That royally sucked

Started by 94touring, June 29, 2020, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I bought my wife a laptop in 2003 when she was hospitalized, we still have it and it still works just fine - running I think Win 98? might be Millenium....can't remember. Probably the only reason it still works is because it required a plug in modem to connect wirelessly to the net and that hasn't worked in 15 years!

I haven't tried to connect it to the modem with a cable
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I can't connect to here on my phone or work desktop using chrome but my tablet works fine, I have not checked anything yet but will try removing the S from https.

94touring

I can connect from my phone, laptop, and desktop.

LilDrunkenSmurf

My work laptop is a macbook. I work at a bank. It runs most of my software better than windows.
I run a mix of windows, mac and linux at home.

tsumini

My wife volunteers for AARP to do free taxes for elderly, and anyone who wants to wait their turn.  I kinda help out by being the technical coordinator for the group.
They were handed new Chromebooks this year. Chromebook change wasn't very smooth especially for the older volunteers. I had to figger out the printers which was a challenge. We made it through mostly because it was shutdown until first week in July.
I think chromebooks are only good for doing internet things. It certainly is not industrial grade.

jeff10049

I think the linux switchover on our equipment will be nice. Then we'lll be running a mix of windows and Linux at the shop not thrilled about running a mix but if it works better I'm up for it.
They (the equipment manufacture) make it sound like  the Linux systems just work no need to do anything just use it until you want to upgrade.

They say it rarely if ever chashes no forced updates or compatibility issues with files the Linux software will pretty much accept any vectored drawing I can throw at it from any year of cad software.       

I'm using a Chromebook now it's mostly what I use at home they are a lean mean internet machine. But as far as working from them that is a challenge.
I suppose if it's all cloud based they would be ok but I can't think of much work related stuff that I could even do with a Chromebook I think that is slowly changing but not there yet.