Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 04, 2020, 06:04:59 PM
I wonder if that's an aluminum head or just painted silver?

It's also a Hydro car, and it's still "up" after sitting since 2012....for some reason I thought only the S had hydro. must be wrong....

All Mini saloons had hydrolastic during its run.  It was a big selling point - whether they were a plain Mini 850 or a Mini Cooper, or a Cooper S (or an Elf or Hornet too). But hydrolastic was never fitted to the long wheelbases (estates, Vans, Pickups), or Mokes.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Did you hear in the short F2 clip where he called out LeClerc and Giovanazzi's names?

I prefer clips like these to seeing them wreck!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on October 27, 2020, 06:31:29 AM
Some fun watching.

Definitely a couple of stained britches moments.

BruceK

I posted elsewhere on the site about a full-size version of a model like this which just sold on BaT. 

But this one is more table-sized.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Holy crap that's well done!  I wonder if the £66,000 it sold for even comes close to what it cost to build that?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Rather than muck up other thread.

This is the Kyle Carpenter superbowl Ad. 

This is Kyles Instragram, he explains it was 30 degrees out when he filmed the commercial.  If you look close you can see him shaking from the cold. All the scenes with Kyle are filmed in Sylva NC in Jackson County where I used to have a house.  Pretty cool to see that town featured.

https://www.instagram.com/chiksdigscars/

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

Here's a video that clearly explains how rotary engines work. In short, they get spinning really, really fast until the rotor just disappears and magic takes over.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

We've all seen those terrible Matthew McConnahey Lincoln ads, here's a better one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

We may not like serving our robot overlords, but at least it will be entertaining watching them dance on our graves.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I could see a whole army of these rooting out terrorists, or going after murderers.....

But I was mostly impressed with how far Boston Dynamics has come with these and with Spot, the robot dog.

Hyundai must have thought it was worthwhile too, since they bought the company recently.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 29, 2020, 09:11:39 PM
I could see a whole army of these rooting out terrorists, or going after murderers.....

Oh, you think they will be used for good on our side?   Just as likely they could be used against us, or against anyone for that matter.  The targets don't have to be 'bad guys' like terrorists or murderers.  After all, China, for example, is developing 'super soldiers'.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/china-has-done-human-testing-create-biologically-enhanced-super-soldiers-n1249914

Sure, these are humans and not robots at all.  But it illustrates the push for new tech to be used for military purposes.  Same as it always was. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

Cool video, it's pretty amazing what they can program a machine to do these days.

As to Bruce's comment, I'd say it's probably very likely to be used against us at some point in time. One only needs to look at the draconian measures taken in the hard lock down states with this power grab virus thing. People are arrested and jailed for things like tying to open their businesses so they can do such terrible things like feed their families, pay their utilities, etc... all the while those same states are letting people out of prison in droves.

MiniDave

It's all scare-mongering and I'm a little surprised you've fallen for it Bruce.

Big Bad Russia is no longer a threat (they work thru our political and on line systems instead, which to me is far worse.) so the military has to find another bad guy to "save" us from.

I don't buy any of it.

And my comments about rooting out terrorists were tongue in cheek, but I see I forgot the smiley at the end of my sentence, my bad.

Although it's clear that these could certainly be outfitted with guns or bombs and they'd be hard to stop.

I do wonder what Hyundai was looking for when they bought Boston Dynamics tho, and why our staunch 'mrica First, wall building, evangelical Christian Republican senators would allow a  foreign company to buy a US defense contractor......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Let me remind everyone keep the politics off my forum. I let the covid thread go on for too long and will just start deleting full threads to save myself the time of weeding through comments.  Things acceptable to discuss would be cars, hot women, alcohol, hot women, and man stuff like motor oil.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2020, 09:50:55 AM

...Things acceptable to discuss would be cars, hot women, alcohol, hot women, and man stuff like motor oil.

Okie dokie.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

cstudep

Hyundai has always been pretty big into the tech side of things so it's not too surprising they would be interested in the robotics side of things. Japan would have been another likely suitor but they have been pretty independent in that area for quite some time already.

If I had to guess I would say they are probably looking at even more automation in the auto building industry. These types of robots could potentially be direct replacements for some of the things they still currently have humans performing that the current robotics just can't yet do.

The auto industry is already fairly well automated but these types of robots could potentially make it nearly 100% automated. I would guess the cost is still pretty high at this point, but they have to be getting a lot closer it becoming cost effective. They also have pretty ambitious plans for the driverless car market which I am sure plays into it as well.

MiniDave

What I'm curious about is whether Boston Dynamics will continue as an entity in the US, and whether they will carry on with developing android like robots? They have decided to go ahead and sell the Spot dog-like robots to the general public now - which is a reversal of their previous policy of only selling to military and police units.....

They have always had a unique perspective on their robot development, not going down the usual road of robot assemblers, self guided rolling carts and such and developing anthropomorphic robots, mostly under DARPA grants. So is Hyundai going to get access to all that technology or are they heading off into a new direction?

Tech - not political, Dan.

Maybe a hot girl robot is next?   ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Yeah that will be interesting to see how it pans out, I am not all that familiar with Boston Dynamics short of they do all the cool "real" robot stuff, so can't provide much input there. I would have to assume all the stuff they have learned over the years as far as the autonomous stuff goes would port over pretty well into the autonomous driving arena. For a figure north of 1 billion dollars I would have to assume Hyundai expects to get access to at least most of that but who knows.

Hot girl robots might be cool....