5/16-18 Time Sert Kit

Started by MiniDave, August 09, 2017, 12:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Anyone have one I can borrow? I need to fix one hole - on a shift knob - and I don't want to spend $65 to buy a whole kit for one damn insert.

I could also use a Keen Sert I think.....

The problem is I screwed up and used a 5/16-24 heli-coil, so now I need to go way oversize to correct my mistake.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Never mind, I was able to fix it with a Heli-coil after all.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Maybe I'm stupid. What is a time sert kit.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

It's a way to repair bad threads, you drill the hole oversize, then rethread the hole and thread in a coil that brings the threads back to the original size.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Sorry, I posted a Heli-Coil video.

This is a Time Sert, same idea slightly different construction.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Never heard of it but looks like a super process for repair.  4.gif

MiniDave

I've never had one that a heli-coil couldn't fix, but if you have a hole that's really wallowed out a Time Sert might be the only way to fix it unless you weld it up and start all over again. In a lot of cases you can't do that, so it's a legit repair.

The kits are fairly expensive compared to a heli-coil kit, and one size only covers one size hole, you need a completely different kit for any other sized hole........then you have the extra step of machining the shoulder too...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

There also is a thing called TwinSert (a heli-coil within a helicoil) for those cases where the hole is bigger than a single heli-coil will fix. Fairly common in turbinbe engine repair.