Paint codes

Started by 94touring, May 11, 2009, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Agree on the pepper white.  Goes good with fiesta yellow.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Another vote for Pepper White.   I chose it for two reasons: 1) it looks great IMO, and 2) super easy availability since it was used on modern MINIs.   

Plus it is MINI paint code 850 so it's symbolically linked the Mini past.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cstudep

That is a nice color. On a completely unrelate note, what wheel arches do you have on your car. I think I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere but cannot find it now.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on November 14, 2020, 10:29:45 AM
Another vote for Pepper White.   I chose it for two reasons: 1) it looks great IMO, and 2) super easy availability since it was used on modern MINIs.   

Plus it is MINI paint code 850 so it's symbolically linked the Mini past.   ;D

this does look nice..
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 14, 2020, 02:45:19 PM
That is a nice color. On a completely unrelate note, what wheel arches do you have on your car. I think I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere but cannot find it now.

Those are wood and picket.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on November 14, 2020, 02:54:18 PM
Quote from: cstudep on November 14, 2020, 02:45:19 PM

Those are wood and picket.

Yup. 

And Dan painted the car.  4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

cstudep

Yes wood and picket now I remember! I really like the more subtle look of those.

I have looked through so many of the restoration threads here lately that they all kind of run together but I did remember that it was a Dan paintjob. Now I just need to convince him that taking on yet another project would be a good idea one of these years. Hopefully mine won't be quite as much of a project though as the metal should be sound (fingers crossed). Should just need some hammer and dolly work in a few places and a decent prep and paint. Of course I am sure he has been handed such projects before that turned into much worse.

94touring

Once I get this next batch of cars fixed up, painted, and out of the shop we'll see how I feel.  Someone from Indiana called the other day needing a mini done up but haven't heard back. Then there's someone in Chicago on the list and probably someone else I'm forgetting...well Don needs some work done on his pickup and another guy near Dave has been talking to me about his mk1 he's restoring.  I have 3 current mini projects I'm doing right now all at once.  So long as my helper keeps helping so I can focus on my own projects without getting burnt out on everyone else's, I'm good to go.

cstudep

Completely understandable, wish I lived a little closer as I'd be glad to put in some time to learn these sorts of things. Body work is one of those things I have never done but I think I might actually be decent at. Metal fab I can do I have just never done it on a vehicle before so that is one reason I wanted a project car to work on. I have always liked doing things where I am working with my hands and somehow ended up in a career that requires more brain than brawn, go figure.

Lone Star Mini

I'm looking for this color blue which I'm told is 'Speedwell Blue'.  I don't see speedwell blue on any of the listings within this threads so wondering if perhaps it might be surf blue (too dark looking) or Honolulu Blue??   For some reason, I believe there was a 'speedwell blue'... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Autocolor library then go 1960 Austin.  You can buy samples if you wish.

bikewiz

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 23, 2020, 02:23:04 PM
I'm looking for this color blue which I'm told is 'Speedwell Blue'.  I don't see speedwell blue on any of the listings within this threads so wondering if perhaps it might be surf blue (too dark looking) or Honolulu Blue??   For some reason, I believe there was a 'speedwell blue'...
That looks light Speedwell blue. They also painted early Bugeye/Frogeye Sprites that color. I found the  original BMC/BL code from Dan's link above but never ordered paint to try. If you end up using that color I'd be interested in how it turns out.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on November 23, 2020, 10:09:58 PM
Thanks Dan.. in going to the site, it does not give the code.  While it seems that I can order Speedwell Blue, it's asking for the manufacture paint codes.  Perhaps I'm not using the site correctly.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: bikewiz on November 23, 2020, 10:13:45 PM
.... If you end up using that color I'd be interested in how it turns out.
Definitely.. I am working a mini related project and not painting the whole car, but enough.  Not sure how long it will take because I have to learn all things painting, but I will certainly post pictures once complete.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 24, 2020, 05:20:26 AM
Quote from: 94touring on November 23, 2020, 10:09:58 PM
Thanks Dan.. in going to the site, it does not give the code.  While it seems that I can order Speedwell Blue, it's asking for the manufacture paint codes.  Perhaps I'm not using the site correctly.

Bu-1 if they need it.  I show $150 a quart or $330 a gallon in urethane.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on November 24, 2020, 05:34:51 AM
Bu-1 if they need it.  I show $150 a quart or $330 a gallon in urethane.

I did just now find the BU-1 on the fabulous Excel spreadsheet you posted (love that spreadsheet - thank you).  Basic question when painting if I may.  What is needed for a full proper finished application?  One or most of these?  Acrylic Enamel, Urethane Base Coat, Acrylic Urethane, Acyrlic Lacquer

also if I may.. what is the different in the two Tahiti Blues ('74 - '80)  and ('96 - '00)?
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I only spray in a urethane base coat with urethane clear coat. 

Difference between the two is probably slight variation in tint, metallic, pearls, ect...

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on November 24, 2020, 06:25:51 AM
I only spray in a urethane base coat with urethane clear coat. 

Difference between the two is probably slight variation in tint, metallic, pearls, ect...

çheers!!   
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

G67mcs

Lone Star,

Great looking Mk1 in Speedwell blue!!
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

Tim

Well, I've searched this site, the web and everywhere else and have come to the conclusion that Old English White is pretty hard to accurately define.  I have some wheels that I'd like to paint up in OEW and would like to find a formula to give to the local paint suppler.  Has anyone on here done a mix of OEW recently and is able to provide the details?  WT3 is the BL code, but I'm looking for a modern formula.

Thanks for the help.
Tim.

Jimini II

The BMW MINI color pepper white is considered to be very close to oew.

94touring

Pepper white is close with a bit less yellow in it. I prefer it personally. You'll find many colors have several variations over the years so it does become difficult to track down the perfect "OEW".   If you want a specific year of it I'd suggest autocolorlibrary which I've linked somewhere in here and have them mix for a specific year based off their charts.

Tim

Thanks for the pointers.  I was able to use a code  at the local supplier today so we'll see how well it comes out.  For those who are interested, here are the multiple different codes I came up with for OEW...

OEW Paint Codes
Glasso - 5324
ICI - 2379 or maybe ICI 2379/2122
Wiborg - 18580
Pinchin Johnson -CHW 8
Ditzler/PPG - 8177
Rinshed Mason - 6642
DuPont- 8207
GM - 5415 (maybe same as PPG 8177)
BMW Mini Pepper White - Mini 850/ BMW 850
Volvo California white 42 or 042
BASF - WT03
Jaguar OEW - PPG/Ditzler 8233/8894

One formula I found.
Valspar Omega 2K Low VOC Polyurethane Formula:
W51 429.9
Y77 42.3
K76 27.7
852C85 323.4

Our local supplier deals with BASF so I ended up ordering the WT03.  If there is any formula info on the can I will post it up later.

Tim.

Tim

The OEW I picked up today looks good.  I've attached a photo of the can.  I'm not sure if the numbers are useful to anyone but it's a record none the less.

Tim.

skmini

I asked for Mini 850 "Pepper White".  ;D