Guess what

Started by 94touring, January 12, 2015, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: Jims5543 on January 14, 2015, 12:47:30 PM
Are you going to Cherokee NC in April? Because if you do, I will definitely go. Might leave Mrs5543 home so I can be alone with you.

UH-oh.......you two need to get a room?   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on January 14, 2015, 02:30:28 PM
Quote from: Jims5543 on January 14, 2015, 12:47:30 PM
Are you going to Cherokee NC in April? Because if you do, I will definitely go. Might leave Mrs5543 home so I can be alone with you.

UH-oh.......you two need to get a room?   ;D

;D  ;D  ;D

We go wayyyy back.  I am trying to remember when we first met up online, maybe 2000?

Very cool get Dan, I like the Blue one better.  Maybe Mini 56 is going to happen after all.

Dan, info here:
http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=688.msg8542#new
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

2000 or 99.  It's been a long time. 

Jims5543

Yup, it was when Martin took over No Pistons. Not sure what the year was. I never crossed paths with you before that in the RX7 world because I kept getting banned from RX7 club. I was more of an FC3S person so I was on Team FC3S. com all the time.

Many fond memories from the NoPistons days though I made a lot of friends on there, some I am still in touch with today like you.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Here is it dusted off.  Needs a major buff job.  Zero rust anywhere to be found though.  Solid car. 

Mudhen

Going to be nice once it's polished up!   4.gif

And I bet the hay spear on that tractor in the background would fit right inside the piping of the rotisserie...hmmmm.....

MtyMous

Already digging this.

94touring

Spent the day putting on a new fuel pump, carb, fuel lines, fuel sender and tank.  It now runs.  The slave cylinders are seized up so will address that another day.  Now that my one day is over, back to work. 

Jims5543

I need to do my sender still, I am waiting until I run the tanks down.  :D

All this work getting in the way. We need to ban work.

94touring

Yes screw work.   I have all new brake cylinders on the way, a brake master, a clutch master, and slave.  Almost road worthy. 

Ps.  Ordered adjustable shocks for the fd.  Planning to send out the lower and upper intake manifolds and throttle body for porting too. 

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 17, 2015, 06:27:02 AM
Yes screw work.   I have all new brake cylinders on the way, a brake master, a clutch master, and slave.  Almost road worthy. 

Ps.  Ordered adjustable shocks for the fd.  Planning to send out the lower and upper intake manifolds and throttle body for porting too.

Hell yes! When I get home I will post a pic of my old throttle body. It was bored out 25% bigger. Made fantastic torque gains down low.

94touring

Eibach springs ordered.   Yes it's a sickness. 

Jims5543

94touring

I was trying to find dyno results but best I could come up with were 12hp gains on v8's.  That was just having the throttle body ported.  I figure the whole intake manifold on a ported motor would have to be fairly significant.   Rotorsport racing has flow charts that show a 38% gain in air flow.  Not sure what that equates to in power but that's a lot of extra air. 

Jims5543

We did ao many things to my car when we ported it. Street port / uim/lim porting. Port matched the lim to the engine. Ported out the throttle body as well as remove the choke butterfly. Upgraded turbo from a T04e to a GT35R. Before that the car made 390 at the wheels after all that it made 482 to the wheel .

Oops I also put huge injectors in. I was running the smaller ones up near 90% duty so we went giant and made them work less.

Jims5543

Oops forgot about the fuel rails too...

Porting out the throttle body.

For you non Rotary guys, here is an entire engine tore apart. I burned this one up at a track day and drove it for 2 months before decided to have the engine pulled. Yes, it was blown and you could still turn it sideways in second gear.

Jims5543

We also opened up the exhaust ports and matched them to the turbo manifold. When I say "we" I mean my mechanic / fabricator I just worked my ass off to write the checks. I survey land and I am pretty good at it, he builds engines and is really good at it. We both decided to keep our day jobs.

94touring

Nearly 100hp gain, that's pretty sweet.  Same boost level?  15psi or more?  It's tough for me not to go crazy with rotary engine mods. 

94touring

What catback did you run Jim? 

Jims5543

Apexi N1 single exiting on the american passenger side (japanese domestic)

Obviously no cat and a resonator for a mid pipe.

Yeah to be fair, I made that 400 or so at 17PSI on the old engine and turbo and 480 at 18 PSI on the new engine / turbo I NEVER ran it at 18 PSI.... ever.... I ran it at 15PSI which was 400 at the wheels as well.  Which made the engine very happy and on the road for 4 solid years of mountain trips / runs and quite a few AX events.

The new owner is trying to push to 20 PSI because the new crop of supercars in Ft. Lauderdale are beating him.  I may be able to buy my old car back with a blown engine someday soon. :D

I should have never sold that car.

94touring

I'm curious if I can squeeze 450 at 15psi since I was at 405 as is.  I'm still not happy with my exhaust due to the droan on the highway, so thinking of going with the racing beat dual tip, which I know is slightly more restrictive, but I also know how they sound and I'd be happy.  My thinking is I'll just open dump the waste gate to gain power back and just deal with the screaming exhaust at full boost.  My black fd was open dump and at full power you're stupid loud and fast either way.     

94touring

Oh and fwiw I have seen several dyno results of open dump and they all gain about 20rwhp.  My old fd I went through a few exhaust before I was happy.  Had an n1 dual which was pure agony.  Ended up with an m2 dual but they've since gone out of business.   I have a resonated midpipe as well.  I have material for rotaries to make my own exhaust, might fab up a wastegate exhaust to dampen it at least a little.   

Jims5543

10 hour trips to the mountains in my FC was hell. Before I put the resonator in I would be hard of hearing when I got up to the mountains for the evening.

After I was just wore out.

To do it over again I would have put a racing beat exhaust and open dump because when you are WOT and open wastegate the last thing on your mind is being quiet...

If I kept the car I was going to exit the open dump pipe out the side of the lower fender or at the very least I wanted it out to the side of the car so it spit flames where everyone could see.  :D

94touring

Lol exactly.  Wot it really doesn't matter.  I actually kinda liked the sound.  But 70mph at cruise I'd like it to be a little more tolerable.  I wish I knew what the power loss was with the racing beat.  I know it's a straight through design and a 3 inch pipe leading to the muffler, but must turn restrictive somewhere.   Hell maybe not.   I need to cut it open to take measurements lol. 

94touring

Put new masters and a slave on, all new wheel cylinders, and managed to bust a fitting on the one line so ordered a couple extra odds and ends to go with that.  The clutch slave and master were so bad I'm surprised it did anything.   Also even though I cleaned out the tank best I could, whatever was in there turned to tar in my lines.  Spent a good part of the day degunking the carb and cleaning the lines yet again.   Seems to be doing good now.