Project 66' Moke: The Start of something fun!

Started by jedduh01, April 22, 2013, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Motivating me to do something about my engine that's in a thousand pieces.

jedduh01

Body is out of my way!!!
    Gave it to a painter on Saturday - he agreed to have it done in 2 weeks! (heard that before!! )

I cant wait! I even Offered a bonus for finishing Sooner with GOOD results.  He said "say no more"...(shop had some other nice rides in there) but looked like he needed some business.

This has free'd up some time to start piecing together alot of nicks and knacks--- engine assembly is coming to an end - about to put the block on the transmission. Suspension is coming together- Final pre assemblies before final assembly.

One last order "hopefully" from England for Moke specific trimmings,  Bonnet latches- Dzus fasteners etc.

Expecting to run into some Assembly Issues... generator - Sarters- Master Cyls -- will they all work.. but hey  - staying on track!

94touring

SomethingNew71

Quote from: 94touring on August 12, 2013, 08:55:24 AM
Very good.  What's tthe color going to be?

Was telling me it would be bright pink.

jedduh01

Thought about pink - but pepto wouldnt sponsor my ride...

Ive picked a proper English - Landrover color.

Buckingham Blue

After finding this picture- it was settled- Was thinking of FLAT Blue - but shiny like this will be my perfect go.

Mudhen

That color is gorgeous...gets my vote!

(if this thread is democratic, that is)

pbraun

WOW!  That is coming along fast!  Good for you!  I am way behind.  Can't get the pannier tops, so I may have to fabricate the center sections, they are so shot.
Have to get the gearbox undone, and the motor built. Not to mention the gas tank or some of the brakes, etc..... Much to do.

BTW - How do you do the electrolysis cleaning?  Looks like great results!   Awesome color choice!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Mudhen

Quote from: pbraun on August 13, 2013, 02:00:12 PM
WOW!  That is coming along fast!  Good for you!  I am way behind.  Can't get the pannier tops, so I may have to fabricate the center sections, they are so shot.
Have to get the gearbox undone, and the motor built. Not to mention the gas tank or some of the brakes, etc..... Much to do.

BTW - How do you do the electrolysis cleaning?  Looks like great results!   Awesome color choice!

Ahem...and just where is your build thread... 8.gif

jedduh01

Thought I was going to have a chill weekend with friends -- NO body to work on, so hey lets to other things.

THen friday morning-  body guy calls--"we gotcha ready"!!!!!  :-\

I end up spending the remainder of Friday excited to get down there- First i said ill pick up Saturday - then i said NOPE make it later today!  Picked up a PAINTED MOKE BODY !!! YAYAYYAYAY

Well - the job was done - and was honestly - a pretty good job for how fast it was done. I Think he should have kept it for the weekend to let it dry more- that CLEAR was SOFT>. easy to scratch with the slightest rub! Had to handle very gently.

Overall now looking at it over the weekend - Humm -- Its not the best paint job  - its no where near perfect. and a few things about it bother me. - Its a good 5 Footer paint job -- and I think  Humm-- i probably could have accomplshed atleast equal to this myself!

I took it to a painter and body shop to have a CLean paint job - well - sadly - its got quite a bit of trash in it..   Few areas should have been rubbed down more before Spraying.  Few areas found heavy Runs in the color. ETC... it goes on.

In the end - I kinda got what i paid for -- a rush job with rush'ed results.

His shop was POORLY lit- so this dark color- you couldnt see ANY of these imperfections out of the booth... not till i get it home to go over it to see the bad inclusions... He had missed a few big areas on the bumpers so he kept those for a re spray - and ill pick those up this comming week.. while there im going to discuss the final outcome. 

Im OK with the body imperfections - and the general "condition. But - some spots are very un even. - missed clear on one inner panel  and other spots not color'ed either--- So that will be discussed..

Regardless- Im rockin and rollin... Gonna get this baby on the road!

Mudhen

Sorry to hear it didn't come out to your satisfaction...but man, to the untrained eye (ie, mine) - YOWZA!  Looks freakin' gorgeous...  4.gif

jedduh01

Well, IM well over the Quality of the paint job gripes- Now that we're getting some assembly going on the trimmings really are making this body look like a vehicle... The dark color really attracts ALL dusts so hey - in the end, Im the one with the moke it dosnt matter if its glassy or skabby!

Have made some good progress over the past couple of days .

Rear end finished - Minus the parking brake cables Broke 1 on cleaning it up... Dont ask....

Another forum convinced me to go bottoms up on the engine install .  Got the engine nestled into the cradle - Perfcectly easy!

Wanted to assemble completely out of car- Axles to hubs, but found one Original CV Boot was torn.. No suprise., so ordered new boots. and found axle circlip missing--- so . parts are on their way.

Moving along- subframe with hubs can hold a car! Lets put her in!

Plenty High!

getting there

Home Free

it only took a slight rear lift nudge to get the top bolts in!!

then my next worry was the rear subframe to foor bolts... OH MAN!!! Couldnt have been better. ALL HOLES HIT PERFECTLY!

Suprise suprise.. This body hasnt been on solid 4 wheels in 15+ years

Bit of a mock up

Shifter fits...
Clutch is bled

next brakes and electrics!!!!!!

jedduh01

Its been another week - TIme for some updates.  I think you could say i'm OBSESSED with getting this car done.

Finally tonight its quarter till 12 and im sitting down for the evening..Wife things im crazy . obsessive about this...

Anyhow Some GREAT Milestones...

After installing the sub frames - engine. wire and plumbing.. hey were on the road right--- NOPE!! all the "little things" take soo much time!!  Clean more of that- fix this - find that ...

My biggest battle thus far has been wiring.   Helpful tip -  RUn a small jumper fused link. from Negative on your battery to your ground point-   use 10 - 15  20 amp fuses in the fused line to start doing your hookups and testing- If you hit, or touch anything wrong-- fuse pops. No smoke Lost...

This will allow testing of every circuit other than the Starter. Helpful tip shared by other british mini owner!

Rear lights all work (one side turn lamp needs some assistance to Flash)  = Headlights shine- park lamps shine. Fuel Pump Cllacks. Horn will work with the column.  But MAN- been fighting the engine harness..!!

only 5 wires and i keep running into issues- Finally found - Voltage regulator is Shorted-  Main line from the Generator- keeps resistance and is clealy grounded somewhere.. YEP - Un wrapped the harness all the way back to the Regulator box -- YEP  Grounded in the Regulator Box...  Ground termal - grounds high oin resistance of the live terminal.

Ordered a new one ( Still hoping the generator will work) .  If not- Will be putting an alternator on this car!

Starter solenoid clicks properly with the key.
Engine has good oil pressure. Rolled that over a few times. Installed small Oil Pressure Gauge. NICE.

Just need to finalize some Coil and Distrubutor to see if we can make some spark

Clutch Hydrolics have pressure

Just got brake pedal pressure today!!!

Seal Coated the Fuel Tank.!  Saturday  Four days to dry - then allowed to put fuel in it (not yet)---
KBS COatings- I reccomend it for sure! Easy to use , follow directions well - I think turned out PERFECT

A good buddy of miine is a Vinyl and Graphics guy- Good at laying stickers  and graphics-- I showed him a Roll of Pin Stripe I had from somewhere- he put it to PERFECT USE!

Mudhen

Damn you're flying...and we don't mind you being obsessed... ;D

94touring

pbraun

Very nice - you're way ahead of me and my moke.  Eventually I'll get there.  The engine/subframe install sounds and looks easy. I may have to try it that way this time. Now working of bits and pieces - brakes, gas tank, steering, etc..... while CTR gets the engine and tranny back in shape.

I wish I had more time to work on stuff - so much other things now being retired!  Time valuable!  Moke must get done!   Now got the electrolysis going, so starting to soak up all sorts of stuff! 

11.gif  One thing after the other, then don't step on bad stuff with no shoes on!    50.gif
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

jedduh01

Quote from: pbraun on September 04, 2013, 08:02:44 AM
Very nice - you're way ahead of me and my moke.  Eventually I'll get there.  The engine/subframe install sounds and looks easy. I may have to try it that way this time. Now working of bits and pieces - brakes, gas tank, steering, etc..... while CTR gets the engine and tranny back in shape.

I wish I had more time to work on stuff - so much other things now being retired!  Time valuable!  Moke must get done!   Now got the electrolysis going, so starting to soak up all sorts of stuff! 

11.gif  One thing after the other, then don't step on bad stuff with no shoes on!    50.gif

Keep it up Peter-- I saw your post on MM.. and progress is happening... that metal slugging is slow going no matter what it is the basis for how the car comes toggether, so you want it done right- If it takes more tiem.. SO be it!

I'm VERY fortunate. Calm family time. Work for corporate for the day - plan on working on the Moke at night - Lots of progress that way!

Congrats on the electrolsys-- Its really good N simple pretty easy cleanin... the Black stuff does take a little effort and likes to stick to your hands after cleaning off, but the results are great.

I did do both of my Clutch and Brake masters-- But now after filling both - the brake master leaked fluid out-- humm.. right on the bottom side. WHere at == so i put in some green food coloring and EASY TO SEE.. Uh oh!!  Pin HOLES!!

Cleaned the cyl out again -- I honestly patched them with JB Weld / Fuel tank epoxy... Let it dry for 24 Hours.   Looking for any signs of fluid - watching the level today --- It should hold since it was only the resevorir that dripped.

Keep up the work... We shall Both be moking in NO TIME!

jedduh01

And to add a few more tastes about my progress....

Back finding the Voltage regulator was shorted out - Purchased a New one-- Ebay For the win!!  46$  worth a try.  Recieved that Tuesday!   traced all wires each direction using the proper MOke wire diagram.. Labeled and tripple checked everything.. I FINALLY have it wired correctly  The Red Igniton light never glowed brighter!   No Oil pressure warning lamp Humm.. Check that- Bad switch--- replaced with old spare . Fixed too.

OK so electrics. Lets make her fire.!  Old Distrubutor from the 850 - Old Side exit cap... humm -Hooke it up. flashy with thie points to the coil.. but no bang.  OH YEA  ! Lets tighten and set the valve clearance.

Check and check --- no bang with the 850 early dizzy... SO step over to a second spare dizzy i picked up randomly from another 998 i previously had-  Top exit - neat old green wires + all for Champoin spark plug connectors... same dizzy flash - no bang to the motor.  Finally start looking...  I have the Dizzy 180Deg out...
turn to the right direction - Pop POP. Close  - turn one or two more teeth to bring the rotor to #1 better- BANG.. Advance time.. advance more-  VROOM!!!!!! she runs!  first kick , each start.

OK LETS DO THIS!!!  now pour real fuel in the nicely seald tank! Fuel pump supplies well...  Water in the radator.. Small leak out a Thermostat housing bolt... Re seal that... Cltuch feels good. Call it a night, but i said hey - I could drive this very soon.   Call insurance., get coverage.  This afternoon, to the DMV... Simple normal plates.. DONE AND DONE  LEGAL For the road baby!  Come home.. Have neighbor pump brakes one last round..  spinnly wheel. press pedal. stops... We should have brakes...LETS GO!!!   
Vroom.. moves easily the first 5 feet.. Get in Neighbor -- Lets go!   First trip taken out of garage today! No windscreen, no Bonnet.  Kinda rough, Sticky gaspedal.  Sloppy clutch , hydrolcis went flat too quicly..

OK so a few more things to Tidy up...

Wife comes home - We re assemble the windscreen.    fix the clutch.  Fix the gaspedal MUCH BETTER>. wife gets her first moke ride too - She's afraid to drive it so far But she will!  Rides great- takes bumps MUCH better than my lowered normal minis. 

Leaking oil pretty good out the axle seals... and i think the tappet chest is leaking a bit too  :( not a fun leak...

Few shots before a nice cleanup this weekend., Dust and dirt and smudges need taken away...

SO its been almost exactly 5 months for this car project and i HONESTLY cant believe its come this far... I like this forum post cause ive written pretty much every step, so I or anyone else (future owners) can have for refrence.  I hope to get the original owner's contact info, send him this too and he can see what a hunk of junk he sold me... But fun!!!

More small things to come here and there--
Decisions to make aon a Roof / Top - Flappy or Golfcart?

Need to get a good exhaust made-- Have a soid downpipe back about 3/4 of the car-  and then a nice RC40 Muffler-- Need a linking pipe made about 26 Inches.

Need to fix+ Install parking brake stuffs... Oh it wont stop!!!

