Next Mini in the works

Started by MPlayle, October 23, 2021, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

A couple of folks are aware of this but it is far enough along the process to be public about my next Mini in the works.

1983 Mini 1000 Van from the Netherlands.  It is purchased and in the process of getting the shipping arrangements set.

Willie_B

Looks really nice. May not be much for you fix on it hopefully.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Jimini II

That looks nice Michael.
I just posted on your sold Mini thread do you have another one in mind lol.

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MPlayle

They are supposed to be removing the black-out tint from the side and rear windows to restore visibility.

The only "mods" I have planned for now are a high-mount third brake light, LED bulbs in the tail lights, and possibly carpet for the load floor.

MiniDave

Unless you were going for a color with the carpet, I'd consider using one of those rubber truck bed liners, durable and it dampens sound. an alternative to that is a horse stall mat from Tractor Supply.....either one cut to fit of course.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I think I have more than enough carpet pad and carpet left over from the Mini Marcos to do the job.  The padding is rubberized on one side to resist sliding.  The carpet is the indoor/outdoor type from Lowes in medium grey.

Brit_in_TX

That looks awesome!

Can't wait to see it in person. 

MPlayle

It is supposed to be leaving the port in Antwerp this weekend, due in Freeport, Texas about Dec 16th.

MPlayle

Actually time for the "big news" part of this thread.

I actually have two Minis on their way: the above mentioned 1983 Panel Van and a 1996 Japanese spec "Mini 35" Saloon in Almond Green with White roof and Porcelain Green interior.  Being Japanese spec, the Saloon has a/c in the nicer wood dash.  It also has been given a MK-I exterior appearance (MK-I grill, MK-I tail lights, and 10" wheels).

The "fun" part is they are both due to arrive on the same shipping vessel (leaving Southampton either today or tomorrow).

The UK place I am getting the Saloon from also has a couple of very special Minis in inventory: a "Votz" Mini (one of 48 "coach built" Minis) and the Rover factory 'development mule' for the RSP Coopers (Chassis 001 of that series).  I don't know if either special Mini is on their website yet, but here is a link to their site:
https://www.classicwise.co.uk/

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I forgot to save any of the pictures from the listing, but how about a walk-around video I received.

MiniDave

Wow, that's a beauty!

John Styer's Mini is a Jap Spec shell, almond green with white roof and porcelain green interior in leather, so that's only the second one I've ever seen in that color combination.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MPlayle

The pictures I have of the green one are all details such as these of the underside.

BruceK

Beautiful!  I remember seeing a brand new Mini Cooper just like this one, same Almond Green, same porcelain green interior (but not backdated) outside MiniSpares in London back in 1996.  Seeing that car really stuck with me because a good friend of mine had a Almond Green Mk II Cooper S and I always loved the color.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Got the shipping confirmations today.  They are both supposedly on the same boat, currently due into Freeport on Dec 16.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Nice car Michael and the ac will be a plus in the Texas summers.
The almond green and white Mini along with the Monte Carlo special editions  are my favourite ones, I have owned both and regret selling them.

MPlayle

They have both arrived (on the same ship) and cleared customs.

I am going to the port tomorrow (Wednesday, Dec 22) to pick up one car and then on Monday to get the other.  Going to the port alone with my tow dolly, so I can only do one at a time.  The port service is closed Thursday and Friday for the Holidays.

MiniDave

Cool! Merry Xmas to you!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So.... Michael I'm sure you posted all about your new pair of Minis on your Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts  ;D  but nothing here in Restoration Mini yet? 

How's it going?  Got pictures?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

No Bruce, nothing posted anywhere.  Everyone knows I avoid all those "social media" sites like the plague.

I have both Minis safely home.  Two "all day" trips to the port in Freeport and back.  I retrieved the Almond Green 1996 Mini 35 Wednesday before Christmas and the Blue 1983 Mini Van yesterday.

No pictures yet.  I did not take my camera on either trip to the port.

I have had other catch-up work to do after each trip. 

I did take some time today to get a temporary tag for the Mini Van in order to be able to drive it to the necessary inspections.  I also set about getting the necessary "certified translations" of the Dutch Registration and Bill-of-Sale for the Mini Van.

I am still waiting on the original paperwork on the Almond Green one (coming from the UK).  It has been delayed in the mail - not sure which side let it sit for almost a week in limbo between Royal Mail and USPS.

I need to give them both a good washing before trying to take any pictures.