OKC red refurbishment

Started by 94touring, January 05, 2016, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just took delivery of this guy.  Pics to come. 

94touring

Headed off to work in 15 but had time to investigate on the bonnet.  Will order a new lip to mount the chrome and transfer over the frame ends from a scrapped bonnet.  Hood stripe will get painted on. 

MiniDave

Is that Dave Patton's car?

I've been trying to entice him to go on one of our classic runs......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yes it is.  I told him about our drive. 

MtyMous

At this rate, every classic mini in Oklahoma will be a Dan Custom.

94touring

Lol, yeah there isn't a lack of work available!

94touring

Had some time the past couple days to continue on with this guy.  Keep finding more rust to be repaired. 

MtyMous

How do you get leaves into there?! I don't understand. lol.

Good news is there's a brand new hood there now.

94touring

Ha thanks again for delivering that!

MtyMous

No problemo. Always good to see you guys and I really wanted to see the shop. I would love that place. Wife would hate it. haha. Sorry I couldn't stay longer. We have some stuff to do here before we move out and had an appointment at 1700.

94touring

Yeah sorry I didn't have more time as well.  Busy day for me.  It's definitely a total man pad. 

jeff10049

Dan, I need the safety catch off that hood if you're not using it I see you already cut it off.

Jeff

94touring

Oh it's being put to use on the new hood.  They don't come equipped with the safety latches. 

jeff10049

I wondered about that mine was missing and they are hard to come by, I have a makeshift one I made for now.

94touring

Moving right along today.  I should emphasize the need to mount the door before you weld the skin on.  Small adjustments are sometimes required. 

94touring

jeff10049

I need the part that welds on too, If yours is all of it I'll take it if not thanks for the mini spares link I looked and somehow missed it.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Looking forward to watching this project.

94touring

Dug into the left side and finished a door skin. 

MtyMous

Great day to work on some minis. Open the doors and get to knocking out some panels. Looks like this weekend will be pretty good, too.

Fun watching the progress here. That's a lot of unexpected rust though. Makes me feel good about how little I had on Tink. haha

94touring

Yeah I had the doors open and the music going.  I evidently saved the best for last on the rust repair. 

94touring

Here's looking down into the floor on this side.  Also got to use the drill press and restud this hinge.

94touring

More door step reconstruction. 

94touring

stan360

I just seen the door interior pics from the other day... and I was wondering how to remove that regulator part.  I  think it makes more sense now seeing the door  split open.   Looks like you are trucking along on the this thing Dan.   

I don't think any thought of rust prevention went into the production of classic minis. Is there a way to improve the water drainage out through the bottoms of the doors and  seal up the sills to prevent future rust issues ?  Or is it more up to preventative coatings ?

94touring

Well I put seam sealer between the skin and the frame when I reassemble.  Then I will pour a little sealer primer inside and slosh it around to further seal up any gaps between the skin and the frame.  Otherwise it's up to 3 drain holes to remove water.  On the cills I paint the back sides before welding it back together.  You will see some minis with access holes on the door frames to spray waxoil in.  Not much else you can really do.