Apparently locked out of MM

Started by MPlayle, February 21, 2016, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I seem to have been locked out from posting on Mini Mania sometime overnight.  The only thread I have been posting on there has been the Mikuni carb thread as there are only a few that have done that conversion.  I did it on successfully on one of my past Minis and was sharing answers on that thread.

Today I tried to log on to provide an answer and it will not let me log on.  I don't get any message or error, just not getting logged in.  I tried the "forgot password/login" feature and got back the exact login information I had been using and trying.

Is this what it is when "banned" over there?

I've sent a query through their site, but of course will not hear an answer over the weekend.

John Gervais

I can't login either, maybe I'm banned.  I checked my E-mail, but there wasn't anything there from MiniMania other than their V-tec kit advertisments.  If I were banned, I would have thought I'd have gotten some sort of 'red flag' or notification that I wasn't welcome there.

Their website has been really messed up on many levels for quite a while now, so who knows.
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Good to know I am not the only one.  I was concerned because there are other "regular" frequent posters putting up fresh replies and I could not log in.

I did not get any notice from MM to believe I had done anything to be banned.  I have refrained from contributing over there due to the troll with the Mikuni carb thread being the only exception.

Willie_B

Something wonky with their system me thinks. I don't show logged in but my avatar shows up at the top. When I post to a thread half the time it want me to login. I I try to "Quote" the post then I cannot login at all, just get error message even thou I am already logged in???

John Gervais

Guess we just have to come here then...   ::)
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

MPlayle

I much prefer coming here.   19.gif

Although, being one of the few that has actually done the Mikuni carb conversion and  the current person investigating has been asking serious questions that I have some of the answers for, I figured it would be the right thing to do and share what I know.

Back when the Racine's were trying one on their race Minis, they could not be bothered with sharing any information with those that asked.  They would not even give any follow up to their own posting showing off they were trying one.

MiniDave

So, invite those people over here and we all can learn from the conversation?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Nah. You'll know when you've been banned. Trust me. haha.

John Gervais

Quote from: MPlayle on February 21, 2016, 08:14:54 PM
I much prefer coming here.   19.gif

Back when the Racine's were trying one on their race Minis, they could not be bothered with sharing any information with those that asked.  They would not even give any follow up to their own posting showing off they were trying one.

Gee, that sounds pretty selfish -
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

It did seem a bit "selfish" of the Racines at the time.  They made a big "look what we are doing" post, then nothing when others asked for more info.  A few others were brave enough to try on their own and I followed their lead.  I think most all of the infor is in that one thread.  I did have some off-list conversations with one of the others that did the conversion as I was doing mine.

I'll see what transpires on getting back on there to finish my contribution.

MiniDave

Every once in a while I go to MM to see something someone here has referenced in a thread, today the forum works, but only on page one, when you go to page two nothing's there?

Anyone else have this issue with MM today?

Edit: That was on IE, on Firefox you can see the list of topics on page 2 and further, but when you click on one only the heading opens, nothing else.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I get the same thing with FireFox (45.0) and Safari.  I very rarely look at pages beyond the first - just track what is currently discussed.

If you do a "search" for a thread title on one of the later pages and select the thread title in the search results, it comes up fine.

Past experience with issues on MM and attempts to discuss with their web designer (Dennis Racine) have more often than not proven to be fruitless.  He seems to design just for the latest Windows environment and appears to do absolutely no cross compatibility testing.

(In the past he has declared to me that he does not design to support Apple products or third party browsers.)

MiniDave

It does the same thing on Internet Explorer......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Well, I was trying to be "polite" about my experiences with the MM forum over the past 20 years.

It basically seems to be Dennis's "testing ground" for new features and software.  Almost like that is where he is teaching himself to be a web designer.

Almost every "upgrade" ever implemented there ends up with major "fubar"s that often take weeks to months to be found and fixed even when folks on that forum complain both on the forum and directly.  It was almost a month before the "Cars For Sale" section got mostly fixed from this last "upgrade".

More of the reasons people have been gradually dropping off that forum.  The fact that it has been around so long is mostly due to the depth of knowledge that is/was there because it was one of the few places to share Mini knowledge way back when.  Lots of better forums (such as this one) have since developed.  Far fewer of the non-US knowledgeable Mini gurus are on MM than used to be.  Those still active with Minis seem to be on other forums.

94touring

Yeah we all know mm sucks.  I finally don't have to refresh my page from my galaxy to get it to load but the cars for sale format is no longer working.  I think they're slowly going to die.  Wouldn't be surprised to see mm sold off or liquidated after the racine clan are too old to play with their minis.  It's really just the middle man for minispares anyways. 

MtyMous

Yeah. It's pretty much a MiniSpares Licensing warehouse.

Their links insert a  :/ face into all the links on their website and it breaks the link.

I've been saying the same thing for a long time about that place. They will die off and many of the old crusties will die off. Sadly, much of the knowledge will leave with them.

That's ok with me though. We can build the knowledge here. I'll gladly become one of the old crusties for the sake of the cause. Just don't let me become a total dick like some of those guys over there. Deal? haha

MPlayle

John Gervais

Looks like MM is set to implode -
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I haven't been keeping up over there, what's new?

John Gervais

The usual crap, bannings, imposters etc.  Typically bunched panties and such.
- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

I logged in yesterday night just to see what was new. Then I logged out because it's the same turd over there doing the same thing. I just hope people wise up and move over here.

I make a post every now and then if I feel like I can help out, but I'm usually wrong over there even when I'm right. haha.

MtyMous

Aaaaand that's what I get for trying to stay the hell out of it. I've been working 70hr weeks and out of town for work when I wasn't doing that, yet somehow my name has been dropped into the pool of potential people who are Robster. What the actual hell. I've received 2 emails asking me if I'm robster, and 1 accusing me. I don't care to give out these people's names because it's obvious they aren't the ones that are spreading that I'm the one. But WTF?! I haven't even been in any of that asshat's threads, and I haven't posted anything negative against MM over there.

I sent an email to Jemal (even though it pains me to even ask, as we aren't exactly friends) asking that he vouch for me NOT being that idiot. I asked him not to post my IP address, as I don't want the whole world to know where I live, but he has the ability to clear my name by comparing the IP addresses.

If there is any doubt, I'm not robster or any of the assholes that think it's funny to spread shitty advice. I don't want to be one of them, and I don't want to be liable when someone dies from those idiot's intentionally bad advice.

Rant over, but I'm pissed that I'm even getting considered for this bullshit.

John Gervais

Yeah, I don't get it.  The site used to be 'harmonious', even though there were always some problems.  When MM starts protecting and defending f*cktards, then somethings really screwed up.

Glad to know you're not one of them. 77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

I would almost swear the Racines never actually check their forum anymore.  They used to not put up with the nonsense going on and false accusations.  As I've stated before, it seems they now spend most of their time racing and leave the business to Jemal's whims.