Reece's Racecar

Started by MiniDave, January 03, 2022, 09:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

This is an interesting time in my life, my grandkids are now old enough that they're doing fun stuff that I can be part of - although remotely in this case as my grandson lives in North Carolina. He went with me on the last CMU event and shared driving my Racing Green Mini - which was interesting because he's 6'4" tall!

So, he recently started a thread on his racecar - I'll just post the link so you all can read it for yourselves. He's been an active autocrosser for years and always finishes in the top few cars in his Miata but this will be a fairly radical departure for him......should be fun! I can't wait to hear it run.....

I'm planning a visit in April after the CMU run, so I'll get to see it then.....maybe even drive it?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/but-can-it-turn-right-old-richard-petty-driving-experience-car/190423/page1
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Cool project at a steal of a price .
Its nice to see he is interested in something more than video games.

MiniDave

Yeah......neither he nor his siblings every got caught up in that....they have wide ranging interests including music, history, theatre, athletics and on and on....

So far he's done well with his Miata, autocrossing, I think he wants to step it up some with this car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Dave, I remember meeting your grandson at the Last CMU!   great to hear an update, and his progress.  I remember he was in a motorsports program in College. Where has that put him?
  Is he still in Charlotte, doing motorsports stuff?

Busy car to get busy with.. Committed... will like to hear where he plans to run it ( trailer racecar is now a commitment for sure)

MiniDave

He finished his degree in MM and promptly decided to become an architect, like his father! So, he's now working for his father's company, gaining experience and studying for the upcoming certification tests.

He's a busy boy!

He's back in Hendersonville, NC, renting a home with a couple other guys and living the bachelor life!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So Reece has made a little progress on his racecar, the fuel tank was known to be an issue - race tanks have a foam cell and bladder inside so if they get damaged they don't spew fuel all over - as this car is of indeterminate age and the fuel has been sitting in there for a long time, the tank had to come out. That required two men and the removal of the back window - but it's out now.

The other great mystery concerns the oil pump setup, it should have had a dry sump system (it has the external belt driven oil pump) but speculation is that it may have a regular sump and internal pump, as it was mostly a show and demo car.

I'm thinking he needs to pull the pan and see what's in there - it does have oil pressure when cranking so something is working in there somewhere!

Many challenges ahead for this car before it makes noise.....  9.gif

I'll be heading there after the CMU event in April, so I'll get to see it and maybe spin a few wrenches with him on it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Very cool to acquire a car like that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Success at last!!!!