A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Yeah pre and post flight.   Trying to post a pic of them finishing up their work but my reception isn't working.

Jims5543

Whoa!! I was really close to 7 years of bad luck there. Almost got ass cracked.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Hit that bird yesterday at 4pm and just now on my final flight home, 24 hours later. 

Jims5543

Did not know you worked for a not for profit organization.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

The boroscope they used cost 130k and it was the "crappy" one.   

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 28, 2014, 09:19:50 PM
The boroscope they used cost 130k and it was the "crappy" one.

When I sit and talk to owners of other companies in different trades, I always find it interesting what equipment costs. The zeros are usually relative to the income potential.

The mechanics that were there, were they Airline employees or contracted?

If contracted, I wonder how much your bird incident costs the Airline?

I am sure it costs them a lot regardless, they had to put up all the passengers up for the evening that could not be rescheduled.

Finally home?

94touring

Contract maintenance wasn't qualified to boroscope our engine.  A two man crew from our airline drove up in the night at double time and did the job.   I think most the passengers were rebooked and got out that evening, either through dca or clt. 

I know talking with a few other maintenence guys last week we just bought 12 new engines for these crjs at about a million a pop. 

Jims5543

I hit a bird today too and ironically I did not make the connection to this thread until right now. Words cannot describe how much it bummed me out.

I was in the left lane of a divided road, 2 lanes in each direction with a grassed and treed island in the middle. Boulevard?

I moved to the right to let a faster car go by and he did not see there were Sandhill Cranes in the left lane up ahead, I could not see them as I was checking my mirrors to change lanes and get out of his way. I saw them first and started to brake.  He saw them too late and swerved into my lane, it was good that I braked because he would have hit me otherwise.

Well, momma and daddy Crane took off for the center median, baby Crane took off to the right lane, where I was, I was already on my brakes and realized I was going to hit the little guy, I stood on my brakes, locked up the front wheels and tried to miss him, no dice, I felt him go under the front right wheel. 

I was completely bummed out and beside myself, a myriad of what ifs went through my head. I started to stop but decided to keep moving for two reasons. One was because there were cars coming up behind me and there was really nothing to do other than get in the way. Two was because I was not entirely sure it was a good move to stop, have some sort of LEO show up and find out there is a fine for hitting them, as I have been told, and Wiki says...

QuoteThe Florida sandhill crane is far less common, some 5,000 remaining. They are most threatened by habitat destruction. In Florida, they are protected by high monetary penalites for killing them, under state and federal law. The transplantation of wild birds, and introduction of captive-reared birds into suitable low-population areas, has been called a viable management technique.

While an unavoidable accident, I was not going to find out if the fine was real or not.

I really love these birds, the picture below is one I stopped to take about 2 weeks ago, I really love seeing the babies grow up and I do see the same families around. To say I was bummed out, is honestly an understatement. Ruined my day.

Edit, upon reflecting on the pic I took I am pretty sure that is the baby I ran over.  :(

94touring

sparetimetoys

I wouldn't be shocked to learn they are leased motors. Most of the airlines now lease major components. It's cheaper to do this and you don't have the inventory needed if you owned them. That's how ours are. They used to call it power by the hour. We joked it was spin it by the minute. It works out to the airlines advantage because there is a reliability guarantee and if the motor doesn't make the numbers they get money back. Landing gear are another leased item along with tires and brakes. I know when we had the big hail attack we were leasing flight controls and we busted our hump to run ours thru the composite shop as fast as we could and turn in the rentals.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

Yeah maybe.  We own half our fleet and lease the rest.   We're also privately owned by 6 very rich guys.  They loaned money to Airways during their bankruptcy.   A couple hundred million. 

Jims5543

Walked to a new Gastropub near my office for lunch with the wife today. I saw this on the side of the road, someone is having a bad day.

British Content, never heard of this model in the states and being it was RHD it obviously was never imported. Although it looked like a Esprit a little. It is a Lotus Excel. It was at a car show I walked around last night.

Jims5543

A little Raging Bitch this evening. Fun fact this beer was banned in Michigan.
http://flyingdogbrewery.com/victory-for-raging-bitch-but-our-first-amendment-fight-with-michigan-rages-on/

Very interesting IPA, way more citrus than I am used to, immediate and after taste.

I want to say I saw this on Twitter and saved it to my phone. So it is technically a pic from my phone.

94touring

Jims5543

94touring

I always have one of those.  Then switched to modelo.  Also across the room was this couple.   Bare in mind we're in a basement, and there's live music.   They were not impressed I guess  8.gif

Jims5543

Ughh!! Smart Phones are the downfall of society as we know it.

That said, when Mike (my son / co worker) and I stop for lunch, I take the moment to go through my emails, messages, voicemails, to catch up with clients, receptionist, wife and friends.

We get looks sometimes as we both have our faces in the phone, if I know the server I will tell them that we walk all day in the truck and this is our opportunity to catch up on that stuff.

On to my new purchase, out with the old Harbor Freight jack that served me well for almost 10 years and still works.... well... o.k. and in with the new Tire Rack low rider jack...

94touring

The A terminal in philly has these displays, one has toy cars.  I spotted a mini.

Jims5543

Awesomeness!!

Submitted 2 photos to Red Bull today via twitter. Been drinking this crap since the late 90's when no one knew waht is was, that makes me a hipster.

My Desktop background:

Took a walk on the beach last night:

This is a sea turtle nest:

They mark them here then locate them with GPS and keep records, you do not want to get caught messing with the nest or a turtle.

Mudhen

Cool pics!!!  Love that one with the F1 car.  4.gif

Jims5543

New Gastropub opened across the street from my office, this is a bad thing. 66 taps...

The food is amazing too, my wife loves the place as well. So win, win.

Just grabbed some lunch there and teased my beer drinking buddy with this pic.

94touring

You got 99 problems and 66 of them are taps across the street.