Found a U.S. 10" tire source

Started by 94touring, January 30, 2018, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

My week of tire research has come to an end and purchase.  Merlin/Justin told me of a company called American Racer that carries 10s.  Went to their website and didn't have much luck but found what I was looking for on their catalog.  They have a vintage mini tire #70281 that's a "race" tire in one of the harder compounds for asphault thats 18.6 in diameter 6 inches wide by 10 inches.  Similar to the dunlop miglia tires that cost $200 each! These were $71.90 each. Also weigh in at 10.5lbs vs 11.7 for 008's.  Pic of the tread pattern as well.

Willie_B

BruceK

That is the most generic tread pattern I have ever seen!   ;D

So is a harder race compound tire sort of like like a soft road tire compound?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

They also explicitly state "illegal for street or highway use".

Coupled with that very generic tread pattern, I would be cautious about using them on a street car.

At least the Yoko A008's are a DOT street tire.

Do you have a local distributor for them?  Otherwise, you still have a shipping cost to add in. 

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Bruce, I would imagine so.  Maybe comparable to a032r in compound?

Michael, not really concerned with legalities.  If it's good enough to thrash on a track I'm sure a spirited drive in the country will do just fine.  Have no plans to drive in a monsoon and wouldn't sue if I blew out a tire and crashed accidently.

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on January 30, 2018, 11:35:20 AM
Who makes them?

American Racer.  I called the Texas distributor to place the order.

94touring

They called back with the shipping cost.  $67 in 2 boxes of 2, three day delivery.

Edit: quote on 4 yokos from the UK to my door was $82 from minispares

MiniDave

Do you have a shop nearby that can M&B them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm sure I can find someone.  Also speaking with Force Racing on their wheels, they are apparantly easier to mount 10s.  Something to do with lip thicknesses I believe.  I know where I have taken 10s to get balanced.  In fact I think they mounted 10s for Vikram.

Willie_B

For M&B check with any shops that work on the larger side by side ATV's.

94touring

That's a good idea as well  77.gif

Vikram

Quote from: 94touring on January 30, 2018, 12:48:34 PM
I'm sure I can find someone.  Also speaking with Force Racing on their wheels, they are apparantly easier to mount 10s.  Something to do with lip thicknesses I believe.  I know where I have taken 10s to get balanced.  In fact I think they mounted 10s for Vikram.

Yup, pep boys

94touring

I thought it was Robertson tire? Pep boys is clear in Tulsa unless Bartlesville has one I don't know about  8.gif

Vikram

Sorry, I got my names mixed up! It was Tate Boys in Bartlesville. I remember it cost next to nothing for all 4

94touring

That's the one.  I know where it is but never rememebr names.

Jims5543

Every once in a while I would toss my full slicks on my 550HP RX-7 and go out and terrorize the locals on the roads.   ;D

When we had an Autocross in town I would put the slicks on the night before and drive to and from the event on them. 

One event, it started to rain, I had to drive back about 10 miles in the rain on full on slicks.

I have Autocrossed in the rain on these slicks and they would aquaplane a little but nothing crazy so I thought I would be good to go.

I was soooooo wrong... seems certain roads were worse than others, I never really grasped what was causing the big problems, something to do with the pitch.

Some roads it was like being at the AX others, you may as well have put me on ice with the slicks. I could barely go 20 MPH.

That was the last time I drove to an event on the slicks but NOT the last time I strapped them on for some sunny day fun on the streets.

I was an Urban Outlaw long before Magnus Walker dreamed it up.   ;D

http://www.urbanoutlawshop.com/
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

When you head to the Tail of the Dragon if you look around the parking lot at the Dragons Lair (Gas Station) you will see some pretty sweet street machines parked around. I was always tempted to bring some fun tires up there with me, the 700 mile road trip to get there was prohibitive. I toyed with packing my AX rims and tires in the back of the car and changing to them when I got there but never did.

I remember looking at some nice S2000's in the lot, we saw them on the Dragon and they were flying. I looked down at their tires and they were running Kumho Victoracers, technically a DOT tire but most say that while trying to hold back laughter.

I used to run my Victo's as street tires on my RX7 until I got tired of replacing them every 3K miles.  They did fine in the rain and on wet roads, Dan you will be fine with those tires you are getting especially if you do not plan on driving on them much.

Victoracer threads these are brand new and not shaved either.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Just so everyone knows this will be on a weekend warrior toy.  Long trips will likely end up tossing on standard wheels and tires.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on January 31, 2018, 06:37:07 PM
Just so everyone knows this will be on a weekend warrior toy.  Long trips will likely end up tossing on standard wheels and tires.

You are going to die.

94touring

Lol!  I'm half tempted to go slicks on the rx7.  I get no traction through 3rd as is.

MiniDave

According to Guessworks chart, you should be turning about 4500 @70 mph

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Tires came in.  The G pattern was a bit misleading but they have grooves regardless.  Rubber is definetly soft, about how I recall the a032s.  Has the 70281 painted on the tire but also goes by j13yl.  Weight on the kitchen scale is 10.8lbs.  Edit:  kitchen scale was kind of hard to get an accurate reading due to size of tire vs scale.  Ended up putting all 4 on a bathroom scale, both by themselves and with tires on each arm lol.  Got an average of 10.35lbs after many weighing attempts and variations.