998 Automatic #2 Rebuild

Started by MiniDave, December 28, 2020, 07:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yep, I send him updates from time to time....

I don't have the dizzy and a few other small bits yet, but I have enough old parts I can use to run the engine......I may get it running later today between T-Storms.

If not it's supposed to all clear out by tomorrow afternoon.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

It's ready to run, all wired up, gassed up and so on, however I found late tonight that the choke isn't working correctly - so I guess I'll have to take the linkage apart and see what's up......I need to modify it anyway so the kick down link will work....I'm starting to wonder if this is actually the carb I sent to Joe Curto or if the reason I got such a quick turnaround is that he swapped it for one he already had done?

I'll take a good hard look at it tomorrow.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I fired up the 998 Automatic that's going into the Pup, I had to mess with the kickdown link quite a bit to make it bend around the header pipe and function correctly, but it came good in the end.

I started this engine, let it warm up to 140* and retorqued the head and checked the valves, then fired it up again and ran it for 20 min at 2K fast idle. It sounds really smooth and idles nicely with good oil pressure. Ran cool too, only about 165 but it's only about 60* today so that probably affected it some.

I'll let it cool down overnight, then retorque the head again and do a final setting of the valve lash, then fire it up again, and fine tune the timing and carb, then it will be ready to go.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

It was so cool out today that the engine was dead cold this afternoon, so I checked the head torque again (it didn't pull down any further) and rechecked the valves, and found a couple of loose ones.

So I fired it up again and let it warm up - put oil in the top of the carb that I had forgotten to do, then once it was fully warmed up I set the mixture a little better and it runs and idles sweetly now.

Done and done.

All that's left is to drain the water out.....I may let him add coolant later as I have a feeling this one might sit for a while before it's run again. Or I might go ahead and charge it with coolant......we'll see.

I do need to get yet some more oil for it - there's 8 quarts in it now and I think it needs another 1 1/2!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

If you all remember, I was concerned this engine might run hot because of all the debris and rust I had to dig out of the head and the block that was blocking all the water passages, luckily it looks like that won't be a concern after all, it never went above 170 on my test stand!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The Pup in the title of this thread showed up today, tomorrow I'll get the green engine out of the stand and the cream one in, then get started putting this motor in. My brief is only to bolt it in and tighten down all the front subframe, axles and brake assemblies. The car doesn't have an interior, wiring harness or much else at this point.....the owner wanted a project he could make his own. It does have completely rebuilt subframes, brakes and suspension already so the rest will be up to him. I don't know how quickly it can get loaded out to the northeast, right now the plan is to load it up in the trailer on the 6th, but I'm hopeful it can go sooner than that to free up the rack. I have my green Mini's engine to swap out and another one to get started on yet this year.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I wasn't sure it was going to fit, especially from the top - the factory puts them in from the bottom....

But after some creative maneuvering, it's in da hole!

I still have some odds and ends to button up, but it should be ready to go home this weekend - unfortunately unless something happens the truck won't be leaving till the 6th of November......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Motor all in and buttoned up.

Rearranged the loose items in the bed and the interior.

Did a few more odds and ends. The plan now is that Clancy will pick it up this coming Fri or Sat.....

Had to do a major clean up and re-arranging of the garage so I could get my green Mini in before the storms hit last night.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The last big thing I need to do is install the axles and tighten everything up in the front end - Dan left everything loose at my request as I knew I would just have to take it apart to get the axles in place.

So, Dan brought me two of the wire retaining clips - but it takes 4 - luckily I had a pair also. I installed the right axle in the outer CV first as I thought that would be the easier way - ummmm.......well, it sounded good anyway. Before I was done I wound up getting out my cone compressor and pulling the cone up so I could get the axle lined up straight, then everything went together just fine. I think the short side (left) won't present the same issues.

So, right side is in and buttoned up, still need to put the cotter pin in and then once I can put weight on it I can install the little rubber droop bumper. Once that's done and the left side is installed and buttoned up it's ready to head out of town.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And.......she's done! Just waiting to get picked up sometime next week to go to her new home.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Nice, I sure do like the look of the little trucks.

MiniDave

I think they're kinda goofy looking, but I wouldn't mind having one if I fit better. Don calls his driving position "the praying mantis", as his knees are bent and he's resting his forearms on the steering wheel.

The issue is the backrest can't go back any farther because of the bolt upright rear panel and glass, so if you want any recline in the seat you have to scootch it forward and bend your knees even more.

Overall, I just don't fit.....

I wouldn't mind having another wagon - even a clubby - or a van. With the extra length on the front the clubby is particularly well suited for a vtec swap

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Yeah I can imagine that driving one would not be a lot of fun unless you are fairly short limbed. My legs cramp up in the regular mini with the seat as far back as possible and pretty reclined as well.

I also like the wagon's and vans.

MiniDave

Final chapter on this build - at least for me......today we loaded it into the trailer for the trip to Boston.

My friend Clancy will leave next week for the coast, with several stops along the way to pick up another car and deliver it and meet up with some of his vendors and such. He also plans a stop at the Vietnam vets memorial in DC along the way home. He was a Medivac tech during the war.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on October 26, 2021, 04:48:58 PM
I think they're kinda goofy looking, but I wouldn't mind having one if I fit better. Don calls his driving position "the praying mantis", as his knees are bent and he's resting his forearms on the steering wheel.

The issue is the backrest can't go back any farther because of the bolt upright rear panel and glass, so if you want any recline in the seat you have to scootch it forward and bend your knees even more.

Overall, I just don't fit.....

I wouldn't mind having another wagon - even a clubby - or a van. With the extra length on the front the clubby is particularly well suited for a vtec swap

The only way I have found to fit myself in my pick up is with stock seats, no steering column drop bracket, and no bigger than a 13 inch steering wheel, I am 6' 2" with a 32 in seam.

cstudep

Quote from: MiniDave on October 30, 2021, 03:45:37 PM
Final chapter on this build - at least for me......today we loaded it into the trailer for the trip to Boston.

My friend Clancy will leave next week for the coast, with several stops along the way to pick up another car and deliver it and meet up with some of his vendors and such. He also plans a stop at the Vietnam vets memorial in DC along the way home. He was a Medivac tech during the war.......

That is a really nice trailer!

MiniDave

Yes, he hauls race stuff all over the states with it - he hates being home and would rather be on the road.....he's a travelin' man!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad