Paint codes

Started by 94touring, May 11, 2009, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomethingNew71

Quote from: Wasabi on January 09, 2016, 09:07:59 AM
Quote from: SomethingNew71 on September 23, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
Version 1 of the site is live.  Let me know what you think!!

www.colormymini.com

Great resource!

For version 2: Would be sweet if there were a photo or drawing of a Mini and the color selected "painted" the car. 
For version 3: Would be sweet if there were several Minis on screen to compare colors (could be last few colors searched, or a list/search box to set each one).

Great ideas i will add them to my future revisions!  Thank you. :-)

thebluepotato

I have the Tweed Grey codes if you all need em.  Here is Basil freshly painted.

MiniDave

They always look so good with a fresh respray - I like the colors too.....

Do you mind sharing what the paint job cost? It looks like they did the whole inside and bottom as well as the outside. What kind of paint did they use? Modern 2 pack with clear coat or.....?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

tmsmini

Our tin wagon was painted with this:
The color code for Tweed Grey in PPG is 31732.
Terry

94touring

thebluepotato

Jesus - just saw this thread and forgot to update.  Here is my code for Tweed Grey.

drmini

Quote from: Spitz on March 02, 2015, 03:11:15 PM
That may be the colour I go with.....Signal Red I guess that would be ( COF )
But 69 ?

What was the code for Tartan Red?  Wee the Royal Mail vans Tartan?

Post Office Vans were painted with a colour unique to the Post Office.  It was called "Pillar Box Red".  Not a standard BMC or Leyland colour.

94touring

Ahhh just a little known fact about ehh post office vans there Sammy.

MiniDave

;D

Welcome to the forum, Drmini!  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

Although one might think an early Mini Van in red would be Tartan red, that may not be the case.  BMC had what they referred to as "commercial colours" which were different from what they put on cars.  Also, Post Office vehicles were painted Pillar Box Red.

BruceK

/Insert Mini Paint Trivia: There was also a color called Police White which was a brighter (than OEW or Snowberry White) used on Minis used by the fuzz.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tsumini

I can offer a version of engine green paint formulas by Sherwin Williams. I think I paid $18 a quart. Would probably do 20 engines.

02jake

i'm having trouble finding the paint formula for almond green GN37. is there an updated code or does anyone have the formula. Paint company up here has given up.

thanks jake

94touring

Quote from: 02jake on October 17, 2019, 07:30:47 AM
i'm having trouble finding the paint formula for almond green GN37. is there an updated code or does anyone have the formula. Paint company up here has given up.

thanks jake

What I do with older colors that no one has formulas for is buy a batch from autocolor library.  I paint a swatch and take it to my supplier to scan in the material I prefer.  I usually buy a quart from the autocolor people and use it on floors, undersides, interior, ect.. although I'm sure it's good stuff.  When you select the make you need to click on BLMC.

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/classic-library

Lone Star Mini

Great resource.   Thanks to all you ppl.. glad I re-found this topic
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

I found a new favorite color on a Mini - Hawaian blue!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

When wanting to match powder coat colors, does anyone know how this is done?   Also, how does the RAL colors compare to the various paint codes?
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Willie_B

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 12, 2020, 11:08:17 AM
When wanting to match powder coat colors, does anyone know how this is done?   Also, how does the RAL colors compare to the various paint codes?

When it was time for a color choice on my moke I picked the powder color first and had a 6" x 6" metal square done with the other bits. Then that square goes to the paint store and they scan it with their machine to make the mix directions for the paint.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Willie_B on November 12, 2020, 11:18:23 AM
When it was time for a color choice on my moke I picked the powder color first and had a 6" x 6" metal square done with the other bits. Then that square goes to the paint store and they scan it with their machine to make the mix directions for the paint.

Nice.. I'm doing this in reverse.  I will most likely go with Tahiti blue as my shell color so I'm wondering the best way to match colors.  Likewise for the Pickup, I want to powder coat the wheels English White and I'm not sure how to do this or come close.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

gr8kornholio

Powder coated should have samples of all their possible colors so will probably just need to take a painted part in and get as close as possible.  Not sure if powder coating can custom match colors like paint.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on November 12, 2020, 12:10:12 PM
Powder coated should have samples of all their possible colors so will probably just need to take a painted part in and get as close as possible.  Not sure if powder coating can custom match colors like paint.
You're right, I may have to paint something using the codes listed in this thread and then take that down for color match..   The is probably my path forward.... . thanks
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Jimini II

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on November 12, 2020, 11:53:43 AM
Quote from: Willie_B on November 12, 2020, 11:18:23 AM

Nice.. I'm doing this in reverse.  I will most likely go with Tahiti blue as my shell color so I'm wondering the best way to match colors.  Likewise for the Pickup, I want to powder coat the wheels English White and I'm not sure how to do this or come close.

Pepper white was used on the older BMW Minis and is close to old english white.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: Jimini II on November 12, 2020, 10:33:29 PM

Pepper white was used on the older BMW Minis and is close to old english white.

Thank you..   I'm now thinking of getting some 1' x 1' square metal plates and painting the various colors I think I will want.  This way I will always have something to get a close match.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I've used pepper white a number of times and prefer it over the more yellowish variants you'll find in some old English whites.