73 Innocenti

Started by 94touring, July 09, 2009, 08:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Well here she is after a nice drive back from Jersey.  This car is another one of those super super easy projects that doesn't really need much, other than a better paint job.  The body and floors are super solid.  There is one rust bubble on the whole car on the left wing by the windscreen scuttle.  No dents on the car at all, only 2 minor scratches.  One scratch is maybe a half inch long.  The chrome pieces are just about brand new.  The paint isn't half bad really, but has a fair amount of orange peel.  I bet it would probably color sand out.  Interior is just dusty from sitting in a garage for a lengthy period of time.  It starts up a little sluggish on a half dead battery, and needs a tune up.  Shifts good.  The brakes are mega soft and probably need bled after sitting for a long time.  Has disc brakes though.  He mentioned not all the gauges work but I saw most of them doing something in there, so I gotta inspect more when I get some rest.  The turn signals for the steering column were in the trunk, not sure whats going on there yet.  The paint color is a really deep green, looks black at certain angles, and almost blue in others.  Has new tires as well and the wheels are in good shape.  I'll fix the one rust bubble and respray the car and she'll be good as gold after a little tuning.     

batman1usa

;D  Dang Neo you should make a business outta this mini refurb thing......  It's like the force is with you finding these cars to rebuild.  I'd like to see how you could do with something a little more challenging ...   8) 
  This would look super cool with my black 10" wheels on it..  Maybe?

Looking Good

JD

94touring

My pickup is the challenging one.  ;D   Hey if you buy this one I'll trade wheels and take some off the price.  ;) 

Just got done messing with the car a little and the challenge is clearing going to be the electrical system.  Its a total mess.  I did get all the gauges to work, with the exception of the speedo, which is missing a cable, so problem solved there I guess.  Temp gauge reads high but I doubt it really does, so need to investigate that some more.  Reset the timing and got it running 10x better, but went to adjust the fuel to tweak it some more and the float bowl started leaking fuel.  Need to take the carb off and rebuild it too now.  Turned the headlight switch on and one single turn indicator marker turned on, so that should be fun to figure out.  Briefly looked over the turn signal parts in the trunk and hoping it all goes back in there and works.  The exhaust is a straight pipe the whole way back and I'm pretty certain its broken under the firewall somewhere, as it was louder than hell up there when driving it around the block while tuning.  Still gotta bleed the brakes.  

el_campede

NJ - not fair.  I love the Innocenti dash.  Wana trade for a Traveller project???  ;D

batman1usa

I'm kinda partial to the center binnacle with lots of space to throw stuff.  Oh and 10" wheels.   ;D  Oh and I don't care for he side markers on the front fenders.   8)  but that's just me.  :-X  Oh and RHD would be fun.  :-\

94touring

Quote from: el_campede on July 10, 2009, 09:14:51 AM
NJ - not fair.  I love the Innocenti dash.  Wana trade for a Traveller project???  ;D

Haha, no, but you can pay me to do the body work on the traveller! 

el_campede

Quote from: 94touring on July 10, 2009, 01:28:16 PM
Haha, no, but you can pay me to do the body work on the traveller! 

HMMMMMM  ???

batman1usa

???  I think I hear some gears turning   :-\

94touring

Well today messed with electrical nightmares.  Its almost as if someone tried to mess up as many wires as possible as some kind of sick prank.  I did get the headlights and rear lights working.  The turn signals are still a mystery and the stalk on the column only has dangling wires there, so looks like I need some parts to make that work.  Wipers work now though and I did get one of the wires to make the signal solonoid click on and off, which also made the wipers move for some reason.  Wierd. 

Took the carb off and cleaned it up.  Turns out there is a part broken along the jet which was causing the fuel leak.  Found the exhaust leak, which was a rusted out hole where it connects to the manifold.  Also bled the brakes, but they were actually fine.  Having another issue with pedal travel or the master itself.     

Minicop

Quote from: 94touring on July 11, 2009, 12:02:35 PM
Well today messed with electrical nightmares.  Its almost as if someone tried to mess up as many wires as possible as some kind of sick prank.       

Ohh, that would be me. ;D I went back to the states and wanted to have some fun making your next project a bit more challenging.  :D

94touring

Just ordered the brake master rebuild kit, carb rebuilt kit, and a couple other odds and ends I needed for it.  Maybe I'll start prepping for paint this coming week. 

Minicop

Quote from: 94touring on July 18, 2009, 01:28:09 PM
 Maybe I'll start prepping for paint this coming week.  

Just think...Dreamsicle ;)

I'm relentless aren't I? :D

94touring

No dreamsicle!  This one stays green or black as per my buddy Jim if he decides to buy it.  Kinda holding off to paint it till I find out if he wants it.  Plus I gotta wait for my parts to get here so I can finish fixing all the bugs.  The paint job will take a couple days.  I'll probably spend more time clearing space at my folks garage to have a spot to paint this one than the actual work will take. 

Minicop

Ok, the next one then. Hehehe.  ;D

94touring

Put the new exhaust on today.  All new pipes and mufflers from the manifold back.  Should sound a lot better without all the major exhaust leaks now.  Plus the old exhaust was WAY too big of piping for the 998.  Expecting a better powerband now as well.  Still waiting for my carb rebuild kit and brake master kit to arrive. 

Quote from: Minicop on July 19, 2009, 04:24:25 AM

I'm thinking dreamsicle with a batman logo on each door and the bonnet....... ;)

94touring

Ok I have a small update...my parts are still on backorder.  Kinda hard for me to get anything done like this.  Wheels for the 77 are in the same order as well, and my interior is almost done. 

Minicop

Quote from: 481 on July 31, 2009, 08:35:36 AM
Quote from: Minicop on July 19, 2009, 04:24:25 AM

I'm thinking dreamsicle with a batman logo on each door and the bonnet....... ;)

:D Yeah! Hey Batty!!!! Get in on this! ;D

batman1usa

??? I'm sayin no to dreamsicle.  Maybe a tourquoise green  :-\  No Batman logo, must conceal my identity.

Minicop

Quote from: batman1usa on August 27, 2009, 05:17:41 AM
??? I'm sayin no to dreamsicle.  Maybe a tourquoise green  :-\  No Batman logo, must conceal my identity.

Hey Batman!!! There you are. It's been a while. ahhhh man! No dreamsicle? :'( You can get more hot chicks with your identity exposed. ;D

batman1usa

;D  Oh I'm here.  Don't need any hot chicks I have a hot wife that gets it done for me  :o  Anyway, Red mini's are about the hottest around that I've seen.

Minicop

Quote from: batman1usa on August 28, 2009, 01:27:08 PM
;D  Oh I'm here.  Don't need any hot chicks I have a hot wife that gets it done for me  :o  Anyway, Red mini's are about the hottest around that I've seen.

:D Right on, haha. My Mini is red, goes with my personality! ;D

94touring

Got the carb rebuilt today.  Had to take the starter off and clean up the bendix to get it to engage.  All better now.  Exhaust sounds a zillion times better.  Only problem was I ruined the throttle cable trying to get it hooked back up, so will see if I can use a bike cable to remedy the problem.  Did fire it up and rev it for awhile though.  Tomorrow will see about rebuilding the brake master. 

94touring

Got me a bike cable for 5 bucks, worked great.  Changed plugs and tuned a little, driving nicely now.  Clutch pedal is very stiff though, anyone have any idea why?

94touring

Well....lubed up the rusty clutch arm and got the pedal to soften up a little.  Drove it a bit to see if I could figure out why the temp gauge has been reading hot.  Thought maybe with the quirky electricals it was something related to that, but no.  Took the rad cap off and ran it a bit to verify any exhaust bubling into the coolant, and of course there was visible exhaust coming out of the rad.  So took the valve cover off and nothing but milk.  Tore everythign off the head and began to take off the head bolts.  Interestingly enough two of the head bolts on the back row, between #2 and #3 cylinders were not torqued to specs.  In fact the one was so loose I could have taken it off with my fingers.  I contemplated retorqing and putting everything back on, but figured I had gone this far might as well do it right and inspect things.  Sure enough between 2 and 3 it was blowing by and into the coolant.  1 and 4 were nice and dry.  Aside from that the cylinders and valves all looked good.  Car actually didn't run half bad, didn't really smoke, but explains why it felt slightly underpowered.  So....time to order a couple gaskets and put it back together again.