That royally sucked

Started by 94touring, June 29, 2020, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Tried to do some updates and failed miserably.  Not only that but Godaddy no longer provides support for the forum software.  I won't even get into all the details of what I was trying to do to fix it, but luckily after the 2nd call to them I got someone who was able to reset a few things.  Not fun!

MiniDave

Success!

Been a long day without my RM fix!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

There was a moment I thought I lost years worth of data.  I did a backup recently but it had apparently failed and it overwrote the last backup.  Didn't realize it had been doing that so last file I had was from 5 years ago. 

BruceK

Thanks for doing the work behind the scenes keeping RM going!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I've been at it for 8.5 hours  :(   And didn't even get the updates to work. 

MPlayle

Still, three cheers for getting it back up.

94touring

I'll probably try to find a real web guy to do the things I'd like to do.  Must mean I'm getting old.   

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

I couldn't find a way in via the home page, so I did an Internet search for a known thread and finally I found a way in through a lounge thread.  Still no maintenance and modifications section, but it's nice to be here.
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 29, 2020, 06:34:32 PM
I'll probably try to find a real web guy to do the things I'd like to do.  Must mean I'm getting old.

No, it means you are not a web guy.  Can a web guy fly a 777 wide?  No, because he is a web guy.

That is why I use a CPA for my payroll and taxes, because I am not a CPA. 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: John Gervais on June 29, 2020, 07:08:47 PM
I couldn't find a way in via the home page, so I did an Internet search for a known thread and finally I found a way in through a lounge thread.  Still no maintenance and modifications section, but it's nice to be here.

Everything is up and running, so if you're missing content then try clearing cookies or caches.

Jims5543

I am just glad to be able to motivate you to get er done.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Here's some good news......used to be every time I went to the site I had to type my password in, now it remembers me again!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on June 29, 2020, 07:24:32 PM

I was in full blown panic mode when I got that lol.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on June 29, 2020, 07:25:20 PM
Here's some good news......used to be every time I went to the site I had to type my password in, now it remembers me again!   4.gif

Something good came out of it! 

I may try to switch host to a provider that has the software available for easy installation.  I messed with a test domain with a new host but sorting out glitches before I feel comfortable swapping everything over.  If I can install the updated forum software and upload our backup file successfully then I'll be happy. 

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 29, 2020, 07:37:14 PM

I am always here for you.  I know you work well under stress.   ;D

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on June 29, 2020, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: 94touring on June 29, 2020, 07:37:14 PM

I am always here for you.  I know you work well under stress.   ;D

Yes luckily for me I got no sleep and now about to fly a 777 to Germany and back to Ireland.  This coffee should do the trick...

LilDrunkenSmurf

I still can't get in using SSL, tells me the site can't handle my SSL request.

I'm personally running mine on AWS, using a Bitnami AMI image. I have cronjobs setup for automatic backup, and upload to S3, keeping the last 7 days. Maybe an option over a traditional host?

MiniDave

/\ I think he's speaking in Canadian or something.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

More like "IT Geek".   ;D

I can still recognize it, but have not understood "IT Geek" for many years.  I can converse in low level "Firmware Geek"!

94touring

Yeah I never kept up with the times and have an SSL.  Something I noticed when I used a computer vs my phone with Chrome and get the not secure note by the address bar.  I'm currently in the process of building an alter ego forum on a different host that makes it easier for idiots like myself to setup this type of stuff.  If things all work out then we'll slip on over there.  Forum software was a breeze to install as well as an SSL.  Had some issues backing up and restoring the forum on the new host but think I figured out why within phpmyadmin.  It took the backup file from here, except that I believe I need to transfer all the files from this host over to the new host for the backup file to actually take.  As of now it will restore successfully but nothing actually transfers over. 

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on June 30, 2020, 12:09:37 PM
/\ I think he's speaking in Canadian or something.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Translation: He scores!

John Gervais

Nope - still can't get on the Homepage or the Maintenance and Modifications pages.

I use Internet Explorer because I can't always remember my passwords.  I tried using the Windows 10 Disk Clean-up, so I don't know...

EDIT - Voila!  I ran the clean-up again and 'poof' - the website works again!
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Probably just needed to clear some cookies ect...

LilDrunkenSmurf