Yet Another Engine Rebuild Thread

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2022, 12:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

This is a former SPi motor converted to carb, being rebuilt to go into a Mk 1 of indeterminate year, Dan will be getting the shell soon to add to his pile of cars needing paint. It's currently almond green but I think the owner is leaning towards Chili red with a pepper white top to match his 2004 Cooper S

But even tho the shell won't probably be done till possibly the end of the 22, the owner wanted me to go ahead with the engine rebuild.

So to that end I've torn it down and stripped it out to get ready to go to the machine shop sometime next week. Spec will be 40 over pistons, 10.3-1 compression, a Keith Calver head and cam setup with 1.14 rockers, running a nice LCB header, RC40 exhaust and an HIF44 carb..... should make plenty of power.

The rod change trans needs only to be cleaned and have new synchros installed, but we will be adding a cross pin diff and keeping the 3:1 diff ratio - he's undecided on that and may go to the 3:44 before it's all done, but we'll see.

The crank is in great shape and only needs to be cleaned and have new shells and thrusts. All in all a good basis to build up.

I still have to finish stripping the block, remove the cam bearings and all the core plugs, then clean all the gasket surfaces. I will have the deck surfaced just enough to clean it up and since we have a new cylinder head that won't need anything but paint to match it to the block.

Right now the engine will be red with silver gearbox and black for all the other bits.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Will he be going oversized on the pistons?  How did it look as far as it never really making good compression?

MiniDave

40 over pistons, same as your engine.....did see some wear in the bores, a little ridge at the top of the cylinders, not horrible tho. Have not checked to see if any of the rings are stuck or broken and I haven't even looked at the cylinder head/valve condition.

I'll give it a good going over today before I send the parts off to the machine shop....

Bottom end looked really good, std sized bearings will be all it needs.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I got this block and crank back from the machine shop, we bored it 40 over and put the new pistons on the rods. I still have a lot of cleanup to do before I can paint it, and the weather might slow that process down as I need to do that outside and............well, it's winter in Kansas!

The crank was worn right to the minimums so we went ahead and turned it 10 under on both the rods and mains - it carried good oil pressure but now it we know it will be straight and the clearances correct.

I have the right main and rod bearings on order along with some other small parts, once I get it clean and painted I can start with the re-assembly.

More as it happens.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Things must be a little caught up at MiniSpares these days, I ordered some parts last night and DHL has already sent me a pick up notice.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad