wet blasting

Started by 94touring, April 15, 2016, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

It looks like that blaster works well.   If you were able to clear that much in just a few minutes, it should make things a bit easier.  I am guessing if you breezed through the resprayed panel with it then hopefully the thicker stuff in the boot shouldn't be to bad to deal with.

94touring

The thicker stuff actually comes off easier. 

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on May 15, 2016, 06:49:03 PM
The thicker stuff actually comes off easier.

I am guessing more to grab on to for the media, ironically this can work out well in real life too. IfyouknowwhatImean.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Lowe's carries 50lb bags of fine sand that doesn't need filtered so that is a big time saver.  At 4.70 a bag it beats 10 bucks for something like blacl diamond or crushed glass.  Made a booth to capture media but it really didn't work too well.  Tomorrow will attempt to get hooks installed to hang a tarp.  I did the engine bay, inner wings, windscreen, and one side with 250lbs of sand. 

John Gervais

Are you able to re-use the sand?
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

What do you drive that can haul 250lbs or sand or more? I'm tellin you, you need a pickup truck!   ;D ;D ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I could reuse the sand but honestly it's not worth the hassle.

Pax seat out of the mini!  Instant work vehicle.

94touring

Rain gear, runber boots, and face shield are required.  Based on what I've done so far I'd say 1500lbs of media will do every nook and cranny.  Also bought this same sand the other day and it didn't require sifting but every one  of these bags had  to be sifted.  Good news is the blast nozzle can take large media, so a kitchen collender with larger openings was quick and fairly painless.  Lowes was out of the extra fine sand. 

The tarp worked great but I need an outdoor pad to do this without all the mess.  Also a pic of rust iinhibitor tthat does the trick.

MiniGene

Man, that set up looks handy.  Let's see it in action on some wheels!

94touring

I'll hit the clubby wheels next chance I get.

94touring

Quick update to how to prevent flash rust.  After you spray this phosphoric acid (diluted 3:1), you let it sit 15-30 minutes, rinse off, then immediately dry.  If you don't dry it will get rust looking streaks.  The end product after drying will have a bluish to blackish to grey coloring.  You may also note some white powder type coating, which is a byproduct of the acid doing its work.  I would recommend a quick scotch bright scuff and metal prep/rubbing alcohol  just prior to sealer primer.

Jims5543

My BIL works for a water blasting company, they blast paint off concrete minus the media, it is insane.  They can also cut steel too, with water....

Paint Removal:

Cutting Steel

Can you imagine how much water pressure their machines make?

I am sure he could wipe the paint off a car like it was nothing.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

It would probably bend a mini in half!

MiniDave

Nah, it would just blow holes in it like tissue paper!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

My neighbor works for an environmental company that also pressure washes industrial tanks and such. He brought a pressure washer home the other day that could cut through steel. Crazy
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Jims5543

Quote from: Dmulder on May 26, 2016, 04:53:17 AM
My neighbor works for an environmental company that also pressure washes industrial tanks and such. He brought a pressure washer home the other day that could cut through steel. Crazy

Yup, that is what my BIL does too, in that one steel pic you can see they opened up a silo to clean it out.

They work for the Sugar Farmers a lot in the middle of the state.  His is an effing machine my BIL. They were supposed to be at this school in Tampa for 3 weeks straight, no days off, including this weekend.

He rallied the crew and they worked from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. all week, they are 5 days ahead of schedule.  He then approached the owner, reported they are 5 days ahead and would like to take the holiday weekend off. They are all heading home this evening and going back Tuesday morning.

He used to work for me, he is the reason I am in a hole right now, I tried like hell to keep him when the market crashed.  He was and will always be the best employee I ever had.

94touring

Contacted an abrasive company locally to get my fine sand pricing to a tolerable level.  Can get 3400 pounds for $160.  To compare, that much fine sand from lowes would be $390.

MiniDave

Delivered? Where will you store it so that it stays dry?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Delivered...Justin lol.

I'll probably just stick the palet in the corner of the shop via gantry.  The rx7 might be moving to the carport.

MiniDave

Oh, it's bagged, not bulk? That's a good deal then.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

42 80lb bags at a time!  Save a dollar a bag buying by the palet.  Considering how much sand it takes to do an entire car, a palet a time is ideal.

MPlayle

Won't that make for a lot of used sand all over the shop floor?

Beach volleyball anyone?

94touring

I'll be doing it outside.  I tarp off a section in the garage opening for now.

John Gervais

Eventually, you'll have a big pile o'sand.  Not that the local cats will see a huge litterbox, but I'd be tempted to try sifting it and re-using it.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

My yard will be fine with sand.  I have a country lot with a depression that collects water.  Never will I be out there sifting 2000lbs of sand.  This much I can tell you.