Getting back to Normal

Started by BruceK, May 27, 2021, 11:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

There are two different lic offices in Kansas - one for plates and titles and such and a different one for driver's licenses.

The plate and title ones in Kansas got better with the advent of cell phones and texting. You make an appointment and they text you updates on wait time. When you get within 30 or 15 minutes you head down to the lic office. I've actually timed it to where they were calling my number as I walked in the door. They still have walk ins of course, but for those you will wait, possibly a long time depending on the time of the month (busiest time is just after the first of the month and around lunch times.) I've waited as much as 5 hours to get plates in the past!

I'm glad that this (getting my DL) went so easily, the last time I did it there was a HUGE line of 16 year olds who were freshly graduated from driving school getting their lic or permit. The line for the driving test was 20-30 kids long. Fortunately - again - I didn't have to do a drive test.

This was a new lic office to me, I had never been here before, but the "manager" seemed to be really on top of things as he was walking around the floor making sure questions got answered and things moved smoothly. Either that or he was bored and had nothing to do! since appointments were every 10 minutes I guess that's how long they expect each customer to take.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

sounds like a pretty decent operation, being able to make an appointment would be nice, wish they would start doing that here!

BruceK

I wondering about "temporary" changes due to the pandemic becoming permanent because, well, businesses love ways to save money. 

For example, scanning QR codes at restaurants in place of having actual traditional printed menus.  A permanent change for some places I'm thinking.   

I'm staying at a Best Western hotel and they have eliminated the hotel directory binder book in the rooms in favor of a QR code scan.  Also, this is a twist: no maid service for your room unless you put a little flag out on your outside door handle specifically requesting it.  So the exact opposite of "do not disturb" flag - the default for housekeeping service has flipped 180° and probably won't change back.   Suits me fine, I don't need someone in my hotel room on a daily basis.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

All the shift to using QR codes to see menus or directories fails to account for those without smart phones - not just those like me that stay with a flip phone, but also those without any sort of cell phone.

Also, how easy has it been for those with smart phones to actually read a restaurant menu on your phone?  When I have had to share someone else's phone to read such a menu, it is a pain in the ass since the menu ends up so small you cannot read it without constantly blowing up a tiny section and scrolling all over the place to read the menu items and their descriptions.

Technology shortcuts are not always the best answer.  They can often lead to a poor customer experience.  Poor customer experience leads to no repeat customers leads to much lost business that cost you more than the shortcut saved.

MiniDave

I agree with both of you, I don't need maid service every day, and scanning QR codes is a PITA. Especially since I don't seem to have the right app on my phone to do that - we tried to do it at the pizza restaurant the other day - didn't work. Or I just don't know how to do theirs since I've done others.....come to think of it I did it successfully at their other store, same "brand"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on June 10, 2021, 12:02:24 PM
I wondering about "temporary" changes due to the pandemic becoming permanent because, well, businesses love ways to save money. 

For example, scanning QR codes at restaurants in place of having actual traditional printed menus.  A permanent change for some places I'm thinking.   

I'm staying at a Best Western hotel and they have eliminated the hotel directory binder book in the rooms in favor of a QR code scan.  Also, this is a twist: no maid service for your room unless you put a little flag out on your outside door handle specifically requesting it.  So the exact opposite of "do not disturb" flag - the default for housekeeping service has flipped 180° and probably won't change back.   Suits me fine, I don't need someone in my hotel room on a daily basis.

As someone who lives out of hotels half the year I'd be happy if they left me alone unless I specifically request it.

BruceK

I ate at a restaurant tonight that had a glorious full-size, multi-page printed menu chock full of interesting items.   Soooo much better than trying to look at it on my phone.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

Not a fan of the QR code for several reasons, the biggest being the risk for malicious activity, but also just not a fan of all the tracking that is very likely coming along with it every time you scan one.

For instance here are just some of the things QR codes can do, automatically create a new contact or contact list on your phone, start a phone call, create a text message, draft an e-mail, make a payment, share geolocation and other information, open a web page and/or download an app (most common), cause a user to follow someone on social media, add a Wi-Fi network to your preferred list.....etc...etc...

The biggest problem is you have no idea what a particular QR code is going to do until you scan it. I imagine as they become more prevalent the risks will grow as people invest more time and energy trying to exploit them. Scanning one on a restaurant menu might not be all that high of a risk (it is a pain in the ass though) scanning random ones out and about could be as you don't really know who put them there or if someone might have replaced a legit one with a nefarious one.

People have a lot of information on their phones these days for "convenience", banking info, passwords, login info....they really are just little computers now and people are a lot more careless with how they use them since they are so transportable.

BruceK

Just reflecting on changes I've noticed over the past couple of weeks...   Other than some remaining plexiglass still hanging around cashiers, I'm not seeing any pandemic reminders anymore.  No masks, no hand sanitizer dispensers, no social distancing signs, etc.  in restaurants, stores, etc.   Seems pretty pre-pandemic "normal" around here now.   And little talk of the vaccines, too.  Perhaps because most people are vaccinated now? 

What's it like where you are?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I know Hawaii is still pretty strict in businesses. 

MPlayle

Most places in I visit in San Antonio are like Bruce says.  A few are still having their staff wear masks, but letting them be optional for customers.  I did see one place with a sign stating masks were optional for vaccinated staff and customers.  The grocery store I use most often is not enforcing masks and when I was in over the weekend, it was about a 50/50 mix of masks and no-masks among customers.  I know that store chain (HEB) has made masks optional for vaccinated staff and has been encouraging all staff to be vaccinated.

Edit:  I also read recently that San Antonio city government is reporting 72% of the city population has had at least one dose of the vaccines.

gr8kornholio

Up hear just north of Dallas it is getting very much back to normal.  Probably about a 20% mask wearing rate.  All signage points to un vaccinated mask wearing is encouraged.  We had our big 4th July thing last weekend and the large park was packed and I don't remember seeing a single mask.  We just watched from a far.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

As some of you know my wife and I have been on the road for the last 3 months we are still traveling.
We have gone from the west coast to new york via a southern route and are on the return via a northern route.
We have definitely seen a change since we left in April things are very much getting back to normal with the exception of staffing. Everywhere we go from big cities to backwoods small towns it's HELP WANTED!
In Yellowstone most of the folks we talked to came out of retirement to help for the summer one guy was 92 years old at the campground we stayed at he retired from the job 15 years ago and came back for a season they are so desperate that most of the stuff that's closed is not due to covid but lack of staff.
What happened to the park rangers that were doing it when covid hit? And everyone else for that matter did they just quit? I don't get that part of the whole thing.
Places are doing the best they can with the staff they have but whether it's a tire shop, restaurant, state park, national park, dentist, grocery store or you name it they all seem to have a help wanted sign.

MiniDave

Hey Jeff, glad to hear you guys are OK and still rolling....can't wait to hear all the stories from your adventure!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on July 02, 2021, 07:51:17 AM
Hey Jeff, glad to hear you guys are OK and still rolling....can't wait to hear all the stories from your adventure!  77.gif

Thanks, Dave It's been fun we thought we'd be ready to go home by now but we're really not. However, the trip must end as we are running out of time with the people taking care of our place. so we'll be home middle of the month.

Concerning the topic of this thread, Oregon is supposed to be back to normal as of yesterday so that will be nice to return to.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on May 29, 2021, 10:31:43 AM
Quote from: gr8kornholio on May 28, 2021, 08:13:30 PM
Still pretty masked up here in N Dallas suburbs.  All employees still wearing and probably 90% customers.  Numbers have come down on the new infection rate that work is planning to drop our shit level by 1.  Has to go down another level after that before I'll be required to go back.  Unfortunately even then we will have to wear masks in the office.   Sounds stupid if at that point the rest of the world is mask free.  The neighborhoods around here with pools are open.

About 5 years ago at my old job my workteam had to (got to!) work from home for almost a year while our floor in a high rise building was totally renovated.  Everyone pretty quickly figured out how to adapt to working from home fulltime and having online zoom-type meetings and we all got really used to that environment.   You know, waking up 10 minutes before work and climbing behind the computer still in pajamas.  This went on for 11 months until finally the floor renovations were finished and we had to  return to showing up at the office.   While it was great to see all my coworkers and friends again on the office, the honeymoon was soon over.   Just about everyone begin to question why we needed to show up in the office when it was proven for one year that we could be trusted to work from home and still get our jobs done.  People begin to openly question the rationale for working in the office - as well as incurring the  "extra expenses" of commuting, paying for work attire, etc.   Not to mention the time and expenses wasted commuting to and from the office.  Eventually we all just put up with going back to work in the office.

But I wonder if the pandemic will have a similar but longer-lasting effect with millions of people working at home?    Will some jobs become permanently remote and never return to an office environment?   Will that be a valuable tool to attract and retain employees?    Well we see a permanent change in the "office job"?

So... Looks like many Apple employees aren't too happy about being instructed to go back to work in the office just 3 days a week.  I wonder if a compromise will be done, or if Apple will tell them to go pound sand?  Got a feeling Apple will knuckle under. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9655645/Apple-employees-revolt-against-CEO-Tim-Cooks-order-return-office.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

My work since we do government contracts made us get the jab. However they're paying us for 2 days, 1 year pay if we get bad side effects, 10 days paid off if we get covids (would be the 2nd or 3rd time for many of us), or 5 years personal leave if you just don't want to do it. No booster shots unless mandated then all of the above takes place again.

gr8kornholio

So much for normal. At this rate there will always be a variant to keep the fear and vaccine money trains rolling.  Also the great city of Philadelphia has put all restaurants and food service on notice cause they are mandating patrons show a vaccine card before dining in. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I would imagine that would just mean more people inclined to move to states without all the restrictions.  Around here covid rules aren't a thing anymore unless you're in the airport.  It's almost unusual to see anyone wearing a face diaper out and about.  I'm supposed to fly over to Germany this week and see a mandatory covid test is on my schedule.  Might bang out sick for that one and go somewhere else.

I did recently see how many news organizations are sponsored by Pfizer.  Pretty much all of them peddling the fear. 

Oh and Bulgaria now requires vaccine cards to go in businesses.  But they barely glance at it and some don't bother at all.  Everyone just goes through the motions.  We had pics of cards on our phones.  Could have been the same card for all of us cause they aren't checking ID

MiniDave

The thing is, people are still getting sick and dying from this thing.....I think you both have either a very cavalier attitude or like many people are just tired of hearing about it.

I have a friend in hospital right now with Omicron.....he's not intubated or in the ICU, but he's very sick.....

We got our booster shots last week and like the ones before, only a little sore the next day, and by the second day even that was mostly gone - so there's no real side effect from getting the vaccine except that your chances of getting sick and dying go down dramatically.

I just don't see the downside of taking precautions......

Around here I would say mask wearing is about 50%, and almost 100% in some places like the grocery store with its higher percentage of older folks shopping.  To me even that is a positive thing if it keeps it from spreading.

I don't know what you think Pfizer is getting out of this other than the sale of the vaccine as our gummint is picking up the tab for the shots, but I seriously doubt it's being faked just to keep selling the vaccine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I thought a negative covid test was mandatory to re-enter the US after travelling internationally.  My mother is planning to travel to visit in the new year and she needs a negative test. Maybe different rules for aircrew.

Where I live in Texas I estimate that around 30-50% of people are still wearing masks in the local grocery store. As my wife is pregnant, we continue to wear masks in public and avoid large crowds.  This is on advice from her doctor, that covid when pregnant is not good for the mother or the unborn child - the stats are limited but it usually results in pre term birth and significant medical interventions for both.  Also I know of a number of people who have had covid and been hospitalized - some have died, some have survived.  A high school friend's wife has been diagnosed with Long Covid and that has been debilitating - they had to move out of their 2 story home and had to move to 1 story home as she could no longer walk up the stairs or care for their daughter. 

Having said that, I fundamentally disagree with various governments (local, state or federal) making (often) minimum wage workers the enforcement point for vaccine restrictions e.g. restricting access to restaurants.  This is especially an issue when the vaccination cards are so basic and can be easily copied etc.  It is definitely a check box exercise to make governments feel they are doing something.

Also the international travel restrictions that we have seen with the latest variant are pointless.  The variant still spreads and it does not seem to make much different to the speed of the spread - probably because by the time they identify it, it has been around for a while anyway (but I am no expert). 

Ultimately, it is for each person to make their own decision on what the want to do, but don't belittle an individual's choices to wear a mask or be cautious as you do not know why they may be doing so.  When I out alone I have had a few negative comments about wearing a mask (which I ignore), but when out with my heavily pregnant wife it is accepted.

94touring

The testing typically isn't required for air crew.  Certain places are a bit over the top with it for crew. Like Germany and especially Australia.  There isn't even staff working the hotels there. Just police. Over handed and then some.  I am on the side of personal choice and freedoms.

MiniDave

I don't consider it freedom when you're potentially infecting everyone you meet and everyone they meet too....

I am on the side that everyone needs to do everything they can to help this thing get tamped down once and for all. I consider that the ultimate freedom - everyone pulling on the same end of the rope to kill the "enemy", to free us all from potential death or even terrible illness....

Brit - congrats to you and the bride on the upcoming little one - when is she due?

My granddaughter gave birth in April 2020 and again in May 2021 (13 months apart!!!!) . We were holding our collective breath that everything would be OK and so far so good. Both kids doing well as is the Mom and dad. Best wishes for you and yours!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on December 15, 2021, 02:43:09 PM
Brit - congrats to you and the bride on the upcoming little one - when is she due?

Thanks Dave, we are due late January.

94touring

Well everyone's favorite topic!  Last month in Bulgaria they lifted the mask mandates in airports and airplanes, then of course we followed.  Yesterday/today or whatever day this is for me, I've been in Taiwan.  I can't wait to get the F out of here.  Land and open airplane doors.  People in hazmat suits approach and spray us down with whatever chemicals they have.  We are given gloves and mask and head down the stairs to our ride.  Where our luggage is sprayed.  Drive around the airport ramp to a private terminal for charter type crew and get sprayed again by people in hazmat suits.  Fill out forms and head outside to our main ride to the hotel. Get sprayed again.  Arrive at the hotel which is roped off inside and a table is setup with a guy standing there in his hazmat suit.  Get sprayed again.  After filling out our breakfast, lunch, dinner and breakfast meals from a menu over our 30ish hours here are escorted to our room.  We are to stay inside the room and not to leave for any reason.  Maybe if the building catches on fire.  Outside the door is a Styrofoam bin with lid which they place our meals in according to the time schedule on the menu.  Once done with eating you place the food back in the bin.  Must keep daily log of temperatures taken twice daily on form and turn in on departure.  In order to leave to the airport they will call us and tell us it's ok to leave our room.