Project 66' Moke: The Start of something fun!

Started by jedduh01, April 22, 2013, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

I've spent a lot more time over the years on adventure motorcycling forums than car ones, and man...would we dump on anyone towing a bike to an event (although I can't really remember anyone being lame enough to do it).  Had some pretty stupid adventures loaded down with camping gear in places we shouldn't be...and I'm nowhere near as thorough with my mechanical work as Jedduh seems to be.  Those are the great times I look back on...

DRIVE THAT THING!  Drive the wheels off it...and don't forget your camera.

As Charles Muntz said - 'Adventure, is out there!' [but not on a trailer]

Pat

jedduh01

Well Guys - Moke's still trucking- and yes- the talk about TOWING VS Driving to CMU NEXT WEEK October 9th has been settled - I will be driving Moke up  there. Weeks ago i decided if i had a roof driving should be much more comfortable ... therefore i  Committed to that part - Went ahead and ordered a new roof rom M Parts in UK... SLOW to process order- slightly lacking communication- i thought it would never come, but the roof arrived!!!!   VERY NICE  perfect quality- Fit and finish couldn't be better.  I also got the strap kit too - Roof kit came with all parts needed to install - Highly recommended in the end.  Expensive, but very doubtful any uphulstry person could create such a perfet piece like that.

Now to start to try and think of how to put this together - No instructions came with the roof- so I reached out to a fellow moke owner with a PERFECT  Old English White moke -- and he send me some valuable pictures and a  solid easy step by step to get it done.

From a Fellow Moke'r

I've attached a few pics of my hood installed.
From my unreliable memory:
1.) It would have been a lot easier with some help.
2.) I believe the straps get laid out loosely first.
3.) The rear of the top is screwed to the car. (except for the outer two screws.
4.) The top and straps are snapped to the front of the windscreen with the hoops in their final position.
5.) I spent some time determining the final length of the straps marked, cut and dressed the ends (carefully) with a small torch. Attached them to the outer two holes... I believe there was some longer screws for this....
  I did this step slightly different  see below.
6.) Now, the scary part.... drilling the hood and hoops for the self tapping screws.... a good center punch really helped out. I used one of those spring loaded types as it's difficult to hold things in place and swing a hammer. I got fortunate and didn't manage to drill a hole in the hood that was almost lined up with an existing hoop hole. At that point, I think your only options would be to enlarge the hole in the hood or bias it towards the existing and hope for the best.

I will also add -
   I had the car in the sun with the roof sitting for a good warm afternoon- stretch and get the top more flexible.

First I adjusted the Rear bar to pull back on the top nice and tight to the corners.  ( shorter adjustable straps go there)

Then concentrated on the middle bar set.  Main thing- Attaching those two bars to the straps.   I positioned, then marked with a sharpie .  then took the top off. Then screwed the straps to the bars.

Over top of that went the roof top=  Perfectly in place and taut. and tight.  Put roof back on. then Rear attaching completed- After that it was done and done.

White moke owner put screws Thru his top --- that may be correct- but i am going to avoid that step. there are holes in my bars where those top screws would fit, but i dont like the thought of it.  Driving currently the top is just FINE!

Few pictures of white moke , and on a good day ill get some more of my top install.

SO NOW - MOke's being driven 3 hrs ( Weak trip i know_ to Virigina )  for a great meet next week, Adjusting valves- checking this preparing that should be a good ride.

One suspension squeek i just cant find - or solve... Down now to the front suspension--- lower control arm bushings. or the knuckle joints it has to be -- the only 2 parts i never took apart!!! Its annoying but not unbearable- Might try and lube it up without a full dissaseembly.

Moke is fun=== too many people dont think its a car " why do ytou have a plate on that golf cart "  or " is that legal "

More to come!

94touring

pbraun

Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )