skmini

So, inspired by all of MiniDave's engine rebuild pictures, I've been taking everything apart, cleaning, painting and in some cases replacing with new.  I put in a new timing chain because it seemed pretty floppy.  I'm going to replace most of the clutch actuation mechanism.  Now that it's all clean, the amount of play is more obvious.  I plugged the air injection ports with grub screws instead of the brazed-up air injection fittings that were there.  New bushings, engine mounts, etc.  The red pieces are the Canadian-specific tow hooks on the front subframe.  The rear subframe had tow hooks too, but unfortunately I tossed them when I replaced that subframe 20 years ago.

MiniDave

Looks terrific!

Won't be long till it's making those good noises again!  :great:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

Congrats! It looks like you got the fan on the right way.

skmini

Quote from: LarryLebel on January 23, 2023, 10:34:45 AMCongrats! It looks like you got the fan on the right way.
I checked and double-checked.   :grin: