What the ????

Started by MiniDave, May 05, 2022, 03:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/car-owner-who-left-jeep-at-dealership-gets-sued-after-worker-dies-during-oil-change?fbclid=IwAR2mfSEAo3DeMLpS-kk-oGpzJ_O35ZaZWMRe2AqoD1jN_flmuxmtNHVyHHI

So a guy drops off his car at the dealer for an oil change, an unlicensed 19 yo  jumps in and starts it up (musta been a manual left in gear) and drives over his co-worker - killing him. So they're suing the owner of the Jeep?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

um......ok. This makes absolutely no sense at all.

BruceK

A lawyer, Steve Lehto  (who has a pretty interesting YouTube channel I like), discusses the case here.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Steve didn't really add anything, did he?

So in his experience the problem is Michigan's insurance laws, forcing the plaintiff to sue the car owner rather than those who truly were responsible.

Still does NOT make any sense to me. No logic to this whatsoever.....

Everyone knows why they're not suing the 19 year old - he's 19, he doesn't have anything!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

MiniDave

That article does lay it out better, wonder how this will affect businesses in Michigan in the near future? Would anyone want to hand their keys over to anyone else - ever?

I wonder if you could get the shop to sign over an indemnity form before you let them work on your car?

(Not bloody likely!)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Aww the great American justice system.  Laws bent every way possible to push the blame on someone else so in the end the only winners are the lawyers.  Wonder if this is Michigan specific or if these type of laws are in every state.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

LarryLebel

The government insurance company in BC recently established no-fault car insurance because it was forking out $$$$ to lawyers in accident litigations. A bicycle rider who was hit by a car that ran a stop sign was recently charged almost $4K for his portion of the no-fault? accident.

jeff10049

Same around here A friend's daughter was hit by a guy running a stop sign in their neighborhood.
It is a blind intersection when coming from the direction she was driving so no way for her to see him coming until too late. Several people that live nearby provided statements that the guy always runs the stop and speeds they had also nearly been hit.  It totaled her car she was ok but the insurance wanted her to pay 25% for being 25% at fault?  How is one 25% at fault for driving along following the rules and getting hit by a driver that was speeding and failed to stop? She even had a dashcam showing her speed and the incident.  No way out of it they stuck to the 25% her father dropped all of his insurance with the company including business totaling about 5k per month in policy's and they acted as if they could care less.
Racketeering at its finest.

Brit_in_TX

Feel I need to google what the laws in Texas are!

MiniDave

How does no fault become 25% fault, or all not your fault but we're going after you anyway?

I think Kansas is a no fault state too - I think I also need to check!  8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad