Lusting after stupid vehicles...

Started by Jims5543, August 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on September 20, 2016, 02:39:50 PM
I succumbed to the "Mini Disease" again.  This is on its way to me:

More details after it arrives next week.

I was fixated on looking at the Moke.  But then I looked at what it is sitting on.  I don't think I've ever seen a trailer with the axle located so far rearward.  Looks very strange.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

I can find out more about the trailer when Hugh Cannon delivers the Moke tomorrow evening or Sunday morning.  It looks like it may be an 8 or 9 foot trailer as there is not much space in front of the Moke and the Moke's rear wheels are just onto the trailer at the rear.

BruceK

I met Hugh years ago while visiting the UK in the early 90s.  Please tell him Hi for me.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

The Moke was delivered today!   71.gif

Found out a bit more about that trailer in the picture above: it is a 6'x10' modified for hauling mostly rear engine micro-cars.  It belongs to a friend of Hugh and was borrowed to transport the Moke from New York to Hugh's place in Tennessee.  Hugh transferred the Moke to a 5'x8' trailer for the trip on to San Antonio as his friend needed that other trailer.  The moke fit fine on the 5'x8' trailer.  Hugh's better 6'x14' trailer is in California.  He has some connecting hauls on his way out to California to retrieve his bigger trailer and will return with the smaller trailer stacked on the bigger one.

I'll get new pictures of the Moke later in the week after I get it cleaned up from its trip down.

MPlayle

I'm also going to start a separate thread for the maintenance/modifications I am contemplating.

Mudhen

Screw the racecar...this peach is only an hour from me.  I need a new project car to not finish!

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5848171405.html

MiniDave

Whew! not much there....there. But you could go any way you want with the engine, maybe a nice small block Ford motor in there?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Reviving an old thread ...

Ran across this and thought it might be neat to own:

1993-Replica-Kit-Makes-Asquith

Mudhen

Any of you guys know anything about Alfas?  Hoping to go see this tonight:

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-alfa-romeo-gtv-alfetta/6322860798.html

"1975 Alfa Romeo alfetta GTV 1ST Year 4 cyl 5pd solid nds windsheild nice car was running 5 yrs ago 995.00 firm its a steal "

MiniDave

Our dealership sold Alfa in that year - I was the service manager- it's not a steal.......

Problem areas - I used to have to fix rust on these when they came off the truck. Seriously.

The Spica mechanical fuel injection requires special tools and someone who knows how to set it up properly - hard to find today although there are a few guys still around who can do it.

Other than that, this one looks like it needs pretty much "everything" - paint, interior, almost guaranteed rust repairs, and it hasn't run in how long? And good ones already done or still in good original condition can be bought for well under $10K......

Just go in with your eyes wide open is all I'm saying.

I'd look for a later version with the V-6, these 4 cyl cars were not that quick......to be polite.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Thanks Dave!

I was poking around and read about cheap Russian steel they were made with and rust.  I can't imagine this thing is 'solid' after sitting outside in Maine for however long.  And like you said, even nice ones aren't that much money.

We finally got our $500 944 running after 3 years.  Well, it ran beautifully for a few minutes and the next morning it wouldn't start; after which I said, 'I'M THROUGH BUYING JUNK!'.

That lasted a week.   ::)

MiniDave

I hear you.....

nowadays if it doesn't run and drive (unless it's a classic Mini) it's hardly worth fussing with.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Went and checked it out after my sons soccer game...now we both want one.  But maybe not THAT one.

Not sure where the word 'solid' comes in.  Sills gone, inner fenders have gaping holes...outers don't look that much better either come to think of it.

Love the blue faced gauges, though.  And the look of that motor.   4.gif

Hate to think of it being gone forever...

MiniDave

As expected......it's a parts car at best at this point.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

How about this little resto project?   :D

https://www.copart.com/lot/44871247

Primary damage: vandalism
Secondary damage: stripped

:-[

MiniDave

There's no there, there!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/low-low-miles/6415648123.html

I always thought these were a good idea, 4 doors, so easy to load grandkids or dogs in the back, pickup bed to haul engines and such......good fuel mileage. Most of these that you can find have 200K on them, but this one is 12 years old and only has 36K......owned by his little old mother.   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

'05 with 36k!  Holy cow!

Guess the new ones don't come with jump seats in the back anymore.  Someone would call child protective services if they ever saw your grandkids in the back these days.   :-X

MiniDave

You're right, although one of those Brats shows up on Craigslist every once in a while - in pretty good shape too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad