Dutchy's 1988 Rover Mini Project

Started by dutchy1978, November 17, 2010, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

I was drooling over a vintage Judson on ebay a few days ago.  Looks like there's another one, but OUCH, guess they don't give them away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judson-Supercharger-for-A-series-BMC-Austin-Healey-Bugeye-Mini-Sprite-/200844545917?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec3448f7d&vxp=mtr

Are you working off what someone else has done?  Just curious about the parts...'kia throttle body, etc'.

I have a new license plate for you (if your state allows 8 characters):

EATONMUP

dutchy1978

Ouch is right. The Judson sure is nice if your restoring a vintage.

I am modelling it off the Vmax but using photos an info from other forums and superchrager projects. Google images is helping too. Trying to use the best of all ideas.

Love the number plate idea.

dutchy1978

For those that are interested, there is some more progress on my super charger project. Nothing major.

http://www.dutchysmini.com/supercharging.html

Cheers,
Dutchy

dutchy1978

Running a pole on my website on whether or not to add a Bini Cooper S bonnet scoop to my beast.

Click on the link below, scroll to the bottom of the page and vote.

http://www.dutchysmini.com/supercharging.html

Your comments on this thread are also welcome.  :)

Cheers!!!

Mudhen

I made my kids turn around from their video game for a second to look...

'OH, MAN, that's sick!!'
'Cool, I want it!'

Not sure if having a 8yo and 11yo like it is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm torn.  But it certainly looks a lot cooler than a big bump or other protrusion from the hood.

dutchy1978

I agree. I am not a fan of the raised bonnet scoop on the minis. I have always liked the Bini scoops but was not sure if it would fit until i received it in the post the other day. The curve is similar to my bonnets curve so dont need to modify it too much. I just need to make a firm decision before hacking into a perfectly good bonnet.

So far I am leaning on the side of doing it.

94touring

My pickup came wish scoop no the bonnet and was the first thing I took off.   

MtyMous

This is an older idea, but I've never seen it executed in person or in detail.

This image is from the July 2004 edition of Mini World.

dutchy1978

I did see this image but didn't like it. Correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't look like the Bini scoop at it is quite flat. I also think the positioning is too far up the bonnet. The Bini is further down the front of the bonnet and more curved.

MPlayle

It may depend on which series of MINI (Bini) scoop.  The 'early' ones (2002 - 2006) where different from the 'later' - current - ones (2007+).  The 'early' ones were directly functional as they guided fresh air through the intercooler.  The 'later' ones are more for consistent appearance of the 'S' models - there is no intercooler on the turbo-charged ones.

dutchy1978

I thought the same thing. Thought it was a 2007>> but as MtyMous mentioned, this car was on the front of the July 2004 edition of Miniworld mag which means the later scoops weren't out yet.

dutchy1978

Recently cut out a new dashboard out of MDF. had it carbon fibre wrapped a couple of days ago and finished assembling it. Much better than the woodgrain in my opinion. Almost looks like a bought one.

94touring

How much to buy one?  Looks amazing.

Mudhen

Holy crap that looks INCREDIBLE!  4.gif

dutchy1978

MDF timber - $25
Can of primer - $12
Carbon fibre wrapped $150
3 x Chrome dial rings - $45
Total - $232 AUD

Half a day to cut out the timber.

Now that I have seen how they wrapped my dash I could probably buy the 3M carbon fibre vinyl wrap for about $60 and do it myself. This would bring the total price down a bit.

dutchy1978

Latest update for those interested.

A fair bit has happened since my last post.....a while ago.

Engine is back in the car, manifold and intake pipe all welded up and test fitted, fuel lines and adapters plumbed, injectors located, Autronics ECU installed.
Now need to polish the stainess components before finally installing them for good.

MtyMous

That's pretty awesome. I really like the dashboard. My dash looks surprisingly similar, but I forked out the cash for one of the ones that's got real carbon and epoxy. Not sure if I like it any better than yours to be honest. haha. My last dash that I made had a very similar design to yours and a thick vinyl (like a counter top) material layed over it by a local vinyl place. I cut it very closely to yours, but yours definitely turned out a lot cleaner. haha.

Keep posting on the supercharger build. I'm very interested in where this goes.

dutchy1978

Latest update.......got it running the other day but needs tuning above my knowledge.
It took a while as there were some teething issues with ignition and timing. Before I put it on a dyno for tuning I need to add an injector to the intake before the supercharger to assist with cooling the rotors. Unfortunately the intake temp is a bit too high without it.
Also needed an idle control motor so still to wire that.
I decided to buy some race seats and have them recovered to match my existing interior. Pretty happy with the outcome.

This weekend I am getting the centre piece of the exhaust fitted (stainless) will also get a lambda sensor bung put into the collector to assist with a more accurate reading of all ports.

Getting there. Albeit slowly. Too much work travel is keeping me from finishing it quickly.
Aiming for a supercharged mini under the Xmas tree. Fingers crossed Santa comes to my house.

Willie_B

Very tidy. I like the black rad fan. Is that just a painted plastic one?

94touring

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

dutchy1978

Quote from: Willie_B on November 11, 2013, 05:52:57 AM
Very tidy. I like the black rad fan. Is that just a painted plastic one?

Yep. Plastic primer and then black plastic/vinyl paint. Crack resistant.
Looks great. Better than the yellow