New job coming up

Started by 94touring, December 16, 2019, 12:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I tentatively have a class date at a new company February 3rd.  Those with cars at my shop...well the pause button gets pressed for 2 months while I endure some very rigorous training.  Just had my 10 year anniversary at the current company and as much as I'll miss the hundreds of co workers I've formed a relationship with, I am very much looking forward to bigger and better things.  The new job will be flying a 777 for an international charter company.  They mainly have military contracts but also cruise ships and other vacations type companies that feed passengers through them.  Apparently some other carriers lease out the operation depending on the season to fly their passengers around when they can't staff or have the planes available.  Anyways some benefits will be home more, and longer stretches at a time, instead of my 2-3 days off I get now.  I may be gone a few weeks at a time but then have a month off kind of schedule.  Other notable intriguing factor is the headquarters is here in Tulsa and they want a new chief pilot on the 777.  That person being me once I get some operational experience.   How that offer was tossed on the table could be posted in the drunk thread.  Ended up going out for drinks with the management (CEO, VP, Chief) a couple weeks ago somewhat accidentally and it also served as my interview apparently.  I had recently applied and was hopeful to just hear anything back.  In the airline world getting an interview is a hard task, usually involves work shops, paying a 3rd party consulting company to do interview prep, and a shit ton of stress and other BS hoops to jump through.  I feel like my experience was nothing short of a miracle.  I was also offered a chief pilot job at my current company which I turned down for this new opportunity.  Things are going good! 

Willie_B

MiniDave

Congrats! Movin on up!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Glad to hear the "interview" went well. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 16, 2019, 05:13:56 PM

Everyone was out of commission the whole next day.   I was just glad they remembered the part where they hired me.

gr8kornholio

That's true.  Especially if you didn't get the terms in writing, I mean scribbles, on like a napkin or something.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 16, 2019, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 16, 2019, 05:13:56 PM

Everyone was out of commission the whole next day.   I was just glad they remembered the part where they hired me.

Thank god for alcohol!! Lubricating the wheels when you need it too.

Congrats!! 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

minifrisco

BruceK

Super news!  I'm very happy for you.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

94touring

Feb 3rd was confirmed today.  Got a stack of material to learn by then.  The job notice goes in the 1st of January.

MiniDave

Excellent news, I guess we won't be hearing much from you after mid January as you study!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Won't be much from me till April

MPlayle

When in April?  Thinking ahead to how the change will affect your possibly making the tentative South Texas Hill Country run.

94touring

Honestly no clue.  I'll get done with ground school and sim, then be doing initial operating experience somwhere on the other side of the planet for a month probably with a stretch of days off somewhere in there. 

MPlayle

The tentative dates for the drive event are April 19 - 26.

94touring

Hopefully I'm free then.  Time will tell. 

snack

Bond007mini

Congratulations!! Wishing you the best of luck!!

94touring

Finished up 9 fixed based sims and then tonight got a proficiency check on the full motion sim.  Now off to Dallas to complete the rest of the full motion sims and get this done after a systems exam tomorrow. I got swapped from my initial sim partner cause I was leaving him in my dust, and they gave me the guy with 747 time which is nearly identical to the 777.  With us together we're plowing through this stuff like it's nothing.  First attempt landing this thing was a breeze as well.  Definitely the gentleman's airplane.

MiniDave

Nice...flying the sim. Did they let you go to any cool airports, or just the usual places....LAX, Ohare, Atlanta, JFK....like that?

No more flying into podunk airports for you, right? Time for the big leagues?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Super!  Sounds like a lot of hard work, but fun too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Pretty cool stuff.  Hopefully you'll be extra busy with training cause the are slowly closing Dallas down.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on March 17, 2020, 07:31:06 AM
Nice...flying the sim. Did they let you go to any cool airports, or just the usual places....LAX, Ohare, Atlanta, JFK....like that?

No more flying into podunk airports for you, right? Time for the big leagues?

SFO to LAX, takeoff have some emergencies, return to SFO, go around, pop an engine, fly a single engine procedure missing terrain, come back around land type of thing. 

Real world flying will all over the globe to some popular and not so popular destinations.  Realize we do department of defense stuff.  Not your ordinary airline. 

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 17, 2020, 09:23:18 AM
Pretty cool stuff.  Hopefully you'll be extra busy with training cause the are slowly closing Dallas down.

I've basically been in self quarantine this whole month lol