28 June 1914

Started by Jims5543, June 29, 2014, 05:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

An 18 year old boy started World War One. So whoever says a teen cannot influence world events is wrong.  The shot heard around the world was fired yesterday by Garvilo Princip of course striking Archduke Franz Ferdinand in the head. Thus setting into motion a series of events that would ultimately lead to the beginning of WW1 37 days later.

Kids those days...

Great reads, it was a cool way for me to spend my Sunday morning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-editors-28034372

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28016999

I saw this on Flipboard this morning, Renee asked me how that erupted into WW1 and I honestly could not remember. So I spend a couple of hours reading in those links and around the internet. Fascinating to read about.

Germany was ultra paranoid and actually started to war with France simultaneously as Austria started war with Bosnia. Which, of course, dragged Russia in backing Bosnia, while Germany backed Austria, then England back Germany and so on...

Good reading if you have the time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

sparetimetoys

Unfortunately that's the type of history they no longer teach in our schools.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

Jims5543

Agreed, I did not know a 18 year old did the shooting, I also did not know why Ferdinand was being targeted. I learned that for the first time today.

I also learned that England worked their asses off on all fronts to try to stop that war from happening.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543