Lusting after stupid vehicles...

Started by Jims5543, August 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Anyone else ever do it?

I have a friend trying to sell me his Unimog, I have no use whatsoever for it. Even as a work truck, having a top speed of 45 MPH makes it useless to me. I would love to have it to drive across heavily wooded lots and not have to cut through with a machete, but cannot justify the expense.... at all.

Then my buddy with the Mog has been taunting me with surplus Hummers, seems the market is about to flood with them, the prices are going to make them VERY tempting. Like 5-7K for a fully functioning, go out the drive, it example.

Like this.

The Mog friend is selling because he bid on 2 vehicles expecting to win only one auction, he won both and he is keeping this one.

Selling this one though if anyone wants it.

I also keep looking at 80's and 90's Toyota Pickups with the idea to swap in a 3 liter turbo diesel out of a Hilux into one.  90HP and 300 ft. lbs of Torque should get me 30+ MPG in a light older model pickup.

A girl can dream can't she?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I have the same problem, then I remind myself I need to pay off this or that or save up for something else, and come back to reality. 

MPlayle

I'm looking at adding this to the stable:

MtyMous

If we weren't on an accelerated debt payoff plan to get debt free (literally no debt) by mid 2017, I'd be actively looking for a H1 wagon or a 2001 Viper GTS. The viper will happen eventually. Just a matter of timing.

Merlin

I saw all of the hummers being dumped through gov planet. I am very much lusting after one. I want to get one and take it to the local diesel tuner and be like, "make this fast"
It would be the best truck/cruiser/jeep/wagon/suburban ever. Wash it out with the hose and move on down the road.

Too many toys in the world and not enough cash.

EDIT:
http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Humvees-1989-AM-General-M998-Humvee-HMMWV-Kentucky/551674?h=5002%2Cmsg%7C14331%2Csm%7C0%2Cpstart%7C20%2Csort%7Cp+desc%2CisAuc%7Cyes%2Cmf%7C1&rr=0.02564&hitprm=msg%3D14331,pstart%3D20,sm%3D0,sort%3Dp+desc&pnLink=yes

You got to be kidding me. Its got 3k miles on it! Talk about mint. Love the mismatched wheels.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Quote from: MtyMous on August 04, 2015, 03:54:28 PM
If we weren't on an accelerated debt payoff plan to get debt free (literally no debt) by mid 2017, I'd be actively looking for a H1 wagon or a 2001 Viper GTS. The viper will happen eventually. Just a matter of timing.

I've always loved those early vipers.  Now I must look at vipers.

Jims5543

Kudo's for the debt elimination.

I only have one outstanding line of credit, my mortgage, and if all goes as planned it will be gone by the end of next year.

Until then all car related activities are at a minimum.

My dream is a Factory Five Cobra with a 3 rotor engine in it (20B) twin turbo mildly tuned to 550 HP.

It is my big middle finger up to all the LSx swappers of this world.

It will happen like your Viper will happen, some day.... some day...

BTW- Dan  I was looking at FD's on Autotrader last week.

AA - is a support group for alcoholics, and there is no support group for car addicts and our addiction makes a cocaine addiction seem like a craving for something salty.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Love my fd.  The new suspension upgrades have her driving like a top. 

Merlin

*Looks at LM7 motor sitting next to his 72 C-10 and cries a tear from Jim's rejection*

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on August 04, 2015, 09:01:51 PM
*Looks at LM7 motor sitting next to his 72 C-10 and cries a tear from Jim's rejection*

Nah, do not toil, do what you like.

This used to make me insane when I was younger and it was back then when I promised myself, when I had the means, to swap a 20B into a Cobra.

E30 BMW are not immune either. If I wanted a Corvette I would just buy one. ;D

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on August 04, 2015, 04:01:40 PM
I saw all of the hummers being dumped through gov planet. I am very much lusting after one. I want to get one and take it to the local diesel tuner and be like, "make this fast"
It would be the best truck/cruiser/jeep/wagon/suburban ever. Wash it out with the hose and move on down the road.

