68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Thought I'd give a test fit with the current panels I have.  Looks like things match up pretty well.

MiniGene

Damn you work fast.  You make me feel like a chump.  Actually I should be able to order some new front sheet metal in a couple of weeks.  What brand/supplier do you recommend.  I want panels that will be the easiest.  I am not against spending more to lessen the hassle when it comes time to fit them on.

Nice work, BTW!  Keep it up and keep putting pics on.  I sooo need to get moving on mine.

94touring

I just about order everything from minisport.  I have a wishlist I'm about to purchase that includes my floor and the inner A-panels and a handful of other parts and its SO much cheaper than ordering from the states.  It was 1.58 to the dollar the other day too. 

If you don't mind spending the extra money get the genuine panels, they should fit with less hassle.  In my case these panels are reproductions.  A few years ago when I redid the wings on my MPI I tried using what I have fitted on my truck in that picture and they just wouldn't line up right, so I used a 2nd set, which I'm pretty certain were knockoffs too.  Since I'm taking all the panels off I have a little more room to play and tweak, but actually for whatever reason they seem to line up really good on my truck.  I think its just hit or miss with panels sometimes. 

Anyways I just popped the right wing off while waiting for some filler to dry on some airplane parts...back to work.     

94touring

joltfreak

Wow!!
you got more done in a week than i did with my other shell in years!! 50.gif
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

:D  Things may come to a drastic hault when I start tearing up floors though. 

94touring

One last thing before I call it a night. 

94touring

94touring

MiniGene

What's your plan of attack for the floors?

94touring

The tunnel is in good shape, and looks like I may only need each end where the rear subby attaches.  So what I planned was do one half of the floor at a time.  That will keep it from flexing and twisting around on me.  I will be buying full length panels with inner cill, then putting the outer cills on at a later date.  The cross member will be replaced too.  Tried getting the rear subby off last night but a few of the bolts are being difficult.  Letting the tail gate hinges soak too, couldn't get them off either.  Once I get the rear subby off I can analyize how bad the attach points are and how rusted up the bed is and its cross member. 

94touring

Well had to drill out the bolts holding the tailgate on.  Also was able to drill out one side attaching the hinges to the bed, but the other side I had no sucess with the drill.  After breaking a few drill bits I decided to cut the bastard out.  Was able to cut a slot in whatever kind of bolt with no head was in there and stick a chisel in there and spin it with the drill, like a big screw driver.  However it wouldn't back out, just spins.  ARG...  50.gif

MPlayle

8.gif  Maybe the captive nut underneath has broken loose allowing it to spin?

94touring

More rust, no surprise really.

MiniGene

Hey, if it were easy, you'd be bored!  I'm getting close to scoring some new metal for my Mini.  Are you still using your HF flux core welder?

94touring

Yeah still using the HF welder.

94touring

Had a little time today to patch up an inner wing and also tear into the rear corner.  I'll be buying a metal brake soon as I'll have lots of fab work to do for this rear end.   

94touring

Anybody want to guess what I'll be fabbing with the metal brake?  Or at least trying to fab up  ;D  This is me practicing to get a feel for it. 

MiniGene

94touring

You got it, plus the bed itself is going to need some big time patch work in areas.  Rather than buying mega expensive truck bed panels and tearing the whole thing up I think I can get a dead match now. 

94touring

Ok, got one section cut out and a piece ready to go in.  Severe rot and then some!  Good news is each end of the bed and some of the cross member I can leave in place.  The middle is really rusted up though. 

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Couldn't stop, so did this much more tonight.  Did I mention metal brakes kick ass?

94touring

Another thing I may be changing out is the bed floor toward the cab, since it was bastadized at some point with a bed from some other kind of truck.  Look at this and note the difference.

MiniGene

Coolio!  What kind of metal brake did you end up getting?