F1 - 2022

Started by Brit_in_TX, October 26, 2021, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

You make a good point.  Lots of people try to hide in the past.  I'm all for the electric car, just I see all the pit falls of it.  If there was a cleaner longer lasting battery technology then I can see it taking off.  Agree also that the smaller or city central countries will be the first to transition. 

The thing with the phone analogy is up until the last 6 or so years all service providers were offering free phones with 2 year contract so maybe if someone wants to build a network of electric charging stations across the country people can sign up on a 2 year plan to use them and get a free electric car 😁
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on December 21, 2021, 09:27:23 PM
Of course, even if 50% of new car sales are electric by 2030 that still means there will still be millions and millions of gasoline powered cars on the road. So they won't be some drastic overnight change to electric, especially considering the average age of a car on US roads is 12 years old right now.

That is a huge factor, to get to 50% of cars being fully EV is probably going to be sometime in 2035-2040. 

There was an interview from some senior executive at Ford  that certain groups of customers are not ready for electric vehicles in the near future - mainly rural customers and professional drivers who do mega mileage. So for some brands they will retain some form of internal combustion engine, it really depends on what their respective market will accept.  I imagine that Audi and Jaguar customers are more urban and that will work for those brands.  Ford, GM and Ram - less likely to go all electric in the short to medium term.  Also there are brands in the world that sell a lot of cars in countries where they simply do not have a reliable electrical network (looking at you Toyota) - they will not be getting rid of the internal combustion engine any time soon.

Back to F1, I see them using the regulations to improve efficiency.  For example, reducing the amount of fuel that is available during the race.  Also targeting engine efficiency in the regulations - F1 engines are some of the most efficient in the world in terms of capturing heat and kinetic energy that would normally by lost. 

The biggest limitation in F1 going all electric and EVs in general is battery technology, which has not advanced much in the last 20 years or so.  Lithium-ion technology was discovered in the 70s and become commercially available in the 90s but has not changed greatly in that time.  There is a lot of research going into Graphene, which has a million and one potential uses - including in batteries, which would give an enormous increase in battery capacity (when compared to the same physical size) and therefore range.

gr8kornholio

It would be strange though to attend a motor race where you can't hear the motors.  Maybe electric motors of those power levels will make some cool banshee type wails.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

That's just one of the issues - crash safety with batteries is another....of course they've already been running Formula E with no real incidents so far, so maybe that's no biggie.....but after Grosjean's fireball crash I don't know how safe they are.

Maybe they could make cool artificial sounds like the pod racers?   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A little peek into F1 (and Grand Prix) history.  Amazing it still exists.  And great that the locals have begun to refurbish it.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

His French seems remarkable good.....

What an interesting time capsule!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 08, 2022, 12:22:47 PM
His French seems remarkable good.....

Yes, he speaks fluid French, and had lots of interesting videos on YouTube. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

A long time ago I found a movie (not a video - although it was on YouTube) of Sidney Allard getting ready to run LeMans. They set up shop - (a couple of tarps on the ground and a tent IIRC) - on the grass along the Mulsanne well ahead of the race weekend and what was fascinating to me was to see people in all walks of life driving, walking and cycling along the Mulsanne - and every so often a race car or three would go roaring by. Including the Cunningham "Le Monstre" Cadillace with its weird body work.

So I was watching the cars going by on the road in this Gouex video and wondering where the course was exactly as it looked a LONG ways before there would be a turn of any sort.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

In the video, there's a brief shot of a map which outlines the old race course. Most of it still exists as roads but there is a small gap where it just looks like farmland.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

pbraun

Regardless........we already have Formula E for those electric car fans.

Another thought:  What's this all about HAM quitting all his social media sites and rumoring he may hang up his helmet?

WTF? Rosberg did it, but he wasn't on top, just had the money.  HAM sure does, but just cause he felt scooped by the FIA on that final lap.......... come on........he has more guts than that wimpy move.  I don't get it I suppose.

Haven't seen anything about this for a while?   Anyone know what's happening?
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Rumors are rife.....but I think he'll be back.

I wonder who Merc would replace him with if he did quit cold like Rosbug did? They need an experienced driver to pair with George - maybe Nico would come back?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

So there has been a few changes around team leadership in the last week or so.

Otmar Szafnauer has left Aston Martin, this was rumored during the season, and has now happened.  The money is on him going to Alpine, which leads me on to Marcin Budkowski has left Alpine, with no obviously place to go.  Also Alpine have not renewed the advisor contract they had with Alain Prost.

Aston Martin have announced that Mike Krack is going to be Team Principal, who came from BMW and ran their motorsport operations.

In addition to Otmar going to Alpine, looks like the BWF company (the ones behind the pink cars) is jumping from Aston Martin to Alpine.  There were rumors earlier in the season they were unhappy with the lack of pink branding on the Aston Martin, which was apparently to the letter of the agreement but not the spirit of it. 

