MiniDave

What a journey you've been on! It looks amazing   :13:
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

LarryLebel

You also did a great job documenting your work.

skmini

Thanks!  It has been quite a journey so far of new tools and new skills. 

skmini

Next up, wiring!  I got a Painless generic wiring harness with a few more circuits (12!) than the factory harness, modern fuses, etc.  First step was dismantling the old harness to get the ignition and turn signal switch plugs and the wiper wiring harness that goes from the stalk to the wiper motor.  Next, I laid out the new harness with everything going in the general direction it needed to go.  I put the fuse block inside under the dash on the right side, which cleans up the engine bay a fair bit.

Then, wrapping and terminating.  I took the wiper motor and wiper "cable" apart, cleaned and regreased everything.

For the license plate lights I bought two of them and put them on either side of the plate, Japanese style.

I used Mk1 headlight and wiper switches and used the wiper switch for the heated rear window.  I put the hazard light switch in place of the ignition switch.

Knock on wood, everything worked.

skmini

And then, I figured since I've got the wiring done and the fuel lines are in:

94touring

Sweet, it's alive and running  :13:

skmini

And now, interior.  First, sound deadening.  Dynamat on the floor, rear seat. in the doors, rear quarter panels and roof.  I also put some foam sound deadening on the floor under the carpet.

skmini

Then, seats.  This is the second time I've done the upholstery.  Last time I did all the sewing, but this time I got covers from Newton Commercial.  The seat frames have a backwards bend at the top to accommodate the Canadian-specific headrests, which results in a bit of a bulge on the back of the top of the front seats.

skmini

I still need to take hair dryer to some of the wrinkles in the upholstery.  I got the headliner in, and I've started on the doors and glass. Once again, I think I had the glass and regulator in and out about 6 times before I was happy with it.  The window glass seal was a bit tight where it meets the top of the door skin and I had to trim it a bit.  I also had to tighten the tracks a bit before getting them on the glass to keep them from coming apart from the glass when lowering the window.

MiniDave

Wow you've been busy! That red interior looks the business.... :great:

So, where will your first trip to a Mini meet be? You have to show it off and drive it someplace special. There's Mini Meet West this year, I know it's a haul but......why not?   :celebrate:

I don't know why, but my car never starts from dead cold on the first turn of the key, it always pops right off on the second! Strange but that seems to be how it works.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

I'm really happy with the grey and red combination.  I might see if I can adapt a Mk1 heater.  I decided to not put in the dash pad, so the heater controls stick out a bit.  Or, I need to fabricate a little hood that hides the wiring and mechanism.

I think I'm going to be a bit less ambitious with the trips.  I joined the local British Car Club, and they're doing a meet that will only require a 120km drive.

cstudep

This looks really good. That is the color my car should be but it is severely faded and in need of a redo. It also has the red interior and I have always liked the combo.

My 20yr old paint and dinged up body don't look anywhere near that good however.

Great Job!

skmini

Interior done!  I think I've just got the front and rear glass left.

skmini

Got the glass in, did a quick wheel alignment (the rear is slightly out; I'll have to ponder what to do there) and took it for a drive around the block.  It was dark, so no pictures of it outside, but there's mud (and snow) on the tires in the last picture.   :celebrate:  :dance:

skmini

Cleaned it up and drove it to work.  Looks pretty good in the daylight.  :grin:

94touring

Sweet, bet it felt good to drive it!

MiniDave

I looks fantastic! How is it to drive now, compared to your last memory?

I really like the look you went for both the paint/interior and the wheels. Great looking Mini!!!   :great:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

It was nerve-wracking to drive for the first time. Paranoid I'd screwed something up. Of course, it's paranoia like that that means everything is fine.   :grin:

It's all much tighter than it was before, and highway speeds aren't as terrifying. Before, there was so much rattling and shaking you weren't sure if you were going to start shedding parts.  Now, it's rock solid.

I'm not sure it's any noisier with the solid subframe mounts.  No oil leaks yet, which I'm surprised by.  It used to leave drips everywhere I parked it.  I did replace a bunch of seals when I took it apart to replace the timing chain and paint the engine.

Tim

Quote from: skmini on April 26, 2023, 11:33:51 AM...when I took it apart to replace the timing chain and paint the engine.

Haha!  That's how it all starts.  Maybe just a little scope creep on that job.  Very well done!

Tim

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

Quote from: Tim on April 26, 2023, 05:35:27 PMHaha!  That's how it all starts.  Maybe just a little scope creep on that job.

Considering I was originally just going to replace the rocker panels and do a couple of patches on the rear panel, yes just a little bit of scope creep.

skmini

I don't have a lot of pictures of the Mini before I started.  I took a few right before I took it apart.  Some before and after comparisons.

skmini

Some more.