Dutchy's 1988 Rover Mini Project

Started by dutchy1978, November 17, 2010, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchy1978

Hi All,

My name is Steve and I just joined up the other day after having a look around at the great projects that other members have done or are still doing.
I only stumbled across this site the other day so thought Iââ,¬â,,¢d join in on the fun by sharing my Mini Project with you all. Hopefully my info helps others and vice versa.
I Purchased my first Mini in April this year and in June started what was going to be a small engine change turned into a huge resto project.  I have created a website with details of where it all started to where I am today. (halfway) I plan to have it all back together by Feb/March next year so working flat out at nights and on weekends.  Click on the link below to have a sticky. feel free to comment or ask questions.

The pics of my car at the top of the web page are what it looked like before I started stripping it.

http://www.dutchysmini.com/

Cheers,
Steve

94touring

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Quote from: joltfreak on November 18, 2010, 06:49:51 PM
hanks for sharing and Welcome!

His name is Steve not Hank  22.gif  Better check the T on your keyboard. 

dutchy1978

Body is coming along now. more updatd photos from the weekend on page 4 of the projects tab.

Hope to get the shell back complete on Sunday the 28th Nov.

cheers

joltfreak

Quote from: 94touring on November 18, 2010, 08:36:05 PM
Quote from: joltfreak on November 18, 2010, 06:49:51 PM
hanks for sharing and Welcome!

His name is Steve not Hank  22.gif  Better check the T on your keyboard. 

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

macmanron

Looking good, Wish I could say there was progress on my Woody, but none lately. That will change after this weekend.
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

dutchy1978

A bit has been done since I last posted an update.
I have the car back in my control now and am going flat out to get it primed before Xmas. I plan to have the engine bay, boot, inside the doors, boot lid & bonnet painted in colour over the Xmas to NY break so I can start putting all the running gear back on.
I am hoping to paint the rest of the car around Mid to late Jan with a completion Feb or March. I am sure the Christmas period will slow things down but so far so good.

Click on the link below to go straight to page 4. Page 5 has the latest picks & info

http://www.dutchysmini.com/page-4.html

Cheers

94touring

Keep up the good work, you'll have it done in no time.

94touring

Any luck with that primer and paint yet? 

dutchy1978

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2010, 01:35:48 PM
Any luck with that primer and paint yet? 

Primer got done before christmas & paint has been applied inside. just need to block the outside, repair any minor imperfections and then we'll be ready for the exterior colour.

website has been updated with new photos.

cheers
Dutchy

94touring

dutchy1978

Hi all,

website has been updated. Paint was done yesterday. Looks great in my opinion. (but then i am a bit bias..ha ha)

check out page 6 of the projects tab to see how it was done yesterday.

http://dutchysmini.com

94touring

I can smell it from here  4.gif  Nothing better than fresh shiney paint. 

danotje

That looks awesome, man! I just started my car, but I'm looking forward to the day when the body/paint is done. Imagine that is a great feeling. Great job!

MEhinger

Great looking project. Now comes the fun of putting the shiny bits on.

dutchy1978

it is definitely a great feeling. almost a sense of relief as it takes so long to prep the body to ensure it comes up good when the paint goes on.
all i can say is that when you get to that point where you think don't worry about that little blemish in the primer, just fix it cos that couple of minute to fix it will make you even happier when it is painted.

the rest of the parts are ready to go so just need to assemble it together which i am sure will be a task with many headaches. bring on the drugs and vitamins for the next stage.

macmanron

Ha! I knew that color looked familiar! Looks good!!
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

MEhinger

The point you are at is where I got myself in trouble. I startrd to clean up each nut, bolt snd screw, then startedto say " I bet I could find a new one like it. Next thing I knew I had found every store in east tennessee that sold nuts and bolts and had replaced every one. Good luck, it looks great.

dutchy1978

yep, got heaps of new nuts and bolts to put it all back together. some of the specific ones i ordered from Mini spares. I pretty much have everything i need to do the job just need the time. i bet that is the issue most of us face. time!!

danotje

Wow! The car looks great, but I gotta admit, I'm impressed by the garage/shop, too! I think that is where I've run into a little trouble. I've been outfitting my shop with tools, etc. I finally got the welder and small blast cabinet--the final pieces. I have to build my air system this weekend using iron pipe, drains and a filter/dryer system. I think the shop has been some of the most fun I've had so far! I guess eventually I'll have to actually work on the car  :o  Here's what it looks like pre-welder, blaster, air system.

dutchy1978

Looks very organised. sounds like you are setting up your garage for ongoing work with the air system and all. should turn out good when you are finished.
When i built my house i had the standard 2 car garage extended by 2 1/2 mtrs to accomodate for my bench, toys & of course my Mini project. I have always been a hands on person so it was a must. The wife got what she wanted out of the rest of the house & i got my garage.

94touring

Any updates on installing new shiney bolts?

dutchy1978

Quote from: 94touring on February 15, 2011, 10:50:28 AM
Any updates on installing new shiney bolts?

Been a bit happening. just updated the website now. i sanded out the orange peel and buffed the whole car up. turned out perfect. no photos yet as you really can't see the difference on the camera. I have fitted the brake line back on, made the fuel lines which should go back into the car tonight. i have also fitted the steering rack, heater, pedal box, the firewall grommets and clips, A/C fan & shroud, Cooling fan, radiator over flow bottle, emission canister and more. Even started installing the main wiring harness. the rear harness has also been installed. Looking forward to this weekend as i hawe plans to hit it hard. we'll see what happens. It's all happening.

94touring

Hey you got me thinking about springs vs the rubber cones.  Did you go with oversized bump stops, front and rear?  Which style spring did you go with and why?