Other sponsorships not being renewed, Bose have not renewed with Mercedes.  Wonder if that was to do with Toto smashing his highly branded headset during the Saudi GP?

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on January 10, 2022, 11:14:34 AM
Rumors are rife.....but I think he'll be back.

I wonder who Merc would replace him with if he did quit cold like Rosbug did? They need an experienced driver to pair with George - maybe Nico would come back?   ;D

Saw today that Mercedes have been quietly talking to some drivers about replacing Hamilton. High on the list is Gasly.  Not sure how it would happen contractually, but he seems to be a star of the future with his performances in the junior Red Bull. 

MiniDave

I've been wondering which way they would jump if Hamster took his ball and went home....and I've been wondering if what happened in Abu Dabi has less to do with Hammy's leaving the big show than the possibility that the Merc's will not have their Penske unfair advantage any more and he does NOT like being anywhere but out front?

Gasly is an interesting consideration - but why wouldn't they get Bought-Ass right back again? Maybe the multi-year contract he has with Alfa might keep him there?

I would like to see pink cars back on the track - they're easy to spot amongst all the others - but I don't know how well pink trim will go with yellow and blue on the Alpine?

Just when you thought everything was all set in F1, the musical chairs dance starts up again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

If Hamilton goes we will have missed out on Russell versus Hamilton which I think would be very interesting.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

We will find out pretty soon, as Merc have announced their car launch date (Feb 18).  And there will be a shake down of the car after that and traditionally the race drivers have done the shakedown. 

MiniDave

I still think the Hamster will be back.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So......Honda has changed its mind and will build red Bull's engines till 2025, when Porsche will jump in.....

I still think Audi will be buying McLaren - deal to be announced soon.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-set-to-extend-direct-red-bull-supply-to-2025/7677145/?fbclid=IwAR3qEdZvpEhLIz1wHAH0Q49HH76WkLUxl8WzxDco0xusNAZCcVtaW8woHoU

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

I'm gonna buy an older corvette or mustang, mod it up and run it on avgas, louden up the exhaust and just run it in the driveway and around town a bit just to annoy my stiff neighbors, then have a cigar and bourbon while it cools down.

ha ha ha HA !
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

pbraun

I think we should do a poll, or something as to whether or not HAM will race this year. 71.gif

And when will he announce one way or the other.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

MiniDave

Well, as expected, the Haminator will be in the Merc again this year......and claims he's ready to fight for the title.  ::)

But even more newsworthy - HAAS has dropped their Russian sponsor and removed their name from their livery. For now they are keeping Mazespin (and his money I'll bet) but I'm thinking they told daddy that if he wants his son in F1, cash and no names.  :-\

It matters not one whit what happens in these early days of testing but so far both Ferrari and McLaren look quick.

OH, and the Russian GP has been removed from the schedule......

Mazespin has been careful in what he says about the events in Ukraine, but I wonder if come the start of the season he will still be driving for HAAS......or anyone? Maybe as a chauffeur for his dad?

The Guardian, meanwhile, points out that Mazepin's seat is also in question because of possible visa bans on Russians, meaning he may not be able to enter, much less compete in, most countries with Formula 1 races.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

HAAS send lil Nikki back home to poppa.....

The Haas Formula 1 Team say they have terminated Nikita Mazepin's contract and their title partnership with Uralkali with immediate effect.

"Haas F1 Team has elected to terminate, with immediate effect, the title partnership of Uralkali, and the driver contract of Nikita Mazepin," said a statement from the team.

"As with the rest of the Formula 1 community, the team is shocked and saddened by the invasion of Ukraine and wishes for a swift and peaceful end to the conflict."

So, who will HAAS tap for the empty seat? At first glance you would think they would go after someone who can bring money to the table like Alfa did with their new Chinese rookie......but I don't know who that would be.

Possibles:

Giovanzzi - def a solid choice, but I don't think he brings anything new to the team.

Peitro Fittipaldi - certainly has the right name, and probably some backing thru his Grandpa Emmo, currently their backup driver so already integrated into the team - but a complete rookie too.

How about KMag? Seems like he would be a good choice if he can get out of his current sports car contracts?

Oscar Piastri - has won three titles in the last three years - F Renault, F3 and F2.....seems logical to have him jump in BUT he's already contracted to Alpine......could get sticky placing your driver with a rival team, but it's been done before.

The Hulk - seems like the perfect choice to me, he has skillz, he has plenty of experience but I don't know if he can bring the needed $$$ to the table.

Who's your pick?

Whoever they tap, they need to get it done right now.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My guess is the Hulkster.  Just a wild guess.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm thinking Giovanazzi or Fitti.......both are in the program already, and both have a firm history with Ferrari.

Even tho I think the Hulk would be a good choice.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad