1982 Refurbish

Started by 94touring, April 24, 2009, 06:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just as soon as I get settled into my new place in NC....

joltfreak

looks good the way it is...
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

It is!  Thats the best part, lol.  The doors are rusted up at the bottom, but has spare doors to go with it.  Has some dents and scratches and a dirty engine bay.  I'll have to clean up the interior, the rusty rear subby, pull and paint engine and bay, and give the car a respray.  Then I sell it and do another.  Has a 998 and disc brakes too.  Will make a good car for someone. 

94touring

Just got home with the car.  I'm beat.  Looks really good as is, just a few spots that need attention.  Pics soon. 

94touring

No pics yet as it was pouring rain here today.  Although I did clean up the points and rotor arm on the distributor and adjusted the carb.  Its running pretty good now. 

94touring

Fiddled with the mixture some more and now its running great.  Really stinking strong for a 998.

The day started by going out to the temporary mini shop.

Spent most the day prepping the side of my sportpack that needed to be redone to be perfect.

The mini is in pretty good shape to begin with. 

94touring

Engine bay and interior need cleaned.

So I gutted the interior to start the cleansing.  Floors are really solid and even shiney!  Thats a good feeling. 

94touring

Took off all the exterior pieces.

I'll have the spare set of doors that came with the car to fix the current doors which have rust along the bottoms.  Only other bad spot of rust is under the windshield.

94touring

And wouldn't you know it, its bad.

The culprit behind the rust is the foam sound insulation on the firewall.  It traps moisture and allows it to stay that way till eventually it rust all the way through.  This section will have to be cut out and patched. 

So I took it out, the cat helped.

Then looked at it in disgust.

94touring

So thats pretty much it for today.  The windscreen rubber was in good enough condition I was able to put the glass back in easily.  I'll have to cut about an 8 inch by 2 inch section along the windscreen to remove the rot there.  It has the horrid bullet mirrors which I need to replace as well.   

batman1usa

I like it, I like it a lot.   ;D

Batman

94touring

I'm telling you man, this is your new car!   And no I don't want your shell, lol. 

batman1usa

;D    :'(

94touring

He'll probably never buy anything, besides I'd be priced too high.  Sell him your shell for 500 bucks and call it a day. 

94touring

Spent the afternoon in the bathroom scrubbing interior.  Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but it looks clean now.  I did a before and after shot on the door cards so if you look hard enough one of the door cards is bluer than the other.

94touring

Should only be one more day of prepping and fixing dents and what not to have it ready for paint.

Started the day by identifying dings that needed repair.

94touring

The roof had a couple wavey spots that needed straightening.

94touring

Hacked out that rotten spot.

Then patched and filler to start reshaping.

94touring

While I was waiting for filler to dry I started detailing the engine bay.  Need to get some other kinda paints and keep working on it, but livened up a lot just by painting the block.

Minicop

That is sooooo Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!! I love it! Batman, you NEED to buy this car! If you don't, I will arrest you for......for.... uhhh... contaminating the air around you with that rusted out shell of yours! :D

94touring

I keep telling him to buy it.  He's in the market and I got one coming fresh off the press.  :)

batman1usa

8)  I've tried to make it work.... my banker is uncooperative.   And my wife says you gotta get rid of the shell in the garage first or forget about it....   >:(  and I have quit trying to get handyDan to take it and work some magic on it.  Now your guys are telling me it's making a hole in the ozone layer  :o        :'(
  I haven't given up hope.

JD

MD-IN-UK

Wow, that Mini on the inside looks just like mine used to. I still have the yellow engine block, and all that foam too, hmmm.....

The steering is on the wrong side though. I'd have to do something about that  ::)

Please list more details, I'm thirsty for a new Mini story.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

94touring

Details....lets see.  I bought the car before I moved to NC to have a project to hopefully flip fairly quickly to make some cash during this fabulous time of unemployement.  Picked it up in SC and flat towed back last Sunday.  The guy I bought it from use to import minis, had a few other rusty ones in his garage and then this one which had set for the past 3 years or so.  Someone did a pretty good refurb on it before, but since then its aquired some dents and dings and the few small spots of rust that I've shown.  The seams on it are perfect, so kudos to the last guy that did the panel work.  Aside from that it has a screaming 998 in it, so not sure if its just that strong or has some internal mods I'm unaware of.  But after tweaking the fuel it runs great.  Stock suspension and exhaust, nothing too fancy looking there.  Oh and I just noticed today the headliner is mint.  Never bothered to look up there before for some reason.

Today I finished straigtening out the roof dents, wing dent, rear panel dents, removed the doors, cleaned up and straighted out one of the doors, the windscreen panel is finished, and the rust I found along the door frames under the rubber seal has been wired brushed away and primered.  Roughed up most the car in prep for paint.  Had a splitting headache all day and it rained.           

94touring

Started the day by crossing my fingers the door bolts weren't going to give me any troubles, and luckily they didn't.

Kept working on some dents on the roof and got them squared away.  I guess I'll know when I put the black paint on.

Found some water logged rubber and rust to match under the door seal.  Luckily hadn't developed into anything more than just bad surface rust.

Wire brushed and primered.