Next Mini in the works

Started by MPlayle, October 23, 2021, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Michael, I was jesting about the various social media outlets - I know you take a sensible approach and avoid all of that.

Great to hear that you have both of them home. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MPlayle on December 28, 2021, 08:02:34 PM
I am still waiting on the original paperwork on the Almond Green one (coming from the UK).  It has been delayed in the mail - not sure which side let it sit for almost a week in limbo between Royal Mail and USPS.

It is the UK - I have given up on using Royal Mail for international shipping in either direction, as it hits their international depot at Heathrow and simply disappears - well packages do. 

MiniDave

I have to agree - the few times I've used the royal mail I've been surprised just how long it takes for things to get here....whether packages or just envelopes. Even the Royal Air mail is bog slow.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

More drama:
The "good news" - the paperwork coming from the UK is finally about to arrive.  It was in "limbo" for a week, then made it to USPS "Customs" processing in Chicago.  Then it took a whole day to cross from one side of Chicago International to the other.  It has finally arrived in San Antonio and been processed through the main branch and at the area office.  I expect to receive it tomorrow.

The "bad news" - I have to get a DMV VIN Verification on both (since they came from overseas) and the local DMV office is backed up until early April!  I spent much of yesterday scrambling around making calls and visiting area municipalities trying to find any other law enforcement that could/would do the inspections.  No dice.  The small municipalities do not do the inspections and the DMV offices for surrounding counties will not reciprocate for Bexar county/San Antonio as Bexar county/San Antonio has a "does not play nice with others" reputation.  I have appointments in April for each car and cannot get permanent tags until after those inspections.

The "saving grace" - I went back to the tax office to find out what to do as I am supposed to register the cars within 30 days of receiving them.  Fortunately, they are both over 25 years old, so exempt from late fees and the "30 days" will not start until I get the VIN Verification and regular state inspections in April.

MiniDave

Will they give you temp tags to drive on till then?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on December 30, 2021, 07:09:30 PM
Will they give you temp tags to drive on till then?

Yes, although I have to pay a fee for each 30-day tag and can only do a total of 3 tags per car.  That does not quite cover the whole time period before I can get the VIN Verification for each car.  I will have to skip one month with each car to have tags active in April to drive to the inspections.

Jimini II

Well that sucks Michael.
The only saving grace is you have two to shuffle and drive through the waiting period.

MiniDave

You could alternate - use one in one month, the other the next.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Just a thought Michael some States let law enforcement do vehicle vin number inspections and sign off, i don't know if Texas is one of them though but it might be worth looking into.

MPlayle

Quote from: Jimini II on December 31, 2021, 11:57:31 AM
Just a thought Michael some States let law enforcement do vehicle vin number inspections and sign off, i don't know if Texas is one of them though but it might be worth looking into.

In Texas it is law enforcement that does the actual inspections.  In the jurisdictions that have an "auto crimes" unit, it is done by officers in that unit by appointments scheduled through the local DMV office.  In smaller or rural jurisdictions, it is done through the Sheriff's office.  Bexar county/San Antonio is a large city (with several small municipalities encapsulated within), so done through the "auto crimes"/DMV joint arrangement.  All the small municipalities defer to Bexar country/San Antonio.

Bureaucracy sucks in this case.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 31, 2021, 02:06:41 PM

Bureaucracy sucks in this case.

Bureaucracy sucks in EVERY case.

(I fixed it for you   ;D ).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

drmini

Michael, In one of the earlier posts you mentioned the "RSP test mule" as being on their site and is VIN 001,  I'd like to know more about what they are claiming to have, because what you said doesn't correspond with what they actually did at the Rover factory.  At the Mini 30 IMM, John Cooper's stand was drawing more attention and sales than the Rover factory stand.  JC was selling his John Cooper Conversion Kits and converted cars.  Rover execs decided they would reintroduce the Mini Cooper.  A Flame Red car was given the special VIN which contains the "BAD" letters instead of the "BBD" letters that were in the normal sequence.  That car had a consecutive number that coinsided with the cars on the line.  That car carried the VIN: SAXXNNAMBAD469664. It was removed and taken to the Special Products division and became the test mule for the RSP.  It Got the wheels and interior from the Mini30 and a 1275 from a Metro.  That car was developed under the purview and guidance of Alistair Vines who was in charge of the Mini production for Rover.  That car ultimately ended up in his ownership and is well documented as what it is.  Besides that, Alistair was a friend of mine at the time and I am very familiar with this car and some of the differences from the 1650 RSPs that ran in sequence from SAXXNNAMBAD010001 to SAXXNNAMBAD011650.  FWIW, the first production RSP #001 was given to Russ Swift and the roof was cut off so he could wave at the crowd when he did the two-wheeled stunt driving for Rover.  That car is red as well.