Too many toys in the world and not enough cash.

EDIT:
http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Humvees-1989-AM-General-M998-Humvee-HMMWV-Kentucky/551674?h=5002%2Cmsg%7C14331%2Csm%7C0%2Cpstart%7C20%2Csort%7Cp+desc%2CisAuc%7Cyes%2Cmf%7C1&rr=0.02564&hitprm=msg%3D14331,pstart%3D20,sm%3D0,sort%3Dp+desc&pnLink=yes

You got to be kidding me. Its got 3k miles on it! Talk about mint. Love the mismatched wheels.

According to a couple of friends, this the the tip of the iceberg, the market will be flooded soon. There should be some amazing deals.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on August 04, 2015, 07:39:22 PM
Love my fd.  The new suspension upgrades have her driving like a top.

I remember tossing my dads around an Autocross course when we were doing some fun runs. I had just finished running in my heavily modified FC. If I recall I may have scored a top time, I was always really close to it with that car, it was between me and the FF5 Cobra guys.

I jump in dads bone stock FD and after I put down a time not very far off my FC's on and this car was stock, with street tires on it, I was amazed. I remember saying to myself, I need to rethink the suspension on my FC, it was obvious the chassis on the FD was so much better than the FC. With all my mods, corner weighting with me in it, aligning doing the same, a stock FD could just about match it.

I may have an FD before the Cobra project starts. I cannot imagine how amazing your car is with all the suspension goodies on it.

BTW- I am skipping a Dragon trip this year but next spring we meet up near Asheville for some fun mountain driving, you should come down.

94touring

Replaced the upper shock mount assemblies while I was in there.  The bump stops were gone!  The right rear would bottom out taking turns hard as a result.  It had the stock shocks and progressive rate H&R springs and so everything was sloppy.  I put on adjustable tokicos and linear rate eibachs.  Turns out eibach doesn't make springs for the fd anymore but found a special set of eibachs made specially for Pettit racing.  I still need to upgrade the front sway bar and may or may not do a rear.  Many say the stock rear is the best for cornering.  Added the front tower brace and extra engine brace.

Jims5543

Yup, no need to do the rear bar save your money and time. FC guys would remove it for Autcrosses.

This is kind of true for many RWD cars, many FWD cars you will find better gains just doing the rear sway, I remember the rear on my JCW Mini really transformed it.  I wish I still had that car, it had full coil overs and adjustable shocks on it. It was a fun carver.

Mudhen

Quote from: MPlayle on August 04, 2015, 03:47:20 PM
I'm looking at adding this to the stable:

Gorgeous!   4.gif

Would love to put a hack in the garage (other than me).  Don't have a bike at all anymore and I've caught myself looking recently.  My 13yo really needs a new dirtbike first, though.

But man...this is just down the road from me:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2005-tiger-955i-in-nh.1085439/

Hmmm...

MPlayle

The Tigers have a good dual-sport reputation.  I lusted for them for a bit, but the seat height is too tall for me.  There is an outfit that does "off-road" sidecars:

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

They have a wide selection including options from other manufacturers.

You could use the excuse "he'll grow into it" and enjoy it until he does.

Jims5543

Mudhen

94touring

I'm glad I never see stuff like that in Tulsa

John Gervais

Quote from: Jims5543 on August 04, 2015, 07:31:15 PM

Kudo's for the debt elimination.

I only have one outstanding line of credit, my mortgage, and if all goes as planned it will be gone by the end of next year.

Until then all car related activities are at a minimum.

My dream is a Factory Five Cobra with a 3 rotor engine in it (20B) twin turbo mildly tuned to 550 HP.

It is my big middle finger up to all the LSx swappers of this world.

It will happen like your Viper will happen, some day.... some day...

BTW- Dan  I was looking at FD's on Autotrader last week.

AA - is a support group for alcoholics, and there is no support group for car addicts and our addiction makes a cocaine addiction seem like a craving for something salty.

