Apparently locked out of MM

Started by MPlayle, February 21, 2016, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Just reading a thread on starters on MM, and someone linked a YouTube video on how to remove the flywheel - SO much wrong in that video......it was interesting to me because the reason the engine was out of the car was that he was having oil pressure and bearing problems in his freshly rebuilt engine......

This is one of the things I try to teach my students - they think any job you want to learn how to do you just got to YouTube and follow along......but I keep telling them, there's nothing that says the guy in the vid knows what he's doing. Far better to either read the factory manual, or learn from someone who DOES know what they're doing.

I'm thinking this Robster or whatever he calls himself is one of these young guys who's convinced you learn how to fix cars off You Tube. I'm not saying there aren't competent people on You Tube, but I've seen a lot of incorrect to downright scary stuff on there, and if you don't know or haven't been taught, how do you know the difference?

Oh, and the thing that caught my attention was a discussion on the jam/locknut on the end of the clutch shaft - one of the commenters said it's OK to just run without it. Wrong! That's there for a reason -  if properly adjusted it keeps you from putting undue pressure on your thrust bearings and wearing them out prematurely.  Without it, your clutch slave can just shove against the flywheel pushing the crankshaft hard against the thrust washers.

Sorry, now back to your regular MM bashing thread....   ;D

OH BTW, Jemal is in one of their videos- the one where he's re-doing a rear subframe - it was interesting to hear his voice and see what he looked like.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Jemal sure is good at insulting potential customers. 

John Gervais

There's a new f*cktard (elliser) poster on MM who posted IP addresses on a bunch of random old threads as 'what he's interested in'.  I don't know how anyone could get someone's IP address from the MM website, nor if the IP addresses appear differently to different readers on different computers. 

I say this because the IP addresses. as viewed from my screen, are all the same.
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

They are all the same when I viewed the threads.  They appear to be a "local" IP address such as behind a home router.

MtyMous

They are all local IP's (i.e. nothing that would reveal an ISP or a location) but each one has a link to some random website about routers or internal IP addresses. I opened them all and they don't do anything. I opened them in a quarantined environment and didn't find anything malicious, but I still wouldn't recommend opening them. lol

Not sure what that was all about anyway. And I still haven't heard back from Jemal on clearing my name. No shocker there. He's sort of a one trick pony and doesn't like that I've called him out in the past on his bullshit. Oh well. I seem t have stopped getting accusation emails so I don't really care anymore. Just sit back and watch MM burn as the Racines hold their hands over their eyes and Jemal throws gasoline on the fire.

MiniDave

Well, as weird as those threads are (and I really don't understand the elison thing) the rest of the forum seems to be still functioning along.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Well, what really pisses me off is that those IP addresses are my building's old common internal 20Mb ADSL system's switch's IP address.  It hasn't been used in years.  Who would do such a thing???  What sort of douchebag would try to publicly harm my household?  Why doesn't Don Racine care even just the slightest amount?  (Don could at least post a 'sticky' about respecting his playground...)

How or why it got thrown up on MM is a mystery to me.  We've now got a 1GB (upload & download) fiber installation - much better. 

Anyways, had the Copenhagen Historic Grand Prix this past weekend, had a blast hanging around and helping a couple of classics.  A mustang team from Finland liked my technical abilities enough to invite me to go with them to Spa (to function as a technical advisor beside their mechanic), but I know that Hyacinth wouldn't want me to go and I'm pretty sure that my limited mustang knowledge would become obvious as soon as they needed to depend on me.  Just a tad out of my league.  So, I told them that if I start reading now, I might be ready.  They bought me lunch and we enjoyed the rest of the weekend together.  Nice people, nice genuine Shelby mustang racecar; I wished I was a mechanic...
- Pave the Bay -

tmsmini

John:
Those ip addresses are part of the local private network assigned address blocks. They are used in thousands of home routers, probably closer to a millions. They are not navigable beyond their local network.
Terry

John Gervais

Ah, that's good to know.

I'm still pissed off though...   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

SomethingNew71

Quote from: MiniDave on July 29, 2016, 05:39:02 PM
Just reading a thread on starters on MM, and someone linked a YouTube video on how to remove the flywheel - SO much wrong in that video......it was interesting to me because the reason the engine was out of the car was that he was having oil pressure and bearing problems in his freshly rebuilt engine......

This is one of the things I try to teach my students - they think any job you want to learn how to do you just got to YouTube and follow along......but I keep telling them, there's nothing that says the guy in the vid knows what he's doing. Far better to either read the factory manual, or learn from someone who DOES know what they're doing.

I'm thinking this Robster or whatever he calls himself is one of these young guys who's convinced you learn how to fix cars off You Tube. I'm not saying there aren't competent people on You Tube, but I've seen a lot of incorrect to downright scary stuff on there, and if you don't know or haven't been taught, how do you know the difference?

Oh, and the thing that caught my attention was a discussion on the jam/locknut on the end of the clutch shaft - one of the commenters said it's OK to just run without it. Wrong! That's there for a reason -  if properly adjusted it keeps you from putting undue pressure on your thrust bearings and wearing them out prematurely.  Without it, your clutch slave can just shove against the flywheel pushing the crankshaft hard against the thrust washers.

Sorry, now back to your regular MM bashing thread....   ;D

OH BTW, Jemal is in one of their videos- the one where he's re-doing a rear subframe - it was interesting to hear his voice and see what he looked like.....

Hey MiniDave,

I actually am the guy with that Youtube Channel if you are referring to Classic Mini DIY.  19.gif I am completely open to feedback and definitely welcome it.  I am not an expert by any means though I have been working on the cars for a little while.  If you have some information to help me provide better and more accurate information please share.  4.gif

To clear up the freshly rebuilt oil pressure problems before they are misrepresented, my center oil pickup was faulty(screen welds broke) and allowed some large particulate matter to pass through the pump and then ultimately get wedged in my oil bypass valve.  This caused a sudden and extreme loss in oil pressure which I unfortunately did not notice until it was too late. This then prompted me to pull the motor and replace all the completely trashed bearings, turn my crank, and replace a great deal of other internal parts. 

Anyways have a great day and thanks for the feedback!

Cole
Classic Mini DIY