Rear subframe renewal - what's salvageable?

Started by Mudhen, June 20, 2014, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Is there anything at all that's worth saving when renewing a rear subframe?  Other than the swingarms?

Mine is a piece of junk...no surprise there.  But I started to try to get the drums off and can't get the adjuster to move at all no matter how much heat I apply - should I even bother?

Thanks!

Edit:  figured I'd start a new thread in case anyone else was pawing around looking for answers...

jedduh01

Just thoughts--

Friend scrapped his rear subby - and along and attached was the rear proportioning valve- 100$ mistake.. dont forget it. Early Mk 1 he had...

I also find the rear brake lines (hardlines) are usually savable amongst even the worst.  They will even have the correct Female fittings for going to the Flex Lines.

and even if complete- the Brake lines to the  Flex to the  brake Cyl.
    While not impossible to buy or make up - they're pretty rugged and can be re used. ( or replaced if complete junk in the end.  Scrapping that stuff can cause headahces when trying to put back together and not having a good eye / or a template to re create/.

Dont forget Electrolyss -  Set it up - let it bubble - even the rusty'est parts will come free( like your brake adjusters) but yes-  Complete back plates these days are cheap and easy.