94touring

Five months is great time to tackle so much.  And yes this post will be here for future reference.  Unlike mini mania my threads don't expire after a year.

jedduh01

Quote from: 94touring on September 05, 2013, 09:46:46 PM
Five months is great time to tackle so much.  And yes this post will be here for future reference.  Unlike mini mania my threads don't expire after a year.

Let me Recover from some of these moke charges and some Web Hosting $$ support will be coming your way!

Many thanks for the Avenue!  4.gif

jedduh01

Drove to work this morning- Wow- Amazing All is running great! ! kinda strange in traffic lights to be soooooo exposed like that.

Got to work- couple co workers noticed- said WOW Congrats!   

Home for lunch - Clutch feels funny... not holding pressure--- Slave Cyl is dry -- Master cyl has to be leaking air by.

Humm - ordering a Clutch master.

Found i had two Axle Yolk Seals already here--- Why didnt i put them in when the transmission was out 11.gif--- but anyways. Did that Tonight too - SHould have stopped the Oil leaks by 80%

Bummer the clutch is acting up - I'M going to nurse it to Cars and Coffee in the morning- Bring a jug o brake fluid- and some tools just in case..

Otherwise- SHES FUN!!!

oh the ratty exhaust-- Needs Repair- Hopefully right after clutch works- i can take to a muffler shop and they can help it out!

Mudhen

4.gif

Probably need to drive that like a motorcycle - always assume people aren't seeing you and the ones that do see you want to kill you.

But at least on a bike I wear head-to-toe gear - you'd look like The Stig doing that in the Moke!

Congrats man.  AWESOME.

Pat

jedduh01

Well  -  Have been Moking for about 2 weeks now .. BOY OH BOY WHat good fun... 

Questoin at nearly every stoplight - " Is that legal??"

Two Saturdays ago - Cars and Coffee meet- all cars welcome of  all types- Typically everyone flocks to the Lambo's and exotics, but this Moke really drew a crowd-- too many people too many questions I had to walk away....Most people were stunned. Mini friend has now given me a MOKE brochure - I can put in the window and describe easily what the car is . Kids I let sit in it loved it and wanted to take it home... Simple fun.

Exhaust about fell off- Crappy mid pipe installed but we Made it home - Clutch was frumpy- but operable.

New clutch cyl installed - having a new mid pipe made to match the RC40 rear muffler better = quieter.
   Was getting hard to start some times -- randomly.... Puilled plugs-- water in number3 cyl . foulding plug unitl it blows it out -- HUMM _- re torque head-- Problem hasnt come back-- Hopefully head gasket needed a bit more squish - and took care of that.

Now my path is a Roof - or say Hood... took the golf cart roof route-  fabbed up a few brackets and went for a test drive- YUCK - MUCH louder- Reflects sounds - and feel like its going to lift off- Shakes the windshield TOOOO MUCH -  Talking this week to an upholstery top pro for if he can make a top or not... shall see

Only one Stop  dead while on the road - Coil wire broke - single  Butt connector from a nearby shop - got me running again. Now keeping a simple tool kit in the Pontoon!

Afraid to go on the interstate at this point - TOO BLUSTERY without a roof... but we managed to spend the entire weekend running around town. Great times none the less!.

94touring

pbraun

Quote from: 94touring on September 16, 2013, 07:07:44 PM
Awesome to hear you're enjoying it!

Yeah, really nice!  I will be there someday soon. Just got a new tub to soak the gas tank in. Trying to get a lot done while the shell is getting done, but having some road blocks thrown at me, ah, well, life goes on.

Congratulations on getting your Moke going. !   Are you going to the CMU event?
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

SomethingNew71

Quote from: pbraun on September 18, 2013, 05:05:21 AM
Quote from: 94touring on September 16, 2013, 07:07:44 PM
Awesome to hear you're enjoying it!

Yeah, really nice!  I will be there someday soon. Just got a new tub to soak the gas tank in. Trying to get a lot done while the shell is getting done, but having some road blocks thrown at me, ah, well, life goes on.

Congratulations on getting your Moke going. !   Are you going to the CMU event?

He better!!! I have been badgering him to drive the moke up instead of towing it.  Not sure where he's at on that choice yet.  Maybe you guys can help me convince him.   4.gif