OKC red refurbishment

Started by 94touring, January 05, 2016, 11:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just when you think you're done you find more.  Aside from half a dozen minor fixes I found an ouchy in the boot. 

MiniDave

What kind of seam sealer did you use on the roof on Buzz? Was it a liquid or a brush on or.....?

It really is smooth is why I ask......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Negative seam sealer required.  Sealer primer followed by filler primer, sanded, resealed, painted. 

MiniDave

Where the bumper bolts on, is that three layers of metal? Looks like the boot floor, the valence panel and the rear panel all have a lip that join together there....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on February 09, 2016, 12:11:16 PM
Negative seam sealer required.  Sealer primer followed by filler primer, sanded, resealed, painted.

OK, so the last guy did it wrong, cause there was some sort of goop in the gutters.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Correct you have 3 layers of metal.  Which is why I cut out a perfectly fine hinge panel, just so I could remove the middle rusted layer and properly patch it up.

On roof gutters you will typically find cracking and peeling seam sealer.  It's crap.  So I always remove it and seal with primer which not only looks better but should last the life of the paint. 

94touring

Rot free in the rear.  The other areas I fixed are prepped, now to prep this. 

MiniDave

It's so hard to find a stopping point when you get into one of these, you'll be going back to the same color I take it? I hope that's just dirt or glue in the lip of the boot opening.....

Are you painting the roof too?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A respray on the body and a buffing on the roof.  Should pretty much have it done this week. 

94touring

94touring

MiniDave

How's this one coming, got color on it yet?

Oh wait, you mean that's not the primer????????

Is that Stan's white car in the background?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've been in recurrent training this week.  There's two quarts of red paint in my car at the airport ready to go on it though. 

MiniDave

Whew - so that was just the primer after all!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha yeah just experimenting with tints but really need white primer.  Though purple is suppose to give a richer red.

94touring

Got some color on a few things. 

94touring

MiniDave

On the home stretch!

Bet he'll be glad to get the car back again..... 4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hopefully get this roof shined up to match the rest of it now.

MiniDave

If any of the Brit guys see that flag they'll complain, the red stripes are not supposed to be centered on the white....

It should look like this......just sayin......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Never paid enough attention to notice the location of the stripes.  Good to know.

stan360

Looks great....I like the red and blue cars with the union Jack roof......Are the bonnet stripes going back on ?

94touring

Yeah I'll be painting on the stripes next week.  Here's doors on.

MiniDave

Shiny red and rust free!

(for now  ;D)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The roof is a decal that's been on the car for who knows how long fyi.  We talked about me painting them on but as you can imagine it wouldn't be cheap.  Though it sure would look good.