Great idea, I really hope you're successful in freeing yourself.  Being debt free gives loads of freedom.  We've been debt free for around 15 years now, and it's quite nice.  Frees up all sorts of cash - bought my garage, our summerhouse plot and did all sorts o'stuff to the mini that wouldn't be possible otherwise.  We still 'budget' as if we had debt, but somehow there's not as much pressure.  We also found out after I lost my job that we can still get by while I search for employment/something to do.

I've been dreaming of a Unimog or Pinzgauer van (would make a great RV camper) for too many years now.  I looked at a Unimog locally around 4 years ago, but decided against it as it was a soft-top model.  Brrrr....  I'd also settle for an H1 Hummer, which is realistically more practical, but not quite as versatile as a camper. 

If one were to buy one of the H1's on that auction site, is it possible to get it registered for road use?
- Pave the Bay -

Merlin

Yes and no.

Gov planet was selling these as off-road only, and were coming as bill of sale. As of late, they are coming with something that allows you to get a title for it, and therefore could make it possible for you to get it tag'd depending on your states rules.

If your state is like OK, you bet your ass its road legal. If your state is Kalifornia, you-is-fucked.

94touring

Speaking of debt I've got 4 years left on the flight school college loans and what a glorious day it will be when they're gone.  They're the same as my mortgage and monthly housing bills combined!

John Gervais

Very interesting indeed...

I vowed a long time ago that I'd never live in CA, so when/if I move back to the States, it'll most likely be somewhere in New England - where I'm originally from. 

This gives me something to chew on for a while - thanks!
- Pave the Bay -

Merlin

It basically comes down to state inspections. If you state has one, it may or may not pass as is. Here in the land-o-the-free, no inspections, no yearly certifications and they hand tags out like beer at a frat party.

Jims5543

Quote from: John Gervais on August 12, 2015, 05:06:58 PM

Great idea, I really hope you're successful in freeing yourself.  Being debt free gives loads of freedom.  We've been debt free for around 15 years now, and it's quite nice.  Frees up all sorts of cash - bought my garage, our summerhouse plot and did all sorts o'stuff to the mini that wouldn't be possible otherwise.  We still 'budget' as if we had debt, but somehow there's not as much pressure.  We also found out after I lost my job that we can still get by while I search for employment/something to do.

I've been dreaming of a Unimog or Pinzgauer van (would make a great RV camper) for too many years now.  I looked at a Unimog locally around 4 years ago, but decided against it as it was a soft-top model.  Brrrr....  I'd also settle for an H1 Hummer, which is realistically more practical, but not quite as versatile as a camper. 

If one were to buy one of the H1's on that auction site, is it possible to get it registered for road use?

Thank you!  I was there in 2004, debt free, no mortgage no car loans no credit cards nothing. Then we were hit with 3 Hurricanes, 3 eyes passed over our house, I felt if there was a Cat 5 we would be homeless. So we refinanced our house here in Florida and purchased a 2nd home in the NC Mountains.  Then in 2007 I could feel the housing market going soft, I work in that industry so I knew it would not be good for me if it crashed, which everyone was predicting would happen. So I sold that house for a tidy 40K profit and banked ALL THE CASH and kept the mortgage on the house in Florida.

Then the RE Bubble burst and my business went almost to nothing. I went from 25 employees in 2006 to 2 by 2010.  I tried to carry the place as much as possible, going without pay for almost 2 years while I lived off my savings and pumped my own money into the company.  Mostly trying to hold on to key people I did not want to let go, particularly one guy my right hand man, people like him come along very rarely and I did not want to lose him.

I had a number in my head, if my savings got to that number I would have to cut him loose. I got to that number.

So now I have been working on undoing all that damage. Business is good, I decided 2 years ago to not hire a lot and to just work my ass off and wear a lot of hats. I have 3 employees now and I am pumping out the same amount of work as if I had 5-6 employees.

If all goes as planned I should be able to knock this mortgage out by mid 2017. I am very much looking forward to it and will NEVER have a mortgage again.