Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Those two were fun to watch. Thanks Bruce

BruceK

This is insane.  Watch at the 5:00 mark.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

500 hp in a toothpick boat!   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The level of detail on this build is amazing. Everything looks "correct" to scale.

Imagine if a Mini was built like this.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ADRay

Quote from: BruceK on August 22, 2020, 07:57:20 AM
This is insane.  Watch at the 5:00 mark.

I like how calm the dude driving the boat is the whole time
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on August 30, 2020, 05:27:19 PM
The level of detail on this build is amazing. Everything looks "correct" to scale.

Imagine if a Mini was built like this.

Kind of like BMW did with the Mini, except they screwed it up.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A look at a white and black Mini (the best color combo!  4.gif ) driving around Japan.  Nice heel and toe work too!  No English subtitles on this video, but hey, nice cinematography.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I didn't think they sold MPI's in Japan?

At least it didn't have a distributor......so maybe an SPi/MPi mix, with SPi injection?  I haven't looked at an MPi injector setup, so I don't know for sure what it looks like, but that looked like SPi to me.....but on MPi I think the injectors were right at the head, in the intake manifold rather than above the throttle body like an SPi?

That single lane concrete road in Indonesia with the Leyland Innocenti 1000 was interesting - as was the red/green color combo even carried thru the interior. I wonder if that was an aftermarket thing or Italian factory colors? Also, A/C on the Inno 1000? That was a surprise.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I think the white and red Mini in Indonesia probably came from Japan and was dressed up to look like an earlier Innocenti model. As you know the Japanese are as crazy about Minis as we are in really love customizing them and making them retro and unique.

As to what was available in Japan MPI / SPI, I think all years of Minis were always available in Japan up to the end in 2000 - many privately imported throughout the 1970s and 80s.   It just became more of a formal import effort when Rover made extra efforts to add air conditioning to the cars in the 90s. The advent of air-conditioning in Minis was really done to cater to the needs of the Japanese market.

Somewhere I have a 1990s book from the "305 Club" in Japan. (305 referring to the Mini being 3.05 meters long).  It has a lot of historical photos showing the Japanese embraced the Mini way back starting in the early 60s and raced and loved them since  early days.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The Japanese spec Minis of the 1990's were always SPI.  However, when the MPI came out in Europe , the Japanese spec Minis got the MPI block but remained SPI intake.  They also retained the side mount radiator to allow for the a/c.

I don't recall an engine bay view of the Indonesian Mini to tell about the a/c.  I did see a accessory fan clipped to the dash in front of the driver and thought that might be what the narrator was referring to as a/c.

I'll have to watch that video again to see.

Edit: Watching it again, there is an under-dash unit of some sort where the heater would normally be.  There is not enough of an engine bay view to see the other a/c components.  I do like how she uses a panel board to make a picnic table arrangement in the open boot.

BruceK

Thanks Michael.  I didn't know that about Japanese market Minis.  Now I understand what Dave was referring to.

On the Indonesian car did you see the little diorama the owner set up on the rear parcel shelf?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I did see the diorama.  I thought it was a nice touch.

94touring

Crew of 4 coming back from Europe today and the captains retirement flight.  I recorded the water cannon salute.

94touring

BruceK

That looks cool with all the light reflections too. Nice that his retirement is being recognized like that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

That must have taken a lot of work! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Much racing entertainment to be found below.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The Rich Rebuilds channel on YouTube, which has focused a lot on Rich learning how to deal with wrecked Teslas (and Tesla corporate) has now changed focus and Rich is looking at a classic Mini.  Kinda funny to get a non-Mini person's take on things (apparently the doors on classic Minis are quite thin – amazing!  ;D ).

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

It even has the Weber carb!  I noticed he did not use the choke when they actually got it to start - probably not used to a manual choke.

It did act as though the carb had been re-jetted for the engine as it ran smoother than the Mini Van I had that came with a Weber installed (the one I changed back to an SU carb).

MiniDave

I wonder if that's an aluminum head or just painted silver?

It's also a Hydro car, and it's still "up" after sitting since 2012....for some reason I thought only the S had hydro. must be wrong....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

LOL did two blocks and a u turn over and over. didn't get above 25 mph. didn't take a corner at 50. missed all the fun.

MiniDave

I didn't see him get out of 2nd gear  lol.

Car's not registered or insured, so he stayed very close to home.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad