The drunk thread

Started by 94touring, December 28, 2014, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I think no reason to be concerned.

BruceK

That's exactly what I thought every time I visit a White Castle hamburger joint! 

Of course my thinking was impaired. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I ate at a whitecastle for the first time about 2 years ago in Chicago.  There was one beside the hotel that I'd stay at when I had to commute to work.  Fast forward a year and in Dallas for a month of training and I decided to grab a pack of whitecastle burgers from the frozen food section at the grocery store.  They were identical in every way. 

MiniDave

Identically bad?   ::) ;D

We used to call those sliders.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Slide in..... Slide out.  I've had the frozen ones but never actually stopped at a real one.  Crazy too cause all the time I've spent in that part of the country.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Our Chief's quarterback is from Texas and he has persuaded Whataburger to open a couple of stores here, one about 5 miles from my house.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 21, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Our Chief's quarterback is from Texas and he has persuaded Whataburger to open a couple of stores here, one about 5 miles from my house.

I ate there for the first time this year.  They're around Tulsa but I just never tried them. Pretty good actually.

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on December 21, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Mahomes hometown (Whitehouse) is about 10 mile from my house. Yeah Whataburger is big here but Chickfila is huge. One has three takeout lanes and backs traffic out to the street all the time. They are building a new one in the town south of here. The spicy chicken sandwich is good.

gr8kornholio

O yea chick fil a is crazy.  We have 2, both with 3 lanes.  Crazy thing is I will get in it when it's that busy cause it's still faster than most of them with a 1/3 of the cars.  Including whataburger. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

cstudep

Chick-fil-a and Popeye's are like the only chicken places that have a true spicy chicken sandwich and not just some regular chicken with a spicy sauce slathered on it, and Popeye's apparently is only a dream as they never have it "in stock".

I have never understood why none of the other places do it right.

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on December 23, 2020, 07:29:40 AM
Chick-fil-a and Popeye's are like the only chicken places that have a true spicy chicken sandwich and not just some regular chicken with a spicy sauce slathered on it, and Popeye's apparently is only a dream as they never have it "in stock".

I have never understood why none of the other places do it right.

I'm thinking they make plenty of money running the place in a haphazard manner already, so no big incentive to try harder.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

Quote from: BruceK on December 23, 2020, 02:33:46 PM
I'm thinking they make plenty of money running the place in a haphazard manner already, so no big incentive to try harder.

You are probably onto something there, seems to be a sign of the times.

gr8kornholio

It a chicken place but I'm pretty sure Wendy's started the spicy chicken sandwich, and it was baked into the breading.  Was the only reason I went to Wendy's.  Well that and the dollar menu when I was in college. 

cstudep

Ah yes, forgot about Wendy's they have pretty decent burgers as well, or at least they used to. Unfortunately all the ones up in my area closed down for some reason. Seems like they are not as prevalent as they once were in other areas as well.

jeff10049

I don't get the appeal of some of these places? chick fil a opened here about a year ago it still has a line that blocks the cross street all open hours. So I had to try it worse than the wendys chicken sandwich but edible just.
Tried it again to see if it improved nope crappy fries mediocre sandwich I don't get it? A friend that is familiar with them said it's exactly the same as all of them so what's the big deal?

Also in the same center a cracker Barrell opened everyone was raving about it went there found out you can't get a beer and the food was subpar at best. Tried again after 6 months to let them get settled in food was worse and I don't mean just my opinion unless you like undercooked southern fried chicken like slimy pink undercooked  111.gif.  My parents tried one in Ohio where they have been a thing for many years and said yeah that's about right so again what's the appeal?

We had an Applebees here that closed down but it was 1000 times better than cracker Barrell  I mean it sucked just not as bad. Marketing I guess?

These southern places can stay there as far as I'm concerned.

BruceK

Those corporate franchises food places really need to appeal to the masses so it's kind of a lowest common denominator type of thing regarding taste and preferences.  Who the &$#^ really wants cheese stuffed into the edge of a pizza crust? 

Probably like most of you, I prefer to go to locally-owned places where people have a lot more at stake in the quality of the food and service.  I hope there's still some surviving after this pandemic massacre of small businesses.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Veering back on topic, I'm on week two of hanging out in Baltimore.  Turns out there is a guinness plant down the road where we stay.  Went through about 6 of these last night.  On draft and 22oz.

cstudep

Interesting. Stayed in Baltimore many times as it's the fly-in spot when we used to actually get to travel out to York PA for work stuff. Usually just an over-nighter near BWI but never had any idea they have a guinness plant there.

94touring

gr8kornholio

Wife found a bottle of my favorite Irish whiskey. With some cunning help of a friend.  Seems to be getting scarce and a little pricey.  But it's sooo good.

Jims5543

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 25, 2020, 05:20:43 PM
Wife found a bottle of my favorite Irish whiskey. With some cunning help of a friend.  Seems to be getting scarce and a little pricey.  But it's sooo good.

Your wife is a keeper sir.  Very nice score.

FYI - there is a 12 y/o you can only buy on property in Ireland.

Every April I break out my bottle of 21 y/o and have a quiet glass alone, contemplating things.  I noticed last year my bottle was getting low, so I purchased another online. I think a few pages back we discuss this.

That 16 y/o is an amazing dram.  The 21 y/o is a once a year dram. I keep some black bush on hand for day to day crap.  I am always amazed how good this brand is.

I had this bottle sitting around for years,  so long the cork in the top dried out and had to be surgically removed.

The reason is sat so long is because I am not a fan of scotch I really dislike the peat taste and think it ruins the flavor, maybe my a pallet hasn't developed to appreciate Scotch's. I just do not like peaty ones.

I busted this bottle open figuring, what the hell, lets give this a try and I was very surprised how smooth it was, no peaty taste at all.  Seems Speyside region is known for less peat and more smooth. I shall look for more form that region.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

It is interesting the differences in the flavors depending on region.  I've had 2 now from the highlands and really like them compared to your standard scotches. 

The current is a Dewars blended 18 from highlands and speyside single malts. 

The other was a Glenmorangie 18.

cstudep

May have to look into some of these you guys mention. Also not a huge fan of the real peaty scotch but always thought the speyside stuff was not bad.

Much bigger fan of the Irish whiskeys, got some of that 12yo Bushmills at the plant when we were there a few years back, it's long gone now. Have tried the 18yo before but never acquired a bottle myself and I am sure that 21yo is top notch.

For a decent drinking whiskey I enjoy the Jameson special reserve 12yo. Unfortunately it is a bit higher priced than it used to be. You used to be able to find in for a bit under $50 and now it's usually closer to 60 if you can find it.

94touring

Vodka and lots of it.  We celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary last night.  I will not be at the shop today.

cstudep

LOL, so it was a well and good proper celebration then!