68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Ok where was I.... ;D  Was just looking at the title and realized I bought this thing over 3 years ago!   Got it from Willie_B I do believe.  I drove the piss out of it till I moved away from Tulsa a couple years back.  Had started doing some things like painted the roof and fixed gutter rust, collected a bunch of panels for it, but life got in the way.  Can't tell you guys how much I can't wait to haul it back to the east coast to really do something with it finally.  Has a 1275cc engine with some long gears that hauled butt.  My original plan was to paint it old english white, or maybe even that new pepper white, have the black roof, 10x6 wheels of some sort, and some red interior.  Has 8.4 disc but will convert down to fit 10's, and still need to buy some floor pans and door skins.  Here's a couple old pics I found in an email from when I purchased it. 

Willie_B

That was a fun truck. As you said, it runs alot better than it looks. Would cruise at 70-75 without problem.

94touring

That was half the fun of driving the thing....since I had all sorts of overspray from the roof, combined with existing rust and bondo cracking off.  Looked horrible, but drove like a raped ape.  I took it to the hardware store a few time to haul lumber.  Had it so loaded down every time I hit a bump in the road the steering got very "mushy".  Just about did wheelies. 

It had developed some pretty good holes in the floor, and I had some of the carpet pulled out for whatever reason.  Had to drive across town after a snow storm to get somewhere, since my other transportation was a rwd race car that couldn't get up the street in snow.  The hole in the floor let snow come blasting in there at high speed, and I kid you not it looked like one of those liquid xmas balls you shake around and the fake snow inside goes everywhere.  That was me driving down the road.  Not snowing outside, but inside the truck was a blizzard and white out conditions.   

Minicop

Bahahaha! Good story.....a raped ape.... hahaha!! :D

94touring

Still tossing and turning about colors in my head.  I was thinking of maybe doing volcano orange, black roof/maybe stripes on the hood, wood and pickup arches and 12x6 deep dish, or go sportpack arches and 13x7 split rims.  I also have a set of ralley lights for the front of the car I totally forgot about.  What do you guys think would be a killer color combo?

94touring

This is an example of volcano orange. 

Willie_B

wood and pickup arches

Step away from the keyboard.

94touring

Oh I know, but the sportpack look is appealing on a pickup for some reason to me.  

94touring

Just hooked the tow bar up to the truck for the trip back on Sunday.  Gave it a good look over to see what I need to do when I begin the restore.  Its going to need floors front to back on both sides, A-panels, one door skin, the new hood I have, random patches and rear corners by the tail lights need redone.  Both fenders and front end are about as rust free as you can get it, I was happy to see that since I couldn't remember if rust had started around the headlights and other spots.  Looked like my gutter repairs and roof I painted years ago held up nicely.  Had a few extra parts in the bed I had totally forgot about as well, which is always a nice surprise.  So looks like the major back breaking work is going to be spent on those floors.       

Hey 94! Do you have an idea what you are going to sell it for (if you are planning to) when you are done with the repairs? My dad mentioned to me the other day that he might want a mini pickup to use as a shop truck. My car draws a lot, I mean A LOT of attention to our store, people are always dropping in and asking about it and it usually leads to a few sales. I think that he wants something he can throw our logo onto the side and use it for promotional stuff/parts running/shop errands, you know. So basically I need to give him an idea of what a decent one would cost.

94touring

This truck won't be for sale unless I get some crazy offer.  Like big time money, lol.  Or if I really really need money. 

I understand. ;) I'm the same way with my car, people ask me all the time how much I want for it. My response EVERY time is "How much do you have?"  ;D

94touring

Yeah the pickup is my favorite mini.  Eventually I'll keep a sedan for myself again too.  I owned the MPI I just sold for the past 7 years or more. 

94touring

Here she is after the trip back, beaten and defeated lol. 

batman1usa

;D Just happen to have a fender, headlight, front window, and a nice black set of 10" wheels with 007 tires that would look good on that truck. 

With your knowledge and my parts WE could have a nice looking truck to share.  I could have it for 6 months and you could have it for 6 months.

;D  ;D  ;D

oh and a master cylinder and front grill also.  And a black bumper.  WOW sounds like I have a parts house..

8)

94touring

Haha, I think those are negotiating parts for the red mini.  I have both wings/fenders, but do you have a brand new front end?  I think when you talk to your bank and they approve the appraisel idea and you buy the red car, when I deliver it would be a good time for me to pick up these parts I need.  ;D 

Batman! You have a black bumper? You wouldn't happen to have a SET of black bumpers do you? If so I am interested  :)

Seems my car is gonna be blacked out. Black car, black grille, black wheels, now for some black bumpers! It's gonna be stealthy. Lol

batman1usa

;D Say it isn't so....  one of them has a split mounting hole and another may be broken off?  I'll pull them out and look them over.

$8500.00  or I'll trade even for a red mini with black stripes
;D

94touring

Batman check your messages. 

LMAO! I think there are a little to many zeros on that price!  ;)

But seriously, look them over and let me know your price. I've spent waaaayyy to much money lately, but I REALLY want some black bumpers.

Minicop

481- Just don't drive it in the dark, or a really cloudy day. Folks will be able to hear it, but not see it coming, haha.

Hayman9644

I was wondering how the pick up faired.  He doesnt look as bad as I thought you had described.  I sure dont envy you on those floorboards though.

94touring

Spent a little bit of time today with the pickup evaluating the floors and deciding what panels to add to my wishlist.  Ripped the rest of the carpet out and decided to add a new cross member to the list of things I need.  Probably easier with it out of my way when putting in the new floors anyways.  Hard to tell right now if the corners of the rear subframe mount panel is solid or not, but looked very dingy back there.  A screw driver didn't poke through, but won't know for sure untill I start disassembling more.   

MiniGene

Are you going to take both subframes off on this one and give it the full treatment?

94touring

Yeah this one is getting the works.  Everything is coming off.  Matter of fact I'm trying to figure out which wire harness is the one I need for the standard 3 gauge pod, so that the electricals hook up properly to the speedo.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I should have a speedo in my box of parts somewhere but planning to go with the magnolia oil, temp, and speedo gauges, so will be buying all new.  Also need to source the pod itself, don't think I have one of those laying around.  All in all I have an enormous list of parts I need or want, so its going to be awhile before its complete.  Slowly but surely.