1940 LaSalle

Started by MiniDave, May 23, 2023, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm not sure this is anyone's cup o tea here, but I thought I'd post it up anyway....this car belongs to my Son in law and daughter, they got it from Frank's father who did the resto work many many years ago. He died unexpectedly in 1996 and the car has been tied up in probate ever since, and finally got released. Frank and I had planned to go get it upon his father's passing and drive it down from Delaware to North Carolina, which would have been an epic fun trip, but as I said - tied up in probate.

Since the car sat all those years the engine has seized up tho I'm not sure but a soak with some Marvel Mystery oil or diesel down the cylinders wouldn't get it loosened up again as it ran fine before....

Anyway, proceeds from the sale will put my granddaughter in college, so - worthy cause!   :grin:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1940-lasalle-40-5219/
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Follow up - the LaSalle sold a few days after the BaT auction ended to one of the high bidders (it didn't meet reserve) - saving him 5% I guess. At least the car is out of my daughter's garage and off to someone who will appreciate it and get it running and driving again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Interesting addendum to this saga - I'm on Grass Roots Motorsports and I came across a thread where a fellow was asking how to get a stuck motor loose. He said it was from a 1940 LaSalle, and sure enough - it's the same car!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/ok-class-today-we-learn-about-flatties/257918/page1/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I guess I'm really naïve since I never had any aunts, uncles, or cousins in my family (so no relatives dying off) but I had absolutely no idea that when an estate goes into probate, it could take 25 years (!!!) to get resolved. Just Wow.

Looks like a nice old car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I'm not privy to all the details but somehow it was tied up until his mom died a couple years ago, and there were "issues" with a difficult family member. Said issues were also resolved when he passed away and the car (and family home too) got released. So it wasn't due to the courts but family issues of some sort.

It was a sad situation but as it always happens in these cases, sooner or later it all gets handled, one way or another.

Best thing is the guy who bought it is eager to get it running and driving and will own it for a good while as he really likes the car.....he finds it to be "stately" and already has plans to have the interior re-done. So, it's in good hands now and he bought it cheaply enough that he can have it for a good while and come out OK.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

More updates on the Lasalle motor. The block was cracked so he went and found another, newer engine - a 346 to replace the 326 that was in the car and he's having it rebuilt. Follow the link if you'd like to see what he found, lots of good pics in the thread.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad