Getting back to Normal

Started by BruceK, May 27, 2021, 11:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Part of the TP thing was actually due to a shift is where it was being consumed.  I read an article specifically about the issue.

It seems commercial TP and residential TP are produced and distributed using separate supply chains.  Each supply chain tends to run near maximum in normal circumstances.  When the lockdowns started, the commercial demand dropped, but the residential demand skyrocketed.  The residential supply chain could not keep up and the commercial supply chain could not get redirected.  This led to hoarding as a reaction to the perceived drop in residential supply.

BruceK

Ah. Interesting insight. A quantum shift in where you... go.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

I hope that 'normal' means normal - I'd like to be able to get on a plane and to visit and eventually move back to the U.S., WITHOUT any so-called 'vaccine' requirement.  I'm not planning on getting any jab and I'd hate to have to live the rest of my life in exile.

On a positive note, I polished the mini today and have my lean-misfire problem (on over-run/rapid deceleration) 98% solved.
- Pave the Bay -

bikewiz

Quote from: MPlayle on June 05, 2021, 08:16:00 AM
Part of the TP thing was actually due to a shift is where it was being consumed.  I read an article specifically about the issue.

It seems commercial TP and residential TP are produced and distributed using separate supply chains.  Each supply chain tends to run near maximum in normal circumstances.  When the lockdowns started, the commercial demand dropped, but the residential demand skyrocketed.  The residential supply chain could not keep up and the commercial supply chain could not get redirected.  This led to hoarding as a reaction to the perceived drop in residential supply.

This somewhat makes sense we could buy as many of the big rolls of TP we wanted for the shop when you couldn't find a single roll in the grocery store.

BruceK

John, your Mini is looking good there!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I agree!

What turned out to be the problem with the lean running issue?

Does the roll bar cross bother you when looking in the rear view mirror? I had a 1980 Clubman Estate and I have a 2009 Clubman S, both have the center bar effect between the doors, it's annoying to try and look around...
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Quote from: MiniDave on June 06, 2021, 07:26:45 AM
I agree!

What turned out to be the problem with the lean running issue?

Does the roll bar cross bother you when looking in the rear view mirror? I had a 1980 Clubman Estate and I have a 2009 Clubman S, both have the center bar effect between the doors, it's annoying to try and look around...

Thanks - it's amazing what a bit of old Simoniz paste wax can do... 

The view through the rear view mirror, between the seats is about the same as a corner torn from a postage stamp.  The gussets on the 'X' fit right behind the seat wings/ears, so it's the seats that restrict rear visibility the most.  But oh well, there's so much vibration through the shell anyways at highway speeds that whatever view there is, is blurry anyways, so it's not really too much of an issue...

The lean running issue (misfire on rapid deceleration and overrun) was pretty much solved by trying many different vacuum advance units, and the funny thing is, the MiniSpares small bore unit (37H414MS (6-14-8)) is working the best.  When I spoke to MiniSpares last week to get the specs, I also asked about the 37H8225 unit - it's the same as the 37H414MS - according to the parts-counter guy who quoted the spec. 

If anyone is curious, the large bore (37H8379) appears to have (6-16-12) specs.

In it's current state, I'm getting around 38 - 40mpg, combined city and highway - driving out of the city and opening it up on the highway.  It'll cruise for hours at between 65 and 80 mph without any trouble other than the farty-exhaust note that I'm subjected to.  I think I'm going to leave it where it is and drive it, perhaps even enjoy it now and then.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I go to bed, I delete political post. I wake up, I delete political post.  My patience is wearing thin. 

BruceK

I thought the big bold lettering I put in the first post on this thread would set the tone about this having to be a non-political thread.

But I'll repeat it again:

Per Dan's wishes and direction, posts on this site should be NON-POLITICAL in nature. 

I hope we can keep this thread open because it's interesting learning about what's going on around us - we all want to get things back to normal and any progress of that happening is encouraging. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on June 08, 2021, 11:55:12 AM
I thought the big bold lettering I put in the first post on this thread would set the tone about this being a non-political thread.

I thought so too. 

MiniDave

So, I went to get a haircut today, sign on the door said "masks are optional".....

Last night at dinner they didn't look askance as we walked in without them, none of the servers were wearing them and only one or two of the patrons did.

Our local pools are open, I haven't checked the senior center yet....

Edit: Yes, their whole center is now open, including the indoor pools - for the last two weeks now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've noticed during mid day lunch/brunch hours here in Fort Worth that staffing is lacking at many places. So in turn service lacks. 

cstudep

The few times I have been out to eat lately, restaurants have been absolutely packed. Good for those businesses but like you said the service seems to be suffering as many seem to be short staffed or perhaps just over worked.

Perhaps people are just tired of eating their own cooking though LOL

94touring

Back home in Tulsa "we're hiring" signs are posted all over. 

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on June 08, 2021, 01:34:49 PM

Perhaps people are just tired of eating their own cooking though LOL

I think that's definitely part of it.    ;D   But I also think people are taking a fresh look about going out to eat and realizing it is a nice luxury we have all missed.

Plus, it's really nice to be out in a social setting with other people who are also enjoying themselves.   

I'm really looking forward to going back to a movie theater, once there's a movie that I'd like to see.  Maybe the new, long-delayed James Bond movie once it finally comes out.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on June 08, 2021, 01:54:30 PM
Back home in Tulsa "we're hiring" signs are posted all over.

The local McDonalds has had "help wanted" signs up for several months now.  They switched to drive-thru service only when the pandemic hit 15 months ago.  They have a smaller sign up now basically apologizing that the dining room can't reopen until they can get more people hired to staff it.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, makes me wonder if that's just an excuse to not hire more staff (the McD's)

I'm waiting for something decent to see at the theatre also.....we thought we might just go see anything just to be able to get out again, but nothing that's out right now is even remotely tempting. I wonder if Tix are going to be cheap or stupid expensive....same with popcorn.

Renewing my license tomorrow, had no problem getting an appointment for pretty much any time I wanted. Decided to get a haircut so my new pic would look OK and not so scruffy - there were only two guys working the place and they had stopped letting people walk in or make appointments online for that day by 2 pm, that's how backed up they were. The place has 8 chairs and usually there are 6 people cutting hair.....they close at 6 now instead of staying open till 9 cause it's not reasonable to ask people to be on their feet that long all day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I use a "Great Clips" near my apartment for haircuts.  Last year from March through about May they were closed.  When they were allowed to begin reopening, they would prefer an online appointment, but were allowing walk-ins.  I had no trouble checking wait times online, then doing a walk-in.  Early on, they were a bit short staffed, but have seemed pretty normal for staffing the last few times.  They did require masks.  That was how they were still operating through this past April when I got my last haircut.  The mask restrictions may be different when I get my next one soon.

MiniDave

Great Clips is who I go to also......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Every food joint over here in N Dallas is hiring.  The local whataburger has a sign for walk in interviews every day from 2-7. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Its pretty much business as usual down here in Florida.
Lots of places looking to hire even Home Depot and Lowes had signs out.
Some folks still wearing masks but a lot are not.

MiniDave

I had to renew my driver's license today, plus add the Federal "Real ID" endorsement so if we want to fly somewhere we can get on an airplane......to do that you need all sorts of info - stamped copy of your birth cert, current lic, proof of address via utility bill or bank statement, SS number etc etc.

Rose pulled all that together for me and I had my appointment set for 10:10 this am. I got there a few minutes early, expecting to wait, and wait, and wait but to my surprise they took me right up to the counter, verified all my info and handed me a number, they said have a seat and they would call my number but before I could sit down they were paging me to the counter!

In the past I've had trouble with the eye exam due to my weird "see distance in one eye read up close with the other" vision, but the last time I told them about this, they switched something in the eye machine and viola! I could read it just fine. They did the same this time and I read the smallest numbers and badda boom badda bing I'm done and good for another 4 years.

No written test, no "older driver" counselling, no driving test, nothing but pay the lady $20 and it will be in the mail to me in 2 weeks.

I really think there should be better testing of older drivers, based on the number of older folks I see on the road that have difficulty with modern traffic. It's not as bad here as in God's waiting room Florida, but there are plenty of aging boomers on the roads around here too - me included.

Just for fun, I drove the classic Mini to the license bureau, hoping they would want me to do a driving exam!   ;D

So, pretty normal, no masks on anyone, even the worker bees......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That's great that your DMV was so efficient. In my experience over the past four or five years they have taken all the criticism to heart and really stepped up their game.  When I last renewed my drivers license about three years ago it was run like a business interested in getting customers in and out.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Just be glad we're not in Misery, they disbanded all the state run offices and now licensing is done by "franchise" holders and according to Don its a complete cluster!   :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

They have never been state run up this way, at least not in the last 20 years or so. Aside from the last year with all the covid restrictions it's always been a pretty smooth operation, in and out in less than 10 minutes most of the time. Of course our population density is substantially less, but the license offices nearby are ran by just 1 or 2 people depending